• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Transition from one plastic to another

BENFTS

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
So I'm sorry if this has been asked before but here it is.

How many of you have used one type of plastic and decided on transitioning to the same disc in a different plastic? Personally I used DX and Pro for a long time but when the Star plastic came out I wanted nothing to do with the old stuff. Now I'm looking through my bag and wouldn't you know half of it is back to the DX and Pro stuff. Personally I feel like a Pro is the best stuff out there for grip and feel but how do you feel? Is this something you have gone through as well?

I like to carry the same mold in different plastics to cover different shots.

For me this does mainly pertain to my EXPs

I use the "pro" version akin to a champ TB (except for the durability part) and I use my CE versions for FH, major headwinds etc

in the 2 plastics they are very different discs

it does also apply to my destroyers
beat FR star for general distance and glide
champ for hyzers and headwinds

Really depends on the disc for me, both in purpose and in mold. Some I either started or upgraded to Champ/Star and then ended up happiest with dx or pro (Stingray and Leopard are good examples). For some discs, especially overstable molds, I want champ so they stay they way they're supposed to be. Overall I prefer premium plastics but if the base plastics serve the need better, then that's what I'll use and just live with cycling them out.

Really depends on the disc for me, both in purpose and in mold. Some I either started or upgraded to Champ/Star and then ended up happiest with dx or pro (Stingray and Leopard are good examples). For some discs, especially overstable molds, I want champ so they stay they way they're supposed to be. Overall I prefer premium plastics but if the base plastics serve the need better, then that's what I'll use and just live with cycling them out.

This.

Me too. This allows me to really get a great feel for a particular disc. Nearly all the different plastics have their own flight characteristics, even within the various runs; subtle or otherwise. Personally, I'd rather learn to shape a shot within the same mold than carry 18 separate molds.

My bag runs the gamut. Not a lot of Star/ESP stuff in there at the moment though.

Me too. This allows me to really get a great feel for a particular disc. Nearly all the different plastics have their own flight characteristics, even within the various runs; subtle or otherwise. Personally, I'd rather learn to shape a shot within the same mold than carry 18 separate molds.

Yup. Matter of fact I'm in the process of killing 4 molds in one..and after 60 or so holes I haven't missed any:

Q-OLF > Banshee
Q/S-OLF > Flow
S-OLF > Teebird
M-OLF > River

Always liked premium plastic, never looked back. I only use star and ESP, with the occasional champ or Z plastic for the woods.

That D plastic is what my dogs water bowl is made off. Just does not feel sexy enugh in my hand.

I use what works for me.
Mostly base and X/Pro plastics for understable duties (Duh!)
Otherwise, I use Star or Champ for durability and consistency of flight.

I use different plastics for different shots.

Example, I carry a dx leopard and a champ.

The dx goes right and stays right. The champ is great for shaping lines as they always have a nice s flight.

For me it's the disc that determines comfort. Not the type of plastic

I do not like Pro plastic at all.. I like to have some discs in Multiple plastics.. The valk I have a Champ & DX.. Looking to get a Star and 2nd Champ as a backup.. Then for Teebird I have a DX & am getting a champ.. It's all about gripiness & durability for me.

Personally I was using Star First run Destroyers and lost the pair in the water2 years ago, so I decided to get the Pro Destroyers to replace them, I have gone back to Pro Leopard as well. I still keep a DX Eagle side by side with my Star Eagle X. I just wish that the Xcal came in Pro plastic.

Once my throwing improved enough I could trust my aim, I abandoned lo-kwality plastic for premium, for durability and longevity of flight performance.

Latest posts