• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

trip to tulsa and wichita areas

Hamilton

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
if i can only play one course in each, what is the must play...

searching around wichita the choices seem to be Herman Hill Park or Oak Park...

tulsa has a TON of courses, top rated seem to be blackhawk and mcclure....

any suggestions appreciated! not sure if i'll get time to play, but i'm making plans so that if i get a little time i know exactly where to go and how to get there...

Anyone? Anyone? Voodoo economics... Did this work? Anyone? Anyone? No it did not, and the country anal deeper into the great depression...

Sorry Hamilton! I haven't made it to Wichita yet! I will get there this summer though :D When are you going? I'll see if I can get there sooner and play the courses. PM me and just let me know.

I've played Herman Hill. It was alright... not a four star course, though. I preferred Carey Park in Hutchinson but the difference probably isn't worth a two hour round trip drive.

I've only been to In Tulsa and I say, Blackhawk for sure, but I was also happy with Hunter and McClure.

I played Herman Hill while travelling to the local Air Force base...liked it. There may be better courses in the area, but I only had time to play one and this was it. If you're in the city of Wichita it's only probably 5-10 minutes away from wherever you are.

yeah i'll be staying by the airport in wichita, so it shouldn't be too far away...in tulsa i'll be like 3 miles from blackhawk and mcclure...

and i just read my second post again...damn ipod text correction...didn't mean to say "anal" meant to say "sank"...

and i just read my second post again...damn ipod text correction...didn't mean to say "anal" meant to say "sank"...

I think you could make the argument that anal makes it funnier. Randomness FTW.

If you're going to Wichita, both Herman Hill and Oak are a must play. They are only six miles apart. Both courses have dual tees with alternating colors (Red is long on odds, Blue is long on evens) HH has moveable placements which change often. Herman is more the more open of the two but there is better shot selection there. Oak is more picturesque and plays a bit tougher, esspecially from the long tees. How can you not resist this as a finishing hole...

Oak Park, Hole 18 long tee.

acdgc.jpg

If you want something a bit more rustic. There is also a nice 18 hole course in Colwich, about 15 minutes NW of Wichita if you don't mind risking thorns, and a 24 hole course in Newton about 20 minutes north. To the southeast in Derby there is another challenging in the making but I believe it only has 11 holes so far. My home course in Hutchinson that Greg mentioned is okay, but we've lost a lot of trees in the last year, and that has taken away some of the challenge. I'd stick to the Wichita area courses first.

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll probably only get to play one of them in Wichita...I think I'll hit up Herman

I travel to Wichita for work, and imo Oak Park is a far better course than Herman Hill. If you only have time to play just one, you are really missing out by skipping Oak.

so yeah

ive played HH in wichita and its pretty fun i think there is a better one there though. and tulsa definently play blackhawk but the question is are you going to play the lodge in pawhuska on your way down here. it is without question the best course in the state. seriously if this will be your only chance to play in oklahoma area, which if you were from not around here why would you come back, you need to play the lodge i mean it has a freakin island hole with the owners who dive the pond and return your stuff if you lose it. you cant get any better than that. just my 2 cents.