• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournament Names are Out of Control

About 15 years ago, I counted up 72 tournaments with the name "Championship" in them. With up to 27 divisions, I figured there was a championship available for everyone, and I was being left out.

At that time, South Carolina had two long-running championships -- the South Carolina Disc Golf Championship, and the South Carolina Flying Disc Championship (which was an old-style, disc golf + field events tournament). Then someone started a new event in the state and dubbed it the "Tournament Players Championship". So 3 of the "championships" were in my little state....and I still couldn't win one.

But, yeah, I think you have free reign for any bombastic event name you can think of.

Years ago, I ran a weekly league naming it with the intent to have it be the longest name on the PDGA event list. I had a little back and forth with the PDGA to truncate the name, since they weren't able to accomodate my original "naming convention".

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/20441

Man, I don't know. I would REALLY like for our club to run the:

1st Annual Discraft Ann Arbor Area Championships presented by Bells proudly announcing our partnership with Zuca and Keen with payouts provided by the Detroit Red Wings with lunch sponsored by Culvers.

I REALLY want to play that event, ru

Despite my objections to any 1st event having the word annual attached

Man, I don't know. I would REALLY like for our club to run the:

1st, Hopefully to be Annual, Discraft Ann Arbor Area Championships presented by Bells proudly announcing our partnership with Zuca and Keen with payouts provided by the Detroit Red Wings with lunch sponsored by Culvers.

FTFY.

I dont really mind other than the CANNABIS IS THE BEST DOPE EVER FOR REALS DUDE OPEN 2022

I know, I know. Its legal in a lot of places. I've partaken in my youth several times. Its not a "drug" in my books as much as the rest. But still to have it in a tournament name and advertising is just weird.