• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

To smoke, or not to smoke, that is the question

techn9cian4life

Double Eagle Member
So I searched and searched and couldn't find a thread dedicated to this topic, and it is some what of a big deal here in Boise. That is, smoking in public areas. About a year ago it was an "open air" space and you could smoke (I'm talking about cigarettes) any where on the course with out a problem. A few months ago the City Council decided it would be a good idea to make a law against smoking in "public air" space in the downtown Boise area. It just so happens that the area they designated as "public air" is about 2/3 of the park where the DG course is. Although not many smoking DG'ers abide by this rule. So I was wondering, does any one else have this "rule" on their DG course? Or is Idaho just living up to their highly conservative label by doing this? Just curious.

So I searched and searched and couldn't find a thread dedicated to this topic, and it is some what of a big deal here in Boise. That is, smoking in public areas. About a year ago it was an "open air" space and you could smoke (I'm talking about cigarettes) any where on the course with out a problem. A few months ago the City Council decided it would be a good idea to make a law against smoking in "public air" space in the downtown Boise area. It just so happens that the area they designated as "public air" is about 2/3 of the park where the DG course is. Although not many smoking DG'ers abide by this rule. So I was wondering, does any one else have this "rule" on their DG course? Or is Idaho just living up to their highly conservative label by doing this? Just curious.

It is illigal to smoke in any parks in McKinney TX. They have no interest in bothering the disc golfers about it.

Most courses around Chicago have "No Smoking" signs posted.

Similar "public air"/park district property rules cited as the reason.

I've run into a lot of these laws recently. The funny thing is, the only people that have ever tried to enforce it are people running around with beer in their hand which is illegal in my neck of the woods.

I don't know if telling people not to smoke is really conservative or liberal.....I think it's more of a legal thing :).....like a city cannot allow an activity thats dangerous to others willfully.

Last I checked, anti-smoking fervor started in liberal leaning areas, not conservative ones. But let's not let this thread get political.

There's no ordinance here presently, but a growing number of cities around the country are proposing outdoor smoking bans in places like public parks. I'd suspect one rationale for this is aside from the usual nuisance, second hand smoke, etc. arguments is that outdoor public smoking contributes to littering. God knows I've seen more cig butts, empty cig packs, and Phillies tubes on the disc course than I want to acknowledge.

... I'd suspect one rationale for this is aside from the usual nuisance, second hand smoke, etc. arguments is that outdoor public smoking contributes to littering. God knows I've seen more cig butts, empty cig packs, and Phillies tubes on the disc course than I want to acknowledge.

I'd agree with this. I don't care if you smoke, just don't blow smoke at me or my son and don't throw your butts on the ground!

i don't know of any parks in ohio where smoking is banned, however, since i don't smoke i could have easily missed a sign about it.

i'd be willing to bet that eventually it will be illegal to smoke on any goverment property in every state. prob not in my lifetime... but eventually.

Why smoke cigarettes anyways? It's a habit with few (if any) positive aspects.

no one has brought up fire safety? I don't know how it is in NC, most signs say no alcoholic beverages but you still see empty silver bullets all over the woods. It will be quite a day when they ban smoking in parks in the birthplace of big tobacco (NC/VA that is). It will probably come soon.

Cedarock/Wellspring in Burlington has a big glass container near the restroom full of butts with a sign talking about the environmental impact of the filters themselves. interesting read.

If there is no one around that would be bothered I would go ahead and light up. If there is a group of kids or old folks I would hold off until they were clear of the area.

Lol I love this thread. Not because of the content of the OP, cause that is a scary idea that hasn't made it here yet. But rather because that great government that allows and taxes the **** out of cigarettes has been limiting the places that its ok to use them. Someday once the brilliant govt has taken smoking out of all the public places and a method with better results to quit smoking have emerged, they will be kicking their own ass for all the tax money they are losing.

Crazy laws passed to make a few people happy. I was once at on off road rally in Canada, North of Montreal. Really miles and miles from any dwelling or population. It was a spectator area with Ontario Provencial Police handing out public drinking and smoking tickets in the pouring rain. Guess laws don't have to make sense. It is all good to smoke on courses here in Michigan.