• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] TL3 - Evolution of the TL

I'm surprised no one has said gstar tl3 for losing that fade. It's definitely not the stiff feel of champ, but it starts out at that -1,1 and beats into -1 (maaaybe -1.5),0 in a few months. They hold stability at that point surprisingly well too. My wife has been bagging one for years and it's still a baby hyzer flip-to-flat laser with no fade and incredible glide at ~375' for me when I can convince her to let me borrow her favorite driver.

I'm surprised no one has said gstar tl3 for losing that fade. It's definitely not the stiff feel of champ, but it starts out at that -1,1 and beats into -1 (maaaybe -1.5),0 in a few months. They hold stability at that point surprisingly well too. My wife has been bagging one for years and it's still a baby hyzer flip-to-flat laser with no fade and incredible glide at ~375' for me when I can convince her to let me borrow her favorite driver.

Shh...don't tell anyone. These fly exactly like my 11x candy pro Teebirds.

Sadly not. I got impatient waiting for it to beat into more neutral and got a Star TL when I couldn't find a Star TL3 a while back. The TL was closer to that -1 1 neutral flight out of the box.

I still like the Champ TL3, but I got it before I understood that Champ would likely be more stable, so it didn't fill the role I wanted. But if others found that it beats in eventually I might cycle it back in.

My TL3s lifecycle is usually - off the shelf 8/4/0/1+ -> 8/4+/-1/1. The fade doesn't really go away, just a little added turn with a few tree hits and flashing smoothed out.

QJLS is probably the right choice for truly neutral flight and hand feel most similar to a DX or beat up Star TB

Thanks, I've been using old opaque champ Eagle Ls. They have a wonderful slow turn and next to no fade, but nearly a decade of off-and-on use is catching up, and they're reaching the end of their lifespan.

My hope was that having the straight bottom piece would yield a similar break-in. All of the champ TL3s I've owned start in a wonderful spot, but after gaining a bit if turn, they just seem to sit there forever.

TL3's aren't flashy but they get the job done. I especially like them for hyzer-flip forehands.

They definitely get the job done.

Star TL or TL3 has been a staple in the bag for some time. At my limited distance they fly pretty straight with a mild fade. Whenever I see either available at 163 grams or less I stock up. If forced to choose, I have a slight preference for the TL over the TL3.

The TL/3 is the closest approximation available in durable plastic for my old DX Teebirds. I would love to try a G* TL3 but they don't seem to be available in the light weights I prefer. Oh, well.

TL3's aren't flashy but they get the job done. I especially like them for hyzer-flip forehands.

Agreed they are fantastic forehand discs. Actually great for overhead shots as well in Champion plastic for when you want the roll to kick in early. I still prefer the regular 'ol TL for backhand because of the glide and extra D though.

They definitely get the job done.

Star TL or TL3 has been a staple in the bag for some time. At my limited distance they fly pretty straight with a mild fade. Whenever I see either available at 163 grams or less I stock up. If forced to choose, I have a slight preference for the TL over the TL3.

The TL/3 is the closest approximation available in durable plastic for my old DX Teebirds. I would love to try a G* TL3 but they don't seem to be available in the light weights I prefer. Oh, well.

I'd love a dx teebird "approximation. I just don't dare to begin a quest finding the right one with durable plastic going for 20$ a piece. Im assuming you mean the lower weight TL/3s are close to a dx bird?

I'd love a dx teebird "approximation. I just don't dare to begin a quest finding the right one with durable plastic going for 20$ a piece. Im assuming you mean the lower weight TL/3s are close to a dx bird?

I have thrown Star TLs from 157 to 166 grams. Weight does not seem to affect how they fly for me. Maybe the lighter ones stay straight a little longer, but I could be wrong.

Light Star TL3s (157-162) seem to have a little more turn compared with Star TLs of similar weight. I notice it when trying to hyzer around a corner - the TL3s will sometimes hold straight longer than I expect.

But I switch between Star TL and TL3 pretty readily.

I hope that answers your question?

Grabbed an orange star TL3 in max weight off Innova factory store a couple months ago just to try it out. The one I got is extremely flat-topped. I've found it to have just about the perfect amount of stability. Dead straight with a little finish at 75% power and finishes slightly to the right on max power throws. For me, it has replaced both the Leopard, which I've used for a long time (better hand-feel I think and less touchy), and the FDs which I've been messing around with, which I want to like, but never quite fly the same for me from shot to shot. This has been a great, controllable disc for woods tunnels and panning anhyzers. Only problem is I ordered a backup from Innova recently just to have in the trunk, but the new one is much more domey. Haven't thrown it yet, but classic Innova mold inconsistency.

Anyway, the one I've been using is a great disc and one I throw multiple times a round now. Will be in the bag for the tournaments I'm planning this spring.

Latest posts