• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trusted Reviewer Minis

I have more thumbs down, but they are mostly from NY courses from when I first started reviewing.
I am still waiting on my silver, I'll probably be waiting for a long time now that I can't get to new courses as much.
Congrats adam

I cannot imagine only having single digit thumbs down . . . that is incredible. I have 447:29 which is still good but I dont know why some of the thumbs down ocurred?!

I cannot imagine only having single digit thumbs down . . . that is incredible. I have 447:29 which is still good but I dont know why some of the thumbs down ocurred?!

It seems like the thumbs downs have increased a lot lately, I went from 275:4 to 375:10 without ever changing my reviewing style.

It seems like the thumbs downs have increased a lot lately, I went from 275:4 to 375:10 without ever changing my reviewing style.
Did you give a non-5-star review to a course that some people are way too emotionally invested in?

I believe if you aren't getting any negatives, then you are probably "sugar-coating" your reviews. You're going to pick up some negatives just by writing truthful, honest reviews. Face the facts, there are a quite a few courses out there with flaws. Anytime you point out those flaws, you're going to upset the locals or the designer(s) or someone. And when I'm planning a trip, I want to know as much about a course as possible, including it's flaws and blemishes.

Of course, we have all received some of those negative votes and wondered, how could someone possibly give me a neg on that review? Like when you enjoyed the course and thought you wrote a very positive review.

I believe if you aren't getting any negatives, then you are probably "sugar-coating" your reviews. You're going to pick up some negatives just by writing truthful, honest reviews. Face the facts, there are a quite a few courses out there with flaws. Anytime you point out those flaws, you're going to upset the locals or the designer(s) or someone. And when I'm planning a trip, I want to know as much about a course as possible, including it's flaws and blemishes.

Of course, we have all received some of those negative votes and wondered, how could someone possibly give me a neg on that review? Like when you enjoyed the course and thought you wrote a very positive review.

very true. i know a few of my negatives came purely from HBB as well.

not much you can do i guess...

I finally got my 200th thumbs up today! I'm still a long way from gold, but it's a milestone. Seems like the votes have been really slowing down recently. I've reviewed 15 courses over the last 4 months and only got 27 thumbs up from them. I guess I need to keep plugging away and review more courses.

There are more and more reviews going up, so new reviews don't spend as much time on the front page. It also seems that a lot of newer people to the site don't really vote on reviews. The thumbs will come, just keep playing and reviewing.

I'm at 213 thumbies now but still need to write reviews for Grand Woods, Hickory Hills, and Boyne Mountain to have my 30 reviews and be qualified for Gold. I've been slacking lately :eek:.

Last edited:
Seems like the votes have been really slowing down recently. I've reviewed 15 courses over the last 4 months and only got 27 thumbs up from them. I guess I need to keep plugging away and review more courses.
I've written five reviews this year and gotten a whole 18 votes on them combined. I'm not even averaging 4 votes a review for the year. I really don't have any statistics to compare that to, but it seems to me the voting has been a lot slower this year. Usually in the past there would be one or two reviews that got no traffic, but this year it seems like it is all of them. Of course five reviews is not a huge sample, so I've been figuring I'm just a statistical anomaly.

In the end it's no big deal. I have gotten plenty of positive reinforcement in the past and I really have not changed my reviewing style, so I'm just going to keep doing what I do. I got some thumbs down on a review that I knew would get some thumbs down when I wrote it, but the truth hurts and the course is a joke. Up until I wrote it I'd never had more than one thumbs down on a review, so I had to decide if that was all that important to me before I posted it because I knew that was going down the drain. I had a ratio of something like 212:8 at that point. I just looked and it's 217:13 right now, so the new reviews are not doing so hot. Oh, well. I'll stand by what I said.

Truthfully, it bothers me that I have a review with more thumbs down than thumbs up. I try not to let it, but it does. I've read it a few times trying to figure out if I did something wrong, but I think the review covers what I thought of the course. If that is the punishment for saying what I thought, so be it.

I've written five reviews this year and gotten a whole 18 votes on them combined. I'm not even averaging 4 votes a review for the year. I really don't have any statistics to compare that to, but it seems to me the voting has been a lot slower this year. Usually in the past there would be one or two reviews that got no traffic, but this year it seems like it is all of them. Of course five reviews is not a huge sample, so I've been figuring I'm just a statistical anomaly.

In the end it's no big deal. I have gotten plenty of positive reinforcement in the past and I really have not changed my reviewing style, so I'm just going to keep doing what I do. I got some thumbs down on a review that I knew would get some thumbs down when I wrote it, but the truth hurts and the course is a joke. Up until I wrote it I'd never had more than one thumbs down on a review, so I had to decide if that was all that important to me before I posted it because I knew that was going down the drain. I had a ratio of something like 212:8 at that point. I just looked and it's 217:13 right now, so the new reviews are not doing so hot. Oh, well. I'll stand by what I said.

Truthfully, it bothers me that I have a review with more thumbs down than thumbs up. I try not to let it, but it does. I've read it a few times trying to figure out if I did something wrong, but I think the review covers what I thought of the course. If that is the punishment for saying what I thought, so be it.

since may i have 34 up and 2 down on 8 courses. not very good considering i reviewed 10 courses from november to march and have 111 up and 11 down. recently i reviewed a course that is up and coming and dealt with the same HBB that seem to have struck you. i have a great review that i wrote but only gave the course a 3 because not all the holes have baskets, no tee signs, etc and i have 2 down and no up. i know that speaking the truth comes at a cost, but it still sucks.

I think back when the site was less populated and you could go a whole day with the front page dashboard of reviews not rolling over people just didn't have as many reviews to read. But now it seems like that dashboard rolls over at least two or three times a day.

I think back when the site was less populated and you could go a whole day with the front page dashboard of reviews not rolling over people just didn't have as many reviews to read. But now it seems like that dashboard rolls over at least two or three times a day.

maybe we could make a longer dashboard with the older and newer tabs.

Good point, I think that's a big part of it. It also seems like newer reviewers aren't voting on the reviews they read. I try to go give thumbs on any courses I've played or that sound interesting when they show up on the front page, and I vote on the other reviews whenever I go look at courses to play or review a course I just played, and I think a lot of people don't do that.

There were 91 votes today as of 10 seconds ago and around 150 or so yesterday so there are definitely votes being cast.

Just got the mail and got my Gold mini. Thank you TIM, your the man!!!