• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Ten DG Courses

How about New England. Maple Hill and Borderland in Mass are amazing courses for both length and technicality, not to mention amazing pieces of property (especially Borderland). Having read about and seen pics of many of the courses already mentioned I realize New England courses may not compare, but I gotta give props to my Massachusetts courses.

Tim,
Now that there are a fair amount of courses with 10+ reviews, any thought of increasing the the list for top 10 courses to have at least 15+ reviews? Also, any more thought on dropping the highest and lowest scores for courses, to weed out the random ratings, a la the 2.0 for Renny?

I don't think I'll be dropping highest/lowest but upping the top 10 requirement isn't out of the question. There are currently 143 courses on the site with over 10 reviews and 182 with over 9 (the current requirement).

I don't think I'll be dropping highest/lowest but upping the top 10 requirement isn't out of the question. There are currently 143 courses on the site with over 10 reviews and 182 with over 9 (the current requirement).

Yeah, I think the rating should be calculated gymnastics style. Throw out the low and the high...or even the two lowest and two highest...then average it out. There are some courses that have review ratings that are way off the norm. Those shouldn't be considered relevant. I'm not a professional statistical analyst or anything, but I'm pretty sure that's a better way. (I was trying to figure out a way to use the words "standard deviation" in there, but I'm not positive how to use it...can someone help me out with that?)

Tim,
Now that there are a fair amount of courses with 10+ reviews, any thought of increasing the the list for top 10 courses to have at least 15+ reviews? Also, any more thought on dropping the highest and lowest scores for courses, to weed out the random ratings, a la the 2.0 for Renny?
Considering the regional bias that we have on the forum, I think this would actually be a bad idea, as it would continue to skewer the data in favor of courses in those areas where we have a concentration of members. If the current threshold is nine, I actually think it should be lowered a bit. Seven perhaps?

I can guarantee everyone that if we had equal representation across the entire country (and world), a great deal of the courses on the top 10 list would not be there. In fact, some of them wouldn't be in the top 25.

Standard Deviation is the average of the distances the scores are away from the mean score (average). Eliminating any scores that are a given amount of standard deviation away from the mean would counter some review bias.

I don't like the throwing out the bottom and the top idea. If this were a poll I'd vote to leave everything the way it is. There's nothing wrong with a minimum of 10 reviews.

I feel there is definately an east coast bias on this site since that is where it originated. I wonder timg if you had any info as to how many people are from each state on this site? Might take too long but would be a cool stat.

It wouldn't be accurate since everybody doesn't fill in their location. I'd guess that the bias isn't really so oriented towards the east coast anymore though. I think both coasts have pretty good representation on the site these days, it's the middle states that aren't getting much love (Iowa, etc.).

Black Falls Disc Club Montgomery, VT 18 DISCatcher Mixed
Frontier Park Hays, KS 18 Mach 3 Asphalt
Fuller Park Muscatine, IA 18 DISCatcher Concrete
Giants Ridge Biwabik, MN 18 Mach 3 Concrete
Glacier Point Glacier Point, AK 18 Tone Grass
Grindstone Park Ruidoso, NM 18 DISCatcher Gravel
Indian Hills Community College Ottumwa, IA 18 Mach 3 Concrete
Lucky 8 Lavalette, WV 18 Mixed Gravel
Sabattus Disc Golf - Eagle Sabattus, ME 18 Mach 2 Concrete
The Lodge - Island Course

Top 10 According to the site....

It wouldn't be accurate since everybody doesn't fill in their location.

Tim, can't you make setting a location (at least state) part of the new user registration? I don't think it would turn off people too enter a city or even a zip code as standard information.

Now to the big issue - Problem is that if you up it to 15, all of the gems that finally got love and were rated are thrown back out again. I don't think it is a bad idea, but if only about 7% of the total courses meet this standard so far - don't you think it's still a little early. Also, what's the big deal is 10 people mark one course all 5's and 15 people mark another course all 4's? Should we discount it since it obviously has something to offer?

Kind of like a business where is takes at least 3 years to break even - I think this site should at least hit it's third birthday before raising that bar. By then we're talking around 7000+ members and probably about 10% meeting the minimum review rating. You'll also have enough reviewers and trusted reviewers by then to make a more accurate call. Again, not opposed - but I think it's still a bit early. (Gotta give Iowa some time! ;) )

Last edited:
Tim,

Oh, and I don't think dropping the highest and lowest would be and issue at all and probably more accurately reflect the true course rating. But again, that is something that I also think should wait a while until the overall review minimum is raised.

Tim,

You could always buy Redneck Machismos some plane tickets and have him play and rate Flip City, Tyler, Idlewild etc....that might balance things out..HaHa!

I don't know how Pier Park makes the Top 10 for this site and De LaVeaga doesn't. I've played them both and it's not even close. Not even close!
DSCJNKY

What about considering the number of courses a person played as a factor in their rating. If a person has only ever played 2 courses, what qualifies them to rate anything? I think more weight should be given to ratings by players who have clearly played enough courses to make their ratings credible.

Of course this would require some sort of algaryhthmic equation and therefore be impossible to accomplish. However, you guys have done some amazing compilation of statisticsin the past... so i guess anything is possible.
DSCJNKY

What about considering the number of courses a person played as a factor in their rating. If a person has only ever played 2 courses, what qualifies them to rate anything?
This has been addressed in past threads. It's easily possible Ken Climo (or insert your favorite seasoned veteran) could register here and not want to take the time to mark the 100's of courses he's played. If he wants to mark two courses as played and review just those two then his value should count just as much as all the other members.