• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Treasure your good health folks

I'm 56 and consider myself quite fortunate to be in good health and to never have had a broken bone or surgery to repair anything.

I know my day is coming where I will start breaking down, but until then I'm going full speed ahead. I have a four day, 15 course trip to the Charlotte area planned for June which will no doubt require a couple of handfuls of Motrin to make it through relatively pain free, but that's a small price to pay for getting to play this great game.

I have long thought and I'm very grateful for is that every day on this side of the grass is a good one. With disc in hand even better!

As a SGM, after 17 major orthopedic procedures, I can't express more the need for proper warm-up, keep your body in the best shape as you can, and TAKE CARE OF YOUR BACK. Once you start having back issues, you can expect a world of hurt for many years.
I don't throw far anymore because of all the stuff I have gone through, but I love this game so very very much.

3 years ago I tore ligaments and tendons in my ankle and shaved off layers of bone. 3 months in a boot and 2 months of rehab and it still clicks and pops But in no way hurts or alters how I walk. Strong rehab can do that.

I am 26 now and have hip flexor and sciatic pain. Stretching is a must or else I feel like I'm throwing on a peg leg.

I'm 56 and consider myself quite fortunate to be in good health and to never have had a broken bone or surgery to repair anything.
Yea I am also lucky to have never broken a bone, although I have had several surgeries.

To add to this thread, I did however roll my ankle falling down the stairs last night in the dark. Owww it hurts. I can barely walk. And it's supposed to be nice out today so I can't even disc golf!

So cherish your health, kiddos! You might trip on the stairs and be incapacitated the next day :|

It's really amazing how physical this game can be. In the past 3 years I've had...torn groin muscle (3 times), torn rotator cuff, partial torn meniscus (knee), walked head first into a tree and gauged a tear right between my eyes, fallen several times, sprained ankles, etc, etc. Almost all injuries could have been avoided if I would have just stretched more/properly before playing. But it's so hard to not get out of the car and just start throwing!!! lol...

Wait, what?! So I gotta ask about that one. If alcohol was involved, I'd understand, but walking head first into a tree isn't necessarily an easy feat.

To update, my fall was much worse than I initially thought. I think I broke my foot. I am writing this from the emergency room. I probably won't be seen until midnight so I might just leave before then. This sucks.

Treasure your health and don't be dumb and hurt yourself!

To update, my fall was much worse than I initially thought. I think I broke my foot. I am writing this from the emergency room. I probably won't be seen until midnight so I might just leave before then. This sucks.

Treasure your health and don't be dumb and hurt yourself!

Sorry to hear and good luck with the recovery, foot injuries can suck so make sure to take care of that. I've had multiple friends out over the last 2 years with everything from a broken shoulder or wrist, torn acl and/or mcl, and a sprained ankle. Only about half of those being DG related. I've been fortunate that since I stopped skiing like a 20 year-old, my injuries have pretty much stopped. Haven't had a concussion in 7 years, and the only thing that sticks me anymore is upper back spasms which a day of muscle-relaxer induced couch-drooling generally fixes right quicky.

I had surgery for a herniated disc and acl tear in 2010 after a car crash. Did not play for months and have not played open since. These days feeling much better and still love to play every weekend.

About 3 weeks ago I hurt my back and after a few days when it did not go away I was sure another surgery was the next step. Went to Dr and took some meds for 5 days and I am 100% again.

I did not play for 3 weeks and thought I would go crazy. Treasure your health, I second.

Just something I have learned from beating my body up over the years of playing/participating in multiple contact and non-contact sports - Yoga is like magic. I had a terrible ski wreck when I was 21, fell about 20-25 ft straight down flat on my back on pretty dang firm snow. First thought, "Oh good, I'm awake" second thought, "Oh good, I can move my toes". I was pretty rattled up and basically ended that ski season for me(not into just cruisin the groomers). My lower back hurt every day for almost a year. For a while, it was pretty painful and eventually just got to be a nagging dull ache, but sucked regardless. Then I started a Yoga class in the evenings for 1 extra credit my last semester of college. After 2 classes the pain was gone. I should be better about keeping up at it today, but yoga really is great.

I've had four knee surgeries in the past 3 years and I'm pretty sure my rotator cuff is torn but I don't have insurance to go get it looked at. I'm 25 years old and trapped in the body of an 80 yr old.

Sorry to hear and good luck with the recovery, foot injuries can suck so make sure to take care of that. I've had multiple friends out over the last 2 years with everything from a broken shoulder or wrist, torn acl and/or mcl, and a sprained ankle. Only about half of those being DG related. I've been fortunate that since I stopped skiing like a 20 year-old, my injuries have pretty much stopped. Haven't had a concussion in 7 years, and the only thing that sticks me anymore is upper back spasms which a day of muscle-relaxer induced couch-drooling generally fixes right quicky.
Thank you! I actually got out of the ER in about 3 hours so it was not the all night wait I thought it would be.

I got X-rayed and the doctor said I have a bad foot sprain and ankle sprain. My foot is all purple and stuff... but I guess it's not technically broken! What really set it off was driving yesterday. I was in excruciating pain coming home and I have a pretty high pain tolerance. Thus I was very worried.

So now I am on crutches and have a splint and some meds. I can't believe I hurt myself in such a dumb manner. I can only hope to disc golf as soon as possible! Although it's eternal rain season over here so at least I can't feel bad about that.

Sorry to hear about all your guys' injuries! They sound much worse than anything I've had. Best of wishes to all of you for speedy recoveries!

Thank you! I actually got out of the ER in about 3 hours so it was not the all night wait I thought it would be.

I got X-rayed and the doctor said I have a bad foot sprain and ankle sprain. My foot is all purple and stuff... but I guess it's not technically broken! What really set it off was driving yesterday. I was in excruciating pain coming home and I have a pretty high pain tolerance. Thus I was very worried.

So now I am on crutches and have a splint and some meds. I can't believe I hurt myself in such a dumb manner. I can only hope to disc golf as soon as possible! Although it's eternal rain season over here so at least I can't feel bad about that.

Sorry to hear about all your guys' injuries! They sound much worse than anything I've had. Best of wishes to all of you for speedy recoveries!

Not trying to will/wish any further problems for you but, you may want to get your foot looked at again after all the swelling has passed or gone down. I know several people that have had foot/ankle injuries that did not show right away on x-rays that were actually broken ( two in the last six months ) :thmbdown:.

Also you have to take it with a grain of salt that the newbie or other half qualified person that read your films actually could do the task at hand...:\.

Not trying to will/wish any further problems for you but, you may want to get your foot looked at again after all the swelling has passed or gone down. I know several people that have had foot/ankle injuries that did not show right away on x-rays that were actually broken ( two in the last six months ) :thmbdown:.

Also you have to take it with a grain of salt that the newbie or other half qualified person that read your films actually could do the task at hand...:\.
Thank you! Dude really I was thinking about this because my foot is all bruised and hurts like hell. I fell REALLY hard and am worried I might have cause some serious damage to my foot.

You must understand I was at the country bumpkin hospital out here in god's land, and I wonder about their competence. Everyone in the ER was complaining about how long they were waiting, which I guess this hospital is notorious for.

Also I think there's a rule that there must be at least 2 people wearing camouflage in the waiting room at all times.

Latest posts