• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Turbo Putters - What do you think of them?

jabruzzo3

Eagle Member
This is not a thread about how to Turbo Putt or the advantages or dis-advantages of Turbo Putting.

I want to know what you think about the people who Turbo Putt?

At last years Mid-Atlantic Meet, I played in the Friday Night Doubles at Blockhouse. (Great time - definitely recommend it) I was partnered with a local who was the best turbo putter I have seen. He was consistantly making putts as far out as 30 -35 feet. In the dark no less.

So I decided this winter I would only turbo putt and it really has changed my game.

The issue is when I play a round with others I get that "look". You know the one, "Oh . . . I did not know we had a trick shooter with us!" After making a couple of long putts, it changes to "How do you do that."

So what is the issue with turbo putting?

I don't really look at Turbo Putters any differently. It's just another style of putting. It's definitely cool to see though. I've had moderate success when I try turbo putting, but I've only actually gone to it on the course once when stuck behind a bush with a nice clear high line...I made the putt

When watching someone drain 3's from shooting from their stomach.. you can think in your head, wow their form is really bad, and it will be blocked easy... but then you play against them and their shot comes out so quick and goes in so often, you realize form isn't always function.

The people I've seen turbo putt appear to have been show boating.

Maybe I'm too judgmental. ;)

Definitely a get out of trouble shot for me. I don't rely on it by any means, and the one time I did try to "showboat" with a turbo putt, I ended up searching for my wedding ring for 4 hours in the middle of a Texas summer because it slipped off during the putting motion.

Lesson learned: don't wear your ring while playing. :p

I love playing against people that are primarily turbo putters, especially when it is windy. They make it so easy to beat them.

I love watching people do it that are well practiced in the technique, they never seem to miss inside 30'. Pretty impressive. However, it also seems to be a detriment beyond the circle because turbo putts just don't have the length needed to sink from distance, and their backhand putting stroke isn't practiced enough to hit from distance with any consistent accuracy.

I practice the stroke so I have it when needed, but I really only use it when have no other options. It seems to hit with so much force for me that it often hits pole and spits out. I Just lack touch with it....

All of that said, I enjoy watching people do it that have the stroke down. It pretty violently bangs chains....

Definitely a get out of trouble shot for me. I don't rely on it by any means, and the one time I did try to "showboat" with a turbo putt, I ended up searching for my wedding ring for 4 hours in the middle of a Texas summer because it slipped off during the putting motion.

Lesson learned: don't wear your ring while playing. :p

Freaking lefty! Burn 'em at the stake, boys!

It depends, but generally, those that turbo putt aren't very good overall. They might have consistent drives, the occasional decent upshot, but once that turbo putt comes out, it's pretty obvious why leagues always invite them out.

What appears to be 'showboating' is in reality a sad attempt to hide the absence of necessary skill to hole-out consistently. Worst yet, they present a facade of enjoyment, while in reality they are negotiating raging emotions and deep seeded resentment within. The rhetorical question, I suppose, is why they continue to play in a game that they will never achieve any meaningful status other than 'easy money'.

That's how I think of myself.

Here in KC i was warming up for a tournament and saw a guy just BANGING 40 foot turbo putts. I go up and talk to him and he's throwing old school DX Bulldogs and just proceeds to bang 90% of his putts from all locations. Its a really cool looking way to putt, but wake_rider said, anything farther out than that a turbo usually doesn't have enough to get to the basket.

Many moons ago, I got extremely frustrated with my piss poor backhand putting. I decided that making a switch to turbo putting would at least take my mind off of that and allow me to work on something new. I found that Pro Pigs work very well for turbo putts.

Eventually, I got back to the typical backhand putt because it is not easy to make them outside of 40'. Add a strong wind, which is not uncommon around here and the turbo putt became more of a "get out of trouble" shot in my game.

I still practice it before a round to make sure I can still do it as needed when I get stuck with a bad lie. Once in a while, I will switch to turbo putts if I am having a bad round just to mix it up.

I love watching people do it that are well practiced in the technique, they never seem to miss inside 30'. Pretty impressive. However, it also seems to be a detriment beyond the circle because turbo putts just don't have the length needed to sink from distance, and their backhand putting stroke isn't practiced enough to hit from distance with any consistent accuracy.

I practice the stroke so I have it when needed, but I really only use it when have no other options. It seems to hit with so much force for me that it often hits pole and spits out. I Just lack touch with it....

All of that said, I enjoy watching people do it that have the stroke down. It pretty violently bangs chains....

Not true. I used to practice them a lot and I could make 7/10 from 50'.

The guy I learned to turbo from is a darts player, so it is a more natural motion for him. I also use it for trouble putts, it has saved me a few strokes in tourneys.

It's good to have and inside 30' with no wind I use it because it's more consistent than my push putt, but out side I push putt. I was having problems short arming my inside putts and found the turbo putting, since the trajectory is downward worked out very well, also if I miss it tends to stop closer than if I am pushing hard and blow by. It's nice to have both in my arsenal. If it's windy I push.

I played a tournament where there was a guy doing the turbo-putts in the ring of fire. He won a lot.

Some of the best putting that I have ever seen, was done by an old pro using the upside down turbo putt method, with an old school Birdie. Amazing.

It depends, but generally, those that turbo putt aren't very good overall. They might have consistent drives, the occasional decent upshot, but once that turbo putt comes out, it's pretty obvious why leagues always invite them out.

What appears to be 'showboating' is in reality a sad attempt to hide the absence of necessary skill to hole-out consistently. Worst yet, they present a facade of enjoyment, while in reality they are negotiating raging emotions and deep seeded resentment within. The rhetorical question, I suppose, is why they continue to play in a game that they will never achieve any meaningful status other than 'easy money'.

That's how I think of myself.

This seems to make the most sense.

Latest posts