• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournament Divisions

ptsawyer

Anyone know the basic ettiquette for choosing tournament divisions? I have played in 1 tourney so far, but it was doubles. I am a new PDGA memeber, so I do not have a rating. What are the guidelines for choosing? I dont want to sandbag, but I would like to be in a position where I might place as well. Is it OK for me to play Novice (since I have no ranking) for my first tournament, even though there is a good change I could win by a few strokes?

I played "Rec" for my first tournament. I got 11th place, which I didn't think was too bad. I say start there and just see what happens.

I say be realistic and what will challenge you.

I just started playing in May but really picked up the sport and consider my self pretty decent. First tourney over the weekend and I entered advanced (from pro/adv/rec). There were quite lot more people in the advanced division. I ended up getting fourth which makes me feel a lot better than having "sand bagged" in rec, which I would have won easily.

I've only played in one sanctioned event so far so I started in Rec and got 6th out of 14 players. Here's my plan from here on out: Don't move up until I win (and a win on my home course is not going to count). I'll use this from here on out, if I ever make Intermediate I'm not moving up to Advanced until I win.

If you want something in definitive terms go by these rules.

1. You may play Rec MA-3 until your ranking is above 899 without scorn.
2. You should play MA-2 at your home course if your ranking is between 850 and 934 or on the road if your rating is 900 to 934.
3.If your rating is above 935 your will have enough experience to know where you should play :)
4. Do not play MA-4 if you have enough disc golf knowledge to be reading these forums or unless your are playing in your first tournament with less than three months experience. (Warning: no matter who wins MA-4, they will be considered a Bagger by their competition in Ma-4) :)

If you know a few tournament experienced players who've seen you play you can get a good idea from them what division you should play.

You can also look on the PDGA site at the past tournaments on courses you played to see how your scores compare to what was shot in the tournaments.

As far as MA4/Novice goes there are a reasonable number of (male) players who are simply rated below 850 and will play there for much of their career.

ERic

Latest posts