• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] TOBU Ping

I am surprised to hear that it is now approved... I thought they were waiting to get feedback from testers prior to sending it for PDGA approval. I also thought it was going to be around speed 12 and Destroyer like. Sounds like a great disc though.

Got mine yesterday, I'm in Oregon so I can't imagine you'd be much farther away. Hopefully you get it today.

I was surprised at the fairway-likeness of it. I too was thinking Destroyer/Wraith.

Despite the rim config it flies a lot like my beat pro wraith, I've only thrown it a bit, i'll spend some more time this evening with it.

Last edited:
It's a good roller disc for me in a head wind throwing left hand forhand.
The rim is like and eagle but it just slightly larger and it tapers up more.
My max distance with it was about 280ft. My wraith same weight I can get 340ft with a max of 370ish.
To me it's like my champion eagle just about the same flight in the wind and distance is very close.

I had a few practice throws with this. It is much more US than I thought it would be. Probably a -3

I got mine in the mail yesterday but haven't thrown it yet. It looks similar to a Salient Flatline but with a wider rim. It's extremely concave with a slightly droopy nose. Very nice plastic. You have to turn the cap counter clockwise to make sure it is flat prior to tightening it clockwise. It is slightly awkward trying to tighten due to the aerodynamic shape of the cap but the dimples help in that regard and it's not a problem.

I haven't downloaded the app yet. I have to clear memory on my iphone and update the iOS software.

My beeper isn't very loud. I was out in a forest type course and the birds chirping were louder than the disc beeping. I almost lost it a couple times. It's false sense of security, I throw but think that I don't need to pay attention to where it lands because it has a tracker on it.

Mine isn't super understable, I can hyzer flip it out to 300 feet without worrying about it turning over and not coming back. I was hoping for something along the lines of a wraith, but it's a usable fairway for sure. Probably more beginner friendly than a wraith would be.

Haven't read all posts fully, but the website sucks along with the info they gave on the PDGA approval. All it mentions is the technology. Who in their right mind cares only about that? This company needs some serious branding help or its going to be a joke amongst disc golfers. The marketing/focus should be all on flight of disc...then "oh by the way, you can track/find this with Bluetooth technology".

I downloaded the App last night and played around with it. I agree that the beeper could be louder. I had my kids hide it in various locations around the house and the tracker/beeper combo worked pretty well.

I wasn't overly impressed with the disc itself. The plastic feels grippy in certain conditions but it can get slick/slippery... similar to MVP plastic. The disc has a lot of turn and then a very late dumpy fade... I would rate it 9 4 -3 3 on the Innova scale. I could see it being useful in certain situations but not as a primary driver.

The layout and features on the app look good but there seems to be some bugs. I couldn't get the course finder to work and I wasn't able to add a course. I could enter course information but couldn't figure out how to save it.

https://translate.google.com/#et/en/tobu > fool
ILgzEup.gif

I just ordered a charge.
I am excited to check it out.
Hoping it will help with long prairie shots.
kicking around in 3 feet of prickers gets old.

Got the disc last night, tested it for a bit in the dark.
Love the plastic, feels like a teebird in the hand, flies like one also.
The app worked well.
I am taking it out to do more testing tonight, I expect it to make the bag and knock out my flippy teebird, or stable leopard

Got the disc last night, tested it for a bit in the dark.
Love the plastic, feels like a teebird in the hand, flies like one also.
The app worked well.
I am taking it out to do more testing tonight, I expect it to make the bag and knock out my flippy teebird, or stable leopard

:eek: wow! .. would have never thought id hear that .. fwiw i have no interest in the disc and know very little about it but it is nice to hear that can actually pull off some lines .. assumed it was just a selling gimmick and would never make it in someones actual bag

I quite like my Ping/Charge. The plastic is great, very durable and grippy. It's been in the bag from day 1.

I've been only impressed with the folks at Tobu, they have been professional and when compared with some of the other random startups that are still around, I think Tobu will do just fine.

I will say they are charging a bit much, their website has them for 36 bucks plus 5 bucks shipping. I can see paying maybe $30 overall and that's a little on the steep end. I know what electronics cost, these really don't need to be that expensive.

:eek: wow! .. would have never thought id hear that .. fwiw i have no interest in the disc and know very little about it but it is nice to hear that can actually pull off some lines .. assumed it was just a selling gimmick and would never make it in someones actual bag

Yes, it is a usable disc. Mine has more turn than what others are describing but fights out of it with a late, dumpy fade. The plastic is too shiny/slippery for me but others seem to like it.

I am hoping that they sell enough of these to stay in business. Sounds like they have more plans in the works to add accelerometers which would be a lot more fun to play around with.

I got mine and discovered that my droid was incompatible. I put it on my wifes iphone and I got to play with the app. I agree the beeper could be louder. I need to take it out and throw it. Until then I see a option they might not have considered yet. I would put the option in the store to sell it with out the electronics. The reason being is that I see this as being a KILLER glow disc. I can take my own battery and my sweet custom LED's and put them in the compartment and I wont have to monkey with tape coming off in rain or dew. This could be a super sweet glow disc... I really hate the tape on led's that are out there for sale now.

Latest posts