• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Triad Park

I hope somebody decent designed this course.

I'm gonna be interested on how the hole by hole scoring and the ratings go. The open par 3s seemed a bit long. Almost like they'd be yeilding flat scoring for blue level players. Too long for par 3 but too short for par 4. Good for gold level players though.

Anyway it'll be a real nice course. They are pouring a ton of money into it. Top tier Houck tee signs on both the blue and red pads? Wowsers!

what's the D on them?

Don't remember exact feet but the open (and open into woods)par 3s I thought were @400 +/- 25ft for blues. Reds were about 300 which I though were long for red par 3s. I didn't look at my par/grey zone chart yet but I'm guessing they'd be 2.9-3.2 range. If you like thriwing max power most of the round you'll love this course. Maybe the pars were set so your shooting for par as your reward for playing the holes well. You know me I complain about everything anyway. I look at it from a tds standpoint and scoring separation. I feel it'll play better for for int and pro as opposed to rec and adv.
Anyway just my opinion. Ill still play it.

Next time I'm out there I'll take note of distances and pars and post em.

I echo your thoughts.. when I took a few discs out and threw at the pin locations, I noticed I was throwing at near-max power on most of my throws. I've got a pretty decent arm, averaging around 400 on flat land with no obstacles.
I like a lot of the hole designs, but have some concerns about a few. I'm wondering if you'd share your thoughts...
All of this is from the long pads and let's remember... no baskets...so, grain of salt, OK?
1 is a good starter hole. Not too difficult, but hard enough.
2 seems a bit difficult to navigate currently and a bit of throw and pray, but I sometimes feel like that the first few times I play a course.
3 feels like it will force a lot of NAGS (Not a golf shot) 2nd throws... the basket seems too far into the woods to be worth going for off the pad given its distance.
4 I think is a pretty standard average hole. I never found the pin, so I'm not positive. I think there COULD be some clever approach to the pin that could take it from average to excellent
5 I couldn't find the pin, so no comment
6 I suspect is going to be a love it or hate it hole. It definitely smacks of a Russell hole style. It's one of the few options the course provides to utilize elevation change, so... my issue with the hole is this: I have two options from the teepad(that I see currently). 1) Throw a bomb of a forehand that hopefully makes it through the trees and parks for a 2 and if it doesn't, I sneak a shot through a gap in the trees to get under the basket for 3... or 2) I throw a boring approach to the gap and throw a boring approach shot down the hole for a boring 3.
The next batch of holes I sorta stumbled around and couldn't quite tell the hole numbers, so I'll just bring up a few...
Whichever hole (14 maybe?) is near the entrance drive into the parking lot and the basket sits in a 80' tunnel into the woods... seems a bit like an accident waiting to happen. RHBH anhyzer seems to be the preferred throw if you're going for the basket... if that baby hangs up and hyzers, it's going straight at the road. I don't love the hole design as is anyway and hope the gap is widened because currently it would be insane to try for a 2 (and going for 3 on that hole is pretty boring). I took 5 attempts at a 2 and spent half an hour looking for discs (with help and a spotter).
Hole 17 is about as simple of a "how much do I want to go for it" hole. The risk reward is obvious and straightforward. I love risk-reward offerings, so, I like it.

Overall, I'm very optimistic about the course. I think there will need to be some tweaks along the way, but what course is perfect before any baskets are put in? I am not a fan of a few of Russell's design philosophies (If a hole is 320' or less, I should not be forced to pitch and putt twice) and there are a few holes that might be that style (3,5,13,14)... to be assessed when there are actually baskets... The long pads are definitely not beginner friendly and I was very happy to see the short pads being added. Also, the location is probably the best news of it all. Triad Park does an outstanding job of maintaining their grounds and have continued to keep a high level of quality throughout the park.

Okay my last post was a reference to having to take my wife to the figure skating championship in Greensboro the same day as the ice bowl.

I got off work early today and stopped by this course. The surrounding park is absolutely stunning. Baskets are still not in the ground. Ran into a park employee and she informed me that baskets were scheduled to go in by March. They also have tournaments scheduled for the spring and summer. The info should be on the park website. Man I'm excited about this course.

Spoke to the director of park and rec

Mike said (as of two weeks ago) that they're shooting for late March now due to the weather. They're tweaking pins, ensuring concrete is set, drainage is sufficient, etc.

He's supposed to call me back today

I talked with the assistant of park operations today out there. They are looking to have it up by the beginning of April. Theres a few issues they want to address before opening so that everyone has an enjoyable experience. Its just been too wet out there to actually be able to do anything.
Basically what you said.
Its interesting that they are thinking of adjusting pin placements. Someone must have told them that the most of the "red" pads are nowhere near actual "red" level according to pdga guidelines. I swear it wasnt me.
I just feel bad (sort of) that they spent all that money on tee signs that now they'll have to redo if they tweak the course.

It's Open!

And it was a whale of a turn-ot! First arrivals got there about 6am and were rewarded with really nicely logoed Star Rocs. I love my logoed towel and the white mini goes well with my blue and red ones to complete my red, white and blue disc color motif.

I played it yesterday... and it was alright. Certainly an improvement for the region. Especially with all the professional equipment (tees, signs, directional signs, etc).

Tons of players out there on a Monday at 3:00, too.

DSCJNKY

Latest posts