• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tired of people not renewing PDGA membership!

Baggers are a fact of life if you play tourneys. Sucks, but unless the TD is on his/her game and is policing the situation then there's nothing to be done.

Who, if not the PDGA, would give these ratings?

Or are you saying the people who don't support the PDGA should get the same benefits as those who do?

No, not at all. Just a rating. That is all. It's absolutely stupid to have to pay $50 a year for someone to tell you a number that you can figure out on your own.

While I appreciate what the PDGA has done for the sport, I don't feel that the membership is worth the asking price. If they lowered it to $25 I think a lot more people would join.

I have a question: Played in a double tourney where the lowest divison was Intermediate and the players that won both have a 900 rating. (1 @ 893 and 1 @ 907). They shot a 75 and a 78, in advanced they played the same course as we did for 1 round and the scores ranged from 72 to 85.

Are these guys that won Intermediate BAGGERS? :confused:

I've gotten called a bagger more times than I can count, to me it's become a compliment. The first tournament I ever played in all my friends called me a bagger because I played Rec, and on the last hole of the tournament after I'd thrown my drive and was guaranteed the win one of the people on my card said "Good, now that you've won you can move up" when it turns out he'd played and cashed out 4 times in Rec in 2 months, and was just mad because it was my first tournament and I beat him. Played in 2 tournaments with the same guy since that tournament, beaten him every time on his home courses while I play them 2-3 times a year max.

It's even gotten to the point where I made a nice jump-putt in an Ace Run a few months ago and one of the guys who's been around our city longer and doesn't like how I've become a top player in our city called me a bagger under his breath.

Not sure if bagging is such commonplace it's become more common to be thrown around randomly, or the word is thrown around so much that bagging has become commonplace.

Yay a bagger thread, finally! Im 992 rated and have never played an open event (except in club singles). Go!

Baggers are a fact of life if you play tourneys. Sucks, but unless the TD is on his/her game and is policing the situation then there's nothing to be done.

Not around here. It's very hard to find instances of an actual bagger---someone who's demonstrated ability is better than the division he enters, outside of his first event or two---and everytime someone raises the claim and I look into it, it doesn't hold up.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist elsewhere---just doesn't seem to around here.

Yay a bagger thread, finally! Im 992 rated and have never played an open event (except in club singles). Go!

:eek: For shame!

Seriously, though... any particular reason? I haven't read "The Disc Golf History and Ideology of 1978" recently.

I have a "goal" set for myself now - to stay Am for 2 more years and hopefully win Am Worlds as a 39-year old (but turning 40 that November) Masters player in 2014. Then I may move up permanently. I will play some Open division tournaments for competition before then, of course, and take my winnings, if any, in merchandise.

<threadjack>

...just because I figured you'd be reading this thread, Mr. 1978.

next tourney: bradford open, huntersville, nc, 10/21

72 preregistered for Bradford according to PDGA.com. I was thinking about coming down. Does 72 = closed/waitlist available, or will they expand the field at all? It's just 2 rounds, ya? Thought you might know - your neck of the woods.

</threadjack>

That 10 bucks for a non member has nothing to do with ratings or record keeping. It's just a ploy to make money and justify members spending the money to join. If u were never a member then u will not have a member number or rating associated with anything concerning disc golf. And bagging happens all the time everywhere. But even a current pdga membership can't stop it. If a open player hasn't won in higher division he can patition to have his am status reinstated. So effectively after being out played he can become a bagger in am divisions with the blessing of the pdga

The Open player looking for reinstatement usually has to have a rating below 970 to have the chance the PDGA would approve it.

Any non-member with no PDGA number or rating also has no rights to play in a division below Advanced or Open if the TD wishes to only let them enter one of those.

Just a little rant here, seeing if anyone else agrees. I've only played 5 tournaments this year, but each time I've came across people who have not renewed their PDGA membership, therefore they have no rating associated with their names and they play way down! I'm an intermediate player, by no means spectacular, and I enjoy playing in tournaments with others of my own skill level. I'm tired of getting stuck trying to compete with players bagging! For instance, I played a tournament In February in which an "intermediate" player, not only won 1st in the intermediate division, but also shot a better score than the 1st place Open winner. Again, just this past saturday, I noticed a few names that were playing intermediate that were not intermediate players, and they again shot open scores. Am I just being a crab ***, or does this frustrate anyone else? I believe pdga events should be available for pdga and non-pdga members, but there has to be more regulation on these, once pdga members, that don't renew their membership and play down.

I will renew. Just Paypal me the money.

<threadjack>

...just because I figured you'd be reading this thread, Mr. 1978.

72 preregistered for Bradford according to PDGA.com. I was thinking about coming down. Does 72 = closed/waitlist available, or will they expand the field at all? It's just 2 rounds, ya? Thought you might know - your neck of the woods.

</threadjack>

72 is a full field for the tourney. There is a waitlist but its already pretty deep .

No I am not tired of this. I view it just like bad drivers on the road.....something you will always have to deal with.

The Open player looking for reinstatement usually has to have a rating below 970 to have the chance the PDGA would approve it.

Any non-member with no PDGA number or rating also has no rights to play in a division below Advanced or Open if the TD wishes to only let them enter one of those.

sounds like a ****ty rule. I understand the TD oversight part but not having a rating should mean that you cant play in open or advanced not the other way around.

sounds like a ****ty rule. I understand the TD oversight part but not having a rating should mean that you cant play in open or advanced not the other way around.

Not having a rating and being free to play in lower divisions is a huge invitation to bagging. That's more or less what the O.P. is complaining about.

I don't know if any TDs require unrated players to play Open or Advanced, but it's available if the TD has reason to believe that the non-member is a top player.

Can you imagine the flack you would get as a TD if you hosted a NON-PDGA tournament stipulating that ONLY non-PDGA people are elligable?

I have never competed in a disc golf tournament. I have competed in a rock climbing competition, which had a similar divisional format. "Bagging" (intentional or not) is a concern in these competitions too. All divisions compete on the same routes, similar to all golf divisions competing on the same course. Many comps have rules in place that state if you score a certain score or higher, you are automatically bumped up to the next division. Like if you threw back to back rounds rated 980+, you would be bumped to open regardless of what division you began in. Wouldn't this work in disc golf tournaments?