• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trophy only event?

Not sure how they're handling it, sanctioning wise. But I don't believe it counts to take the Am fees, give them to the Pros, and call that 100% payout. I'm pretty sure the 100% part applies to each division.

You could do it with low entry fee and big players pack. $25 entry fees, less $3 PDGA fee, $2 local series fee, $2 towards sanctioning & insurance....$18 towards a Star disc (MSRP) or even a CFR for a players pack.....and you've paid 100% back, with only trophies.

I would prefer a trophy only tournament with a lower entry fee. That way I save my money to shop for the exact discs I want at lower than MSRP prices.

I agree with the statements above that the TD/Clubs running the events should make some money for all of the time they put in.

In a way, it's easier to volunteer. If you kept the money it'd be too little pay for the work involved, and you'd be insulted.

Regardless of my thoughts of how sillly the "100% Am payback" seems to me, I'll have to admit that as a TD, I do it to. Give the customer what he wants. Or what I think he wants.

I applaud those who are trying the trophy-only model, and hope it catches on (with the commensurate lower entry fees).

Trophy only

so the first big local tourney of the spring is going to be trophy only. So this means no plastic payouts, just a players pack, and a trophy for the top 3 in each division, 1st only in rec.

I'm pretty new to tournaments, played in 1 last year, and a few ice bowls over the winter, and this is the first without a plastic payout that I have seen, and I have to say, its really discouraging me from going. I'm a rec player, with hopes of moving up to intermediate this year, though Ive never won anything in rec, at least there was the possibility of getting some new disc to try out if i placed, or a back up to my bag.

I guess I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on these events. I can see it promoting people to stop being baggers, but on the other hand, I see it discouraging attendance.

My other thought is where does the money go then? all those registration fees are not going towards the trophies I'm sure. are they going to the open divisions for extra cash payouts? or are the players packs going to be that awesome?

here is the event if anyone cares.

Usually they are very low cost tourneys. Fees cover the player packs, tourney costs, and trophies. Some usually also goes to a non-profit or club to help fund new courses or maintain courses.

I would suggest stepping up to Int at this time. Better players mean quicker learning. Rec now is more of an easy way to adjust to the rules of tourney play. Int scores are not usually to much better than a rec player that has a good tourney. But there are still baggers in Int so it can get pretty competitive.

Im not a fan of trophy only for the same reasons you state, but if the cause for the tourney is right I will play no ifs ands or buts.

The only Trophy Only event I've played was the Steady Ed Masters Cup in Santa Cruz.

Players pack included:

Huk Lab/ Tourney Collared Shirt
Tourney T Shirt
Full Color Tourney Stamp 'Frisbee'
Tourney Stamp Silver Squall
Tourney Mini
and a bunch of other little crap.

The players pack made me feel like Charlie Sheen...Winning!

I'm playing, and frankly the whole plastic-payout for ams situation irks me anyway. A cheap, rated, one-day tourney seems like a great idea.

Whether you do trophy only or payout really well in plastic or somewhere in between, you're going to hear complaining from some players. What you do will depend on your ability to make a decision on how to run your event and stick to it or whomever you take advice from and hope will have your back with the complaints come rolling in.

Different divisions should almost always play different Tees. It is strictly based upon ratings. If you're a novice, recreational, or intermediate player you should be able to shoot closer to par from shorter Tees. The goal is to have players play from where their skill level determines they should be. If you're playing short tees and tearing it up.. move up. Then you will get to play longer tees if that's what you desire. Check out the link below if you want some details. The Jenkins's are good people. It looks like you are getting a shirt, lunch, dinner, and chances at CTPs, free turn at putting contest, and the experience of playing in a tournament. For the price of $20 or $25 for MA2 and MA3, it sounds like a bargain to me. Keep in mind it cost money to feed people, CTPs, scorecards, rent pavilions, insurance, etc. Just because you don't know of something costing money, it does not mean it does not exist.
http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGASkillGuides2009.pdf

The event is run by Team Jenkins which collectively holds 7 World Championship Titles. They are practically disc golf royalty.

They know all about putting value into an event. They donate their valuable time and money to put on events for players. They volunteer hundreds of hours working the course, running the events.

If you go and don't have a great experience, or feel that you did not get proper value, please let them know. They will listen and will do their best to make the next event even better. However, if you go and enjoy the event, I hope you will take the time to thank your hosts for all their hard work and dedication. Let them know you had fun and that you will return to play again.

Regardless of the outcome, please come back and report on the event. I imagine you will be glad you played. Above all, please remember the number one rule in disc golf...Have fun!

Link to YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t50kqJfzWA

If this was a local event, I would play it. I buy the plastic I want, and the club here rarely has good stuff, so I get it online. Lower entry fees + trophies for ams = good time IMO.

thanks for the assurance, but I don't really think anyone is questioning the Jenkins' credibility. My thoughts/concerns about the fees with no payout was that they funds would all be going to pay out the open division. But if they are going towards fees and costs, food, players pack, and the club/course, I'm all for it. I play the course about once a week, so even the whole $25 is a drop in the bucket compared to how much it would cost me to play a ball golf course once a week.

Just a side note, most of the tourneys around here I have played in have had pretty awesome plastic selection when it comes to payouts. If the club gets a good rep for good payouts, they get great turnouts for their future tourneys,

i played roscoe two days ago. the jenkins parents were trimming bushes on hole 3. they also had other people out doing maintenance. the course should be in great shape for this event. mr. jenkins actually told me that i had a nice drive on 3!

Last edited:
so the first big local tourney of the spring is going to be trophy only. So this means no plastic payouts, just a players pack, and a trophy for the top 3 in each division, 1st only in rec.

I'm pretty new to tournaments, played in 1 last year, and a few ice bowls over the winter, and this is the first without a plastic payout that I have seen, and I have to say, its really discouraging me from going. I'm a rec player, with hopes of moving up to intermediate this year, though Ive never won anything in rec, at least there was the possibility of getting some new disc to try out if i placed, or a back up to my bag.

I guess I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on these events. I can see it promoting people to stop being baggers, but on the other hand, I see it discouraging attendance.

My other thought is where does the money go then? all those registration fees are not going towards the trophies I'm sure. are they going to the open divisions for extra cash payouts? or are the players packs going to be that awesome?

here is the event if anyone cares.

can't believe i missed this thread

i couldn't scrape up the funds to play this tournament so i missed out.

snowren, you and i are at the same level (started nearly the same time, and am also a rec player), and i had never heard of a trophy only event until this tournament was posted on dgscene. had to read the flyer about 4 times to get my head around it.

after much consideration, the end result was that i do not like the idea of a trophy.

i understand the funding behind it, i've read this entire thread, and i realize it's usefulness. but from a player standpoint, my personal opinion is that i'd MUCH rather have a cheapo disc or a gift certificate than a trophy.

lots of reasons for this. i love trying new discs for one. i like giving discs away whenever i can for another. I like trading discs so that i can then try out more discs and feed the addiction. gift certificates are always handy (i'm always looking for the dext disc golf item to buy even though i have no $$).

really not sure what i'd do with a trophy. probably donate it to a trophy shop to be recycled for kids events.

it still surprises me that the majority would rather get a trophy than a disc or gift certificate. but then again, i'm still newer to the sport. maybe i'll change my tune after i have 100+ discs at home i don't use ;)

how did you guys place in the tournament? and what did the players pack end up being?

can't believe i missed this thread

i couldn't scrape up the funds to play this tournament so i missed out.

snowren, you and i are at the same level (started nearly the same time, and am also a rec player), and i had never heard of a trophy only event until this tournament was posted on dgscene. had to read the flyer about 4 times to get my head around it.

after much consideration, the end result was that i do not like the idea of a trophy.

i understand the funding behind it, i've read this entire thread, and i realize it's usefulness. but from a player standpoint, my personal opinion is that i'd MUCH rather have a cheapo disc or a gift certificate than a trophy.

lots of reasons for this. i love trying new discs for one. i like giving discs away whenever i can for another. I like trading discs so that i can then try out more discs and feed the addiction. gift certificates are always handy (i'm always looking for the dext disc golf item to buy even though i have no $$).

really not sure what i'd do with a trophy. probably donate it to a trophy shop to be recycled for kids events.

it still surprises me that the majority would rather get a trophy than a disc or gift certificate. but then again, i'm still newer to the sport. maybe i'll change my tune after i have 100+ discs at home i don't use ;)

how did you guys place in the tournament? and what did the players pack end up being?

I really have no complaints about this event. I played intermediate and placed in the bottom half but not DFL. It seemed like since Rec was limited to 5 people initially, a few people were playing up. If I had a complaint, it woudl be that the Rec division was capped at 5, and then reopened later.

the entry fee was $25 and the players pack included a
CFR Innova disc (your choice of a tourney stamped Katana, glow leopard, glo aviar driver, I think the 4th was a glo firefird).
You also got a tourney printed t shirt,
and a chicken and pasta dinner was provided. (sponsored by Ruby Tuesday)

the trophies were pretty cool, etched crystal with a lighted base and there were plenty of CTP prizes for all divisions.

Bottom line, this trophy only even was done extremely well. No matter where you placed, you left feeling like you got your money's worth, at least in the rec and int divisions. and the trophies were cool enough that I actually was disappointed i didn't have a shot at one and I would have at least competed for 3rd in rec.

now if i showed up to a trophy only event, and the players pack sucked, and other things weren't provided, I would not leave as happy as I did from the Roscoe tournament. But the Jenkins do run a hell of an event, and Roscoe is always in top shape, so I was expecting this one to be a good time.

sounds like a fantastic time! sucks that i missed out on it.

i've never played shorts to long. i've played shorts to short here and got 127 but getting to those longs really adds some strokes. if i had come maybe i coulda competed for 5th place with a 135 or so. dunno

even though i've never played in a trophy tournament i don't think i'd mind it at all in a tournament as good as what you described.

I wouldn't mind playing in a trophy only tournament as long as the players pack was pretty legit, and the trophies better be some what decent

Latest posts