• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Toronto Area Courses

Greg Layton

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Life is a funny thing. In my life I've moved from Northeast Kansas to Chicago, IL to Grand Rapids, MI. After experiencing two winters here, I swore my next move would be south instead of northeast. However, an opportunity has now come up for me to possibly be promoted to a position in Toronto, ON. Of course, instead of thinking about the cost of living or where we'd live the first thing that pops into my head is "I wonder what the disc golf scene is like?" :eek:

After taking a look at the map here I'm not really impressed. It looks like Toronto Island and Bronte are the two best courses around Toronto (and all of Ontario, actually). And even those two seem kind of sketchy if you consider it costs $13 to enter Bronte and $15 to get to T.I.

I realize it's only two hours to Buffalo and three hours to Rochester, but even though I've never been to Canada I'm going to guess that crossing over the border is a pain and takes time.

Is there something I'm failing to consider? Can Canadian residents comment on non-DG issues?

Wikipedia is kind of contradictory on the issue: "Toronto is consistently rated as one of the world's most livable cities by the Economist Intelligence Unit[14] and the Mercer Quality of Living Survey.[15] In addition, Toronto was ranked as the most expensive Canadian city in which to live in 2006[update]."

So it's a nice city, but it costs a lot. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I need to get back to work. Any comments/suggestions/advice/criticisms would be appreciated.

i've heard lots of good things about toronto. i don't know about the cost of living, but there is LOTS to do there.

as far as crossing the border i live near petoskey, michigan Greg and i have been across the border several times. i also have a friend who has relatives that live in canada. crossing the border is almost an afterthought. most of the time all it requires is a drivers license. after 9-11 they required a passport for a while, i'm not sure if they still need it or not. i would get one any way. but i wouldn't worry about being stuck at the border.

I live in Buffalo and went to Toronto 2 days ago. Crossing the border takes only slightly more time than going through a toll-booth, but for the time waiting in line, which depends on the traffic. For a US citizen with a passport it is pretty much a non-issue. "Where are you going? Where have you been? Have any booze, guns or tobacco on you? OK - go ahead" is the typical ritual. Right now a driver's license or other state photo ID AND birth certificate (you need both) can be substituted for a passport, but soon you will need a passport, or a special "secure" driver's license.

I live in Buffalo and went to Toronto 2 days ago. Crossing the border takes only slightly more time than going through a toll-booth, but for the time waiting in line, which depends on the traffic. For a US citizen with a passport it is pretty much a non-issue. "Where are you going? Where have you been? Have any booze, guns or tobacco on you? OK - go ahead" is the typical ritual. Right now a driver's license or other state photo ID AND birth certificate (you need both) can be substituted for a passport, but soon you will need a passport, or a special "secure" driver's license.

I have a passport, so that's not really an issue. Nice to know that it's a fast process.

Like Matt said, crossing the border isn't a big deal and if you do it a lot I think you can use this EZ-Pass type service. As far as courses and the scene, there seem to be a lot of disc golfers up there. The island is a nice course but having to take a ferry every time you want to play would kind of suck.. you could never really play a quick round. I really like Bronte and the day I went the toll booths weren't open so you don't always have to pay.

Just wanted to add that the Q.E.W. (the highway that links Toronto to Buffalo) is a sort of unofficial Autobahn once you pass Hamilton, and you could easily make a 90-minute trip on a good day.

Not that I'd ever speed. ;)

Toronto is a great city, but like you read the cost of living is super high. You'd be looking at a tiny condo for $120,000+ or renting for NYC prices of $1500/month, so hope that you will be raking in the cash at that new job. That said the public transit system is really good, and the streetcars are unique transportation options. The border crossing isn't too much of an issue as long as you don't try to cross at a peak time on a weekend or holiday...usually it only adds around 10 minutes to the trip each way. And you can drive pretty fast on the QEW, I usually set my cruise at 82mph and haven't had any issues, and people still occasionally pass you north of Hamilton. It's too bad the ferry didn't pan out, because some of the Rochester area courses are really good, not knocking the courses around here, Rochester just has a better mix of courses. Good Luck any other questions ask...