• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] TL3 - Evolution of the TL

FWIW, I recently felt up a couple dozen regular old Star TLs, and almost all of them were really nice and flat.

If I remember correctly the TL had a ridge on the underside of the wing like a Leopard. The TL3 does not.

Please let me know if I'm mistaken. I haven't thrown a TL since the CE era. I didn't like them then. Too flippy.

If I remember correctly the TL had a ridge on the underside of the wing like a Leopard. The TL3 does not.

Please let me know if I'm mistaken. I haven't thrown a TL since the CE era. I didn't like them then. Too flippy.

I'm not 100 percent certain, but I don't think so. When I throw an L bottom nowadays, it's always on an Eagle, and they don't have the notch. I'd have to go dig my CE TL out of storage to confirm the other part.

I'm not 100 percent certain, but I don't think so. When I throw an L bottom nowadays, it's always on an Eagle, and they don't have the notch. I'd have to go dig my CE TL out of storage to confirm the other part.

The X molds had the notch, the L molds didn't. Easiest way to tell TLs from TBs and EXs from ELs.

Googling "Teebird L" yields good results. Infinite Discs has profile pictures of almost all of their discs, including L's, X's, and Leopards.
Edit: and Innova's site has a 360 degree visualizer as well.

Last edited:
Googling "Teebird L" yields good results. Infinite Discs has profile pictures of almost all of their discs, including L's, X's, and Leopards.
Edit: and Innova's site has a 360 degree visualizer as well.

Do they have profile pics of i individual discs? Id like to check out domes on D2s. Of so jow do you find these?

No, it's not the TL that has a ridge.

One side note: the TL looks like it has an Archangel-"ish" top. I'd say the first run Star TL3 is more the true Teebird-L, which is fine except I want true flat-top "3" discs...

I took the Gstar TL3 to the course today. It responded wonderfully to whatever I did to it. The TL3 is an amazing controllable fairway driver. It is in the seasoned Roc range of stability. It is a driver that could benefit anyone from beginner to expert.

Now I look forward to throwing the Star TL3 I have. It has a higher PLH than the Gstar. If it has more hss and lss I may be reconfiguring my fairway setup.

I got some more throws with the Gstar and gave the Star a whirl as well today. I'll give a bit more details and description:

The Star flew true to its flight numbers. The Gstar has some high speed turn. I would give it a -1 while retaining the same fade.

The Star can be thrown flat and will fly straight with a gentle predictable fade. It will hold a hyzer line or an anhyzer line. The anhyzers ended with a mild fade to flat.

The Gstar with a slight (roughly 10 degree) hyzer is straaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiight! It will also hyzer or anhyzer well. It flies more of a flip up hyzer than the Star. It will also hold the anhyzer longer, to the ground even, giving options for rolling too.

These 2 discs are a perfect compliment to each other. They could be the beginning of a Star TL3 cycle. They are both awesome and amazingly controllable. My favorite new disc since the Thunderbird.

An anecdote:
I was on hole 17 red tee (315' straight and mostly open) at Rockland Park today. I had the Gstar TL3 in hand, thinking to myself, "if I release this with a slight hyzer and rip it straight at the basket, it should go in."

So I do that. I have plenty of time to exclaim, "Holy $#!+ dog!" to the dog who wasn't paying attention, as the disc flipped up and tracked directly at the basket. It hit the number plate square and with heat and bounced back to 12' short and slightly right! I'm probably bagging these discs now.

TL/DR: TL3's are awesome and I highly recommend them.

Yeah yeah, ^this guy^ likes TL3's.

I've been putting the TL3 to use for everything as I'm trying to learn it's limits. I haven't found any yet.

Today I used the Gstar for backhand rollers, forehand and backhand hyzers and hyzer-flips, straight shots, you name it! It worked well for all of them.

Dare I say this is the Comet of fairway drivers?

Picture: My 3 drives on hole 17 at the Land of Rock - Champ Glow Teebird, blue Star TL3, yellow Gstar TL3 (the SOB only hit the pole today. Never had a chance!)

Attachments

• 4FBABD6B-C08D-49F1-A0A0-385CA1E5A356.jpg
    4FBABD6B-C08D-49F1-A0A0-385CA1E5A356.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 57
Extremely cool dog in that pic. :thmbup:

He's looking for the fox we saw there yesterday. I merely parked the hole that round with the Gstar. No metal, no picture. I've got a feeling I'll be posting a photo of the disc in the basket soon enough.

A month and a half later and I'm still on the honeymoon. TL3's are the finest fairway driver I've ever thrown!

I piped one Sunday 400+ feet on a rope about 6' off the ground through a wooded tunnel. It was possibly the prettiest shot I've thrown. No one on my card believed it was a TL3 until we got to it.

Teebird? I don't need no stinkin' Teebird.

A month and a half later and I'm still on the honeymoon. TL3's are the finest fairway driver I've ever thrown!

I piped one Sunday 400+ feet on a rope about 6' off the ground through a wooded tunnel. It was possibly the prettiest shot I've thrown. No one on my card believed it was a TL3 until we got to it.

Teebird? I don't need no stinkin' Teebird.

I was planning on picking up some Star TL3's next month from the Innova Pro Store. I noticed today though that Infinite has Star TL3's now too. I wonder if these are the newer embossed ones?

After reading your posts here, it looks like I should grab a Gstar as well. The question is though, is how many of each?

:)

I was planning on picking up some Star TL3's next month from the Innova Pro Store. I noticed today though that Infinite has Star TL3's now too. I wonder if these are the newer embossed ones?

After reading your posts here, it looks like I should grab a Gstar as well. The question is though, is how many of each?

Strongly recommend you compare relative shipping costs between the Innova Proshop and Infinite Discs. Infinite usually wins unless you order a lot of discs.

Meanwhile, I don't know if you like GStar (I don't; YMMV), but you might try one GStar and see how you like it. :popcorn:

Marshall Street and disc golf center have a pretty good stock as well.

My G* has developed more high speed turn. It hyzer-flips like a dream but can still be finessed to flex out or hyzer as well.

The Star is still like new: pure straight to fade, on hyzer it holds the line you put it on and anhyzers hold the line also with a gentle fade at the end. Flex lines work too.

I plan on a 3 Star cycle as I go through this season. Currently I carry the Star and G*.

Buy as many as you can justify to yourself, lol!

Strongly recommend you compare relative shipping costs between the Innova Proshop and Infinite Discs. Infinite usually wins unless you order a lot of discs.

Meanwhile, I don't know if you like GStar (I don't; YMMV), but you might try one GStar and see how you like it. :popcorn:

Infinite had a Champion Dyed TL that I've been eyeing for awhile, so I placed the full order with them. This will be my first Gstar disc, but since it's still cold here I figured I'd give it a shot for grip too.

My G* has developed more high speed turn. It hyzer-flips like a dream but can still be finessed to flex out or hyzer as well...

That actually sounds like it will work out well. I keep my Leo3 in the bag for longer turn shots, so it will be fun to compare both side by side.

Thanks for the help guys!

Latest posts