• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournament Directors Playing

I am TDing one tournament and co-TDing another tournament this year. I will be able to get to a maximum of two other tournaments, probably only one other, and possibly no other tournaments. If I wasn't able to play in the ones I am TDing, there is not way I would be willing to take them on. I'm not giving up that many tournaments. I'm not willing to sacrifice that much playing opportunity just to make the tournament slightly more well-oiled and sooth the whiners.

There is one thing I am doing in addition to the above suggestions: I have someone else who will be taking in the score cards, assigning cards, and making and rulings on disagreements in my division (I am handling all other divisions)

Out of curiosity: those who don't think TDs should play in a tournament: how many do you TD?

I have no problem with a TD playing in his own tournament. TD's are already stepping up to volunteer their time for little or no pay. Why would you want to penalize him for offering to do that? He is already being penalized as a player since he does not get the time to warm up, and prep for the tournament like the other players do. Sure it would make for a smoother tournament if he was not playing, but being patient and not whinning is the least we can do to thank him for putting the tournament together.

Amusing that someone who is just PLAYING would call someone who's playing and WORKING to make the tournament available to him a "Slacker TD".

If you are in an area with either a strong club or lots of seasoned players who are good guys and know the flow of how things are done they step up without being asked (or after being asked before the event) to help with score checking and stuff that needs to be done between rounds. It is also smart for a TD to deputize an official or 2 before the event to help with any rules issues that come up.

IMO, it is plain wrong if the TD wants to play for people to have the attitude that he shouldn't. It is selfish and to think the TD is selfish to want to play and illustrates that the complainer has no clue what it takes to run an event.

One little rule TD's should know should they arrive late to their tee is this rule from the Competition Manual:
1.5.B.1: A throw by a player
between the two minute signal and
the start of the round shall receive a
warning if observed by two or more players
or an official. After being warned, subsequent
throws by the player during this period, if
observed by two or more players or an
official, shall result in one penalty throw
added to the player's score, regardless of the
number of throws.

If he wants to practice after the 2 minute warning, he can do so at the risk of 2 players warning him and at the risk of a maximum of just 1 stroke. Even in a worst case scenario, the extra warm up might be worth well more than 1 stroke.

I have been doing this since the late 90's and other than my occasional desire to strangle some people there isn't anything real difficult about it. All it takes is a little help.

If you are in an area with either a strong club or lots of seasoned players who are good guys and know the flow of how things are done they step up without being asked (or after being asked before the event) to help with score checking and stuff that needs to be done between rounds. It is also smart for a TD to deputize an official or 2 before the event to help with any rules issues that come up.

IMO, it is plain wrong if the TD wants to play for people to have the attitude that he shouldn't. It is selfish and to think the TD is selfish to want to play and illustrates that the complainer has no clue what it takes to run an event.

One little rule TD's should know should they arrive late to their tee is this rule from the Competition Manual:
number of throws.

If he wants to practice after the 2 minute warning, he can do so at the risk of 2 players warning him and at the risk of a maximum of just 1 stroke. Even in a worst case scenario, the extra warm up might be worth well more than 1 stroke.

i always putt after the 2 minute warning if i'm td'ing and playing- carlton howard (who co-wrote the rule book) taught me to do it. if someone warns you you just stop...

i always putt after the 2 minute warning if i'm td'ing and playing- carlton howard (who co-wrote the rule book) taught me to do it. if someone warns you you just stop...

That's awesome. I'll have to try it next tournament I play in.

number of throws.

Sorry, but I view that as a "willful attempt to circumvent the rules of play" in violation of CM3.3(5), subject to disqualification. Who gets to make the call to have the TD disqualified?

Sorry, but I view that as a "willful attempt to circumvent the rules of play" in violation of CM3.3(5), subject to disqualification. Who gets to make the call to have the TD disqualified?

Considering the head of the rules committee for nearly 20 years and pretty much the guy who wrote the rules (Carlton Howard) would putt after 2 min until he was warned, it's ok.

I would say up to a C-Tier this is okay, but anything larger than that would probably be end up being a fuster cluck more often than not. The TD is putting a lot of time and energy into the event so maybe they should be allowed to have a little fun while there too.

I have played in tournaments where the TD's play. Only the TD's who know how to run effective tournaments and have a little experience under their belts have pulled it off.

One guy tried to play in a local tournament he was TDing. There was to be lunch provided but someone had to go get it. Lunch time came, and there was no pizza to be found. Then, when he and his card arrived, he had to drive 30 minutes to get pizza and we had about 15 minutes to eat and rush to our tee. That was a bad experience because we were playing a par 69 gold course and had no time to prepare for our next round.

On the contrary, I have been to a couple very big tournaments where the TD played and it went great. Just depends on the person TDing and how serious they take their job.

If a TD knows how to run an organized event, there should be no problem with him playing his own event.

If he's an idiot that tries to do everything on his own, has nobody to sit at HQ and help newer players with rules questions, emergency info, etc, then he can reap what he sows and stay at HQ.

It all comes down to how organized the event is.

A tiers require a non playing certified official. B and C tiers do not.

Just something to keep in mind.

I guess I fall into the slacker TD category. :(

I TD/play in C-tiers that I put together because they are low maintenance. Also I have a great group of guys in our club that are willing to jump in and help which is key. If you don't have people lending a hand then it does become a hassle.
Most of the work to put on a tournament is pre-tournament if your organized well. We've got it down to day of TD duties being day of reg, in which most of the board is already done prior we just need to collect cash. During second round we have someone putting together payout. If we dont have a non player we do it during lunch or partially organize it the night before. We have multiple certified officials who can check cards and make calls for other divisions. Etc Etc.

The problem I run into is getting people to step up and TD for larger events where we need multiple non-playing TDs. Especially after they see how we run our smaller events with playing TDs. It's hard to justify making someone sit around all day watching discgolfers and not getting to join in.

I am more okay with this when....

1. The tournament field is smaller (say less than 50).
2. The tournament is a C-tier or unsanctioned.
3. The tourney venue has been reasonably secured to keep non-participants out.
4. The TD is well experienced in running events.
5. The TD has a non-playing assistant holding down the fort.

Personally, if I ever run a tournament, I'm going to make it a habit not to play until I get comfortable doing so, and I'm not one who likes to leave a cash box with $1-2K in it and boxes of discs and equipment unattended, even if it is under lock.

Oh yeah I've also noticed that people don't realize that I'm the TD. But it doesn't bother me. My goal is to provide an event not sit around and bask in the thanks for providing it. :thmbup:

I am more okay with this when....

1. The tournament field is smaller (say less than 50).
2. The tournament is a C-tier or unsanctioned.
3. The tourney venue has been reasonably secured to keep non-participants out.
4. The TD is well experienced in running events.
5. The TD has a non-playing assistant holding down the fort.

Personally, if I ever run a tournament, I'm going to make it a habit not to play until I get comfortable doing so, and I'm not one who likes to leave a cash box with $1-2K in it and boxes of discs and equipment unattended, even if it is under lock.

The Earlewood Classic is a B-tier run by Ed Garris. It fills to 100 people (in about 8 minutes of online registration), and is one as smoothly as any event you might attend. Ed has played in every one in my memory (15 years or more). He knows his stuff.

Securing cash is an issue but, as I mentioned before, securing the scoreboard and earlier scorecards is about as important. Imagine trying to reconstitute it based on everyone's memory.