• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tired of people not renewing PDGA membership!

Bugz36984

Birdie Member
Just a little rant here, seeing if anyone else agrees. I've only played 5 tournaments this year, but each time I've came across people who have not renewed their PDGA membership, therefore they have no rating associated with their names and they play way down! I'm an intermediate player, by no means spectacular, and I enjoy playing in tournaments with others of my own skill level. I'm tired of getting stuck trying to compete with players bagging! For instance, I played a tournament In February in which an "intermediate" player, not only won 1st in the intermediate division, but also shot a better score than the 1st place Open winner. Again, just this past saturday, I noticed a few names that were playing intermediate that were not intermediate players, and they again shot open scores. Am I just being a crab ***, or does this frustrate anyone else? I believe pdga events should be available for pdga and non-pdga members, but there has to be more regulation on these, once pdga members, that don't renew their membership and play down.

member or not the PDGA tracks a current rating regardless of membership status. It is my understanding that a TD has access to this info and it is on them to tell players if they are rated too high for a division.

Well the issue would be solved if everyone was given a rating. Personally, I think the PDGA is a waste of money for what it offers.

I'd rather pay the $10 per tournament than join the PDGA just so I can play in tournaments.

Well the issue would be solved if everyone was given a rating. Personally, I think the PDGA is a waste of money for what it offers.

I'd rather pay the $10 per tournament than join the PDGA just so I can play in tournaments.

again, everyone is given a pdga number and a rating. even if you never signed up. it is on the TD to look it up, the PDGA shouldn't have to police every single event.

this is my understanding, I've been wrong before in my life...

no offense to the OP but i am tired of hearing people say that someone is a bagger just because they shot the same as the open players that day.

it doesn't necessarily mean that they should be playing up. it might mean that the open players blew it that day. it might mean that person had an unusually hot round that day.

judge a player based on their rating, not their score that day or how far they can drive.

member or not the PDGA tracks a current rating regardless of membership status. It is my understanding that a TD has access to this info and it is on them to tell players if they are rated too high for a division.

Yup, i just re-picked up the sport again in July from about 5 years off, and was waiting until Oct 1 to renew, and played 1 pdga sanctioned tourney prior to renewing. I received a rating at that tourney despite not being a current pdga member. Then when I renewed on Oct 1, that became my official rating. So I could have sandbagged that tourney, but then my rating would be too high to do it again, even if i had never renewed, it would be in the system.

Insuring TD's have access to this would be a great way to prevent mass sandbagging at tourneys. People could only do it once before their name would be in the system.

we had a guy show up to a tourney a few years ago that I ran, and he hadn't been current for forever and he hadn't played in many years. i had to have him play MPO because of his 'rating', when he should have been playing intermediate. it kinda sucked having to tell the guy that.

again, everyone is given a pdga number and a rating. even if you never signed up. it is on the TD to look it up, the PDGA shouldn't have to police every single event.

this is my understanding, I've been wrong before in my life...

I do think you are correct on this one, with the caveat that the PDGA does not give rating to temp members. But people who have memberships that have lapsed do have ratings that TDs can access. What happens sometimes, usually on big and A and B Tier, is guys will be on the waitlist and get in day of the tourney when the TD doesn't have access to the internet to check the ratings.

But also I've discovered a lot of sandbagging is non-intentional. I've played a lot of non-sanctioned tourneys (only been in one PDGA tourney, btu have another this weekend) where guys will be playing their first tournament and are much better than they realize, or they don't understand divisions. The good news is, as long as you keep improving, you'll beat the sandbaggers and move up the right way and show them how it's done!

no offense to the OP but i am tired of hearing people say that someone is a bagger just because they shot the same as the open players that day.

it doesn't necessarily mean that they should be playing up. it might mean that the open players blew it that day. it might mean that person had an unusually hot round that day.

judge a player based on their rating, not their score that day or how far they can drive.

Open players play open because the DONT blow it. I could play open if I was more consistant, but I'm not, thats why I am just an intermediate player, my drives aren't consistent and my putts aren't consistent. And when your top 5 open scores are seperated by 3 strokes, I'm pretty sure there's consistency there...so you can't say open players blow it.

Oh, and I AM JUDGING players by their rating, but when they dont renew, their able to sneak into lower divisions.

I do think you are correct on this one, with the caveat that the PDGA does not give rating to temp members.

I think they do give non members a number and rating... That is the $10 supporting membership you pay if you are not a member. TDs can look up this rating.

It would be a silly system otherwise.

There was this guy at the Columbus Ice Bowl this year who won intermediate and would have placed 3rd in advanced and 4 strokes out of cashing in open! He is such a bagger and should have moved up!

I am obviously being a dick, but people have hot rounds and people have cold rounds. Just sounds like your friendly intermediate player was on fire and the open players were not playing too hot.

I haven't seen baggers at Sanctioned events. I think it's pretty easy to tell a bagger apart from a hot round. Honestly, the majority of AM players can shoot great from time to time. Their actions normally show that they are just as stoked as you are at their scores. They don't hide the enthusiasm of a hot round like a bagger does.

I see them regularly at non-sanctioned though. Guys from out of town come in, rated quite high, no one knows them, and they play ADV when they should 100% be open. (i look people up afterward to see about their ratings, the triple of "how they scored, how they acted, pdga rating tells me if they were bagging)

I'll add that it's easy to say a TD should check ratings.....but if you have a lot of people who don't pre-register, it's logistically tough to do. This weekend we had a ton of people sign up on the morning of the tournament, and it was all we could do to start on time and take their word for their division. That, or delay the player's meeting while we researched each and every one of them.

Who, if not the PDGA, would give these ratings?

Or are you saying the people who don't support the PDGA should get the same benefits as those who do?

...and how low their PDGA number is. Someone new to tournaments can't be expected to move to the highest division right away.

This conversation reminds me of all the times people get called out as baggers after the first round. I looked for it but couldn't find it. A PDGA event had a guy in Rec shoot good enough to be on the lead card in Open in the first round. He guy didn't even win rec by the end of the tournament.

me and two other people are the only current pdga members "current" in the next tourney i'm playing. in intermediate

Over the years that "bagger" tag has been thrown in almost every event I have been in.

But it is a system that can easily be manipulated.

I've seen players that would finish middle of the pack in Advanced and win nothing keep their rating low so they can win Intermediate. I've seen a player that should be in Advanced play in the Rec division because he hasn't played in 6 months. That was total BS.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal except for the weasel like mentality to just walk up and get a few discs that they don't really need anyway it's just a big self stroking ego.

Latest posts