• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Toboggan 2015

I'm so pumped for this tournament. Played it once so far this year. (6am Saturday morning) got them all in except for 17 & 18. Best of luck to everyone playing.

Are we going to have a DGCR and r/discgolf table at the player party/meeting/dinner? Surprised that isn't a thing yet.

The report that I heard was that made it worse believe it or not, since new weeds have sprouted up in place of the olives.

I can definitely confirm this... the rough is nastier than last year. Without the invassive Russian Olives choking them out, the native plants are bouncing back with vehement enthusiasm.

Got out to play a round with Bogey and agree. Though, I am not going to say it is worse, just differently bad. Here was a quick review I posted on DGS.

Got a chance to play yesterday. I honestly believe the removal of the Russian Olives have made this course better. It has certainly opened up the course, but long grass and the regrowth of non invasive plant life maintains the challenge of recovery shots. Errant shots are now punished, but playable, though not easy or without adding strokes....usually. The overall asthetics have been improved and the premium for staying aggresive, but within the boundries of the fairway is maintained. I think the mowing decisions are impeccable. This should provide for a superior USADGC experience for players and spectators alike!! Another fantastic job by John, Mark, Leo and the army of volunteers who make this one of the best tournaments in the nation. Also a thanks to the MetroPark system.

Didn't make it up this year, real heartbreaker. I may not get to go up north this summer for my usuall summer DG larks. This one hurts to miss though.

Another year and more restrictions on my beloved Toboggan. This year it looks like only one full day of casual play: tomorrow. I'll be there! Anyone else taking off work/carving time for the single-day Tobo frenzy?

It's awful that it's open only one day. But when the course is destroyed by people it makes sense. I'm playing the qualifyer Thursday and hopefully get to play it all weekend.

Another year and more restrictions on my beloved Toboggan. This year it looks like only one full day of casual play: tomorrow. I'll be there! Anyone else taking off work/carving time for the single-day Tobo frenzy?

I am heading out there on Thurs. for the noon doubles.

Ok, I'm a little over 12 hours away. I've played the best courses in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Missouri.

Is it worth me driving up for a round at Kensington Metropark?

Ok, I'm a little over 12 hours away. I've played the best courses in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Missouri.

'
Not sure I'd make THAT decision for you, but it is a great, long, grueling course. Big arms love it, and we noodle arms respect it.

FWIW, I'm an ~850-rated low power player and it's my favorite course in the world (out of 229 played, many of which are also top courses). I once drove 15 hours to play the Selah Ranch courses and didn't regret, and I prefer Toboggan to Creekside & Lakeside, if only by a slight margin. Big arms love it, and I've heard noodle arms like me pan its open layout, but it's a unique play if nothing else. You get a sense of grand scale there that has no equal, and I argue it's the closest disc golf feels to large, dramatic ball golf. Looking at our mutual played courses: think the length of WR Jackson & Indian Creek, the elegant, land-focused design of Nevin (but in the open), and elevation change unlike any course you've played before.

All that being said, it's a ton of fun, but will almost certainly be packed to the gills tomorrow. If you don't like tournament-level slowdowns and crowds it might not be worth traveling all that distance for.

Ann Arbor, while Toboggan is playable, is totally worth doing :)

FWIW, I'm an ~850-rated low power player and it's my favorite course in the world (out of 229 played, many of which are also top courses). I once drove 15 hours to play the Selah Ranch courses and didn't regret, and I prefer Toboggan to Creekside & Lakeside, if only by a slight margin. Big arms love it, and I've heard noodle arms like me pan its open layout, but it's a unique play if nothing else. You get a sense of grand scale there that has no equal, and I argue it's the closest disc golf feels to large, dramatic ball golf. Looking at our mutual played courses: think the length of WR Jackson & Indian Creek, the elegant, land-focused design of Nevin (but in the open), and elevation change unlike any course you've played before.

All that being said, it's a ton of fun, but will almost certainly be packed to the gills tomorrow. If you don't like tournament-level slowdowns and crowds it might not be worth traveling all that distance for.

Yeah, if tomorrow is the only day for open play, you can plan on 5-6 hour rounds...maybe longer.

FYI today is it for casual rounds. Thu the course is closed for LAST CHANCE QUALIFIER Tourney

After all the tourney cards have checked in on Thu, Fri, and Sat, you can probably squeeze a round in if you're already in the area. We have daylight till about 9PM.

Word to the wise, the native plants have grown in with a vengeance since the cutback of invasive Russion Olives a couple of years ago. While much of the regrowth lining the fairways could be called undergrowth (i.e. most of it isn't tall enough to influence your shot off the tee), OMG is it thick. Searching for discs that leave the fairways is truly a chore, once again.

FYI today is it for casual rounds. Thu the course is closed for LAST CHANCE QUALIFIER Tourney

After all the tourney cards have checked in on Thu, Fri, and Sat, you can probably squeeze a round in if you're already in the area. We have daylight till about 9PM.

Word to the wise, the native plants have grown in with a vengeance since the cutback of invasive Russion Olives a couple of years ago. While much of the regrowth lining the fairways could be called undergrowth (i.e. most of it isn't tall enough to influence your shot off the tee), OMG is it thick. Searching for discs that leave the fairways is truly a chore, once again.

Good quick review, Bogey. Played yesterday and the Russian Olive that had been cleared, is growing back and is about knee high. Along with a reinvigorated growth of the native flora, it is indeed thick as ever. The rough does not punish your next shot too badly.....if you find it. Toss in some poison ivy and it is just unpleasant to end up off the fairway.

I saw you are helping out both day.....I am sure I will see you out there at some point.

Yeah, the rough was much meaner than I had expected. My +10 last year regressed to a +17 this year. :(

Latest posts