• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournament Waitlists

I've been saying for several years that the PDGA's "first come" rule has outlived its rationale.

But whatever we do will have flaws. Ultimately, half of the solution is for the number of events to increase to match supply (half, because there'll still be some events that are highly popular and thus highly desirable). I'm waiting to see more targeted events -- Masters only, Women only, Recreational only, and so on, so that multiple tournaments can be held in close proximity, without actually competing with each other. Who'll run them? That's the rub.

I've been saying for several years that the PDGA's "first come" rule has outlived its rationale.

But whatever we do will have flaws. Ultimately, half of the solution is for the number of events to increase to match supply (half, because there'll still be some events that are highly popular and thus highly desirable). I'm waiting to see more targeted events -- Masters only, Women only, Recreational only, and so on, so that multiple tournaments can be held in close proximity, without actually competing with each other. Who'll run them? That's the rub.

That is easy.....Nate Heinold. :p................:|

But, I have been running across more TD ventures. People looking to make money and form a business out of running disc golf tournaments and leagues. Perhaps sponsoring players, as well. Oft using disc sales and payout profits to help back up the revenue. Maybe there is a market for this.

That is easy.....Nate Heinold. :p................:|

But, I have been running across more TD ventures. People looking to make money and form a business out of running disc golf tournaments and leagues. Perhaps sponsoring players, as well. Oft using disc sales and payout profits to help back up the revenue. Maybe there is a market for this.

We have one of those around here. I believe he's expanding to deputizing people to run tournaments under his operation, enabling him to run more than one per weekend.

That would be very annoying. Why would anyone bother playing with 4 holes not played? Why wouldn't they just fill the spot when the player missed check in?

That's the thing....the 'show up at the tourney waitlisted' players tend to go home and then the TD has groups of three that could have been filled. I "think" the reasoning is that the PDGA app waits 4 holes of a player getting par+4 before asking if they should be removed. But I can also understand the TD waiting...what happens if the player is just late? At the Memorial thus year we had a player misread their tee time...they showed up when their card was on the 15th hole. They finished the round with their group and also played the rest of the rounds. Is it fair to tell a player who is running late..too bad, you paid to be here but because you weren't here exactly on time you can't play - we gave your spot to someone else? Each TD makes their own decision on what to do with no shows and late arrivals....but it should be stated in the About/Registration for the tournament.

Is it fair to tell a player who is running late..too bad, you paid to be here but because you weren't here exactly on time you can't play - we gave your spot to someone else? Each TD makes their own decision on what to do with no shows and late arrivals....but it should be stated in the About/Registration for the tournament.

I think it is. Players are responsible for showing up, and on time. As long as I can remember -- and that's over a quarter-century, now -- it's been normal and expected around here for players to lose their spots if they don't show up.

Also, TDs should specify a check-in time. No other notice is required, because forfeiture of the spot is included in the rules.

Is it fair to tell a player who is running late..too bad, you paid to be here but because you weren't here exactly on time you can't play - we gave your spot to someone else? Each TD makes their own decision on what to do with no shows and late arrivals....but it should be stated in the About/Registration for the tournament.

I think it is. Players are responsible for showing up, and on time. As long as I can remember -- and that's over a quarter-century, now -- it's been normal and expected around here for players to lose their spots if they don't show up.

Also, TDs should specify a check-in time. No other notice is required, because forfeiture of the spot is included in the rules.

I am with David here. The player only has one real responsibility, show up on time. The TD has hundreds at that same time. It simply is not really fair to the TD, cardmates or waitlisters, to hold a spot....in case. We have had players text/call the TD, letting them know they will be late and still wish to play. I think accommodating them is fine.

At the Memorial thus year we had a player misread their tee time...they showed up when their card was on the 15th hole. They finished the round with their group and also played the rest of the rounds. Is it fair to tell a player who is running late..too bad, you paid to be here but because you weren't here exactly on time you can't play - we gave your spot to someone else? Each TD makes their own decision on what to do with no shows and late arrivals....but it should be stated in the About/Registration for the tournament.

I guess the Memorial may be a different beast. People traveled from around the country for that. I would still want to play in that situation.

TD's phone number is listed on the PDGA page. No call no show, you lose your spot.

I had to use it one time due to an accident on I-95. Still made it on time. Another time I called a friend to tell the TD I was cutting it close.