• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Turnover vs. Forehand?

zbyrd

Bogey Member
I throw RHBH and RHFH with similar skill. Thus, I have just used a forehand and never really bothered working on a turnover, which seems to be the more popular shot. Are there any differences between the two that I may be overlooking? As far as I can tell, both will start straight and finish right. The only difference I can see is the ability to get a little fade at the end of a turnover and the turnover's ability to resist skip(as opposed to the skip-happy forehand). So, I guess what I'm asking is if there is any reason for me to spend time catching up on a turnover if my forehand is pretty darn good?

I think my turnover shots have a steady right turn to them where as my FH shots bite a little harder as it slows down. I think it depends on the hole and what line the hole requires.

by turnover do you mean a bh "s" shot?

the turnover may not be your answer to more distance - but learning a serviceable bh will help your game.

This is actually a good question. Ive found that if you CAN throw sidearm; its more consistent than a turnover because there are more variables involved in a turnover shot as opposed to a sidearm shot. And I agree with Adaven's comments as well.

Considering I can't forehand to save my life, I'd go with the turn-over. But 9 out of 10 times I'd throw anhyzer rather than a turn-over just because it's more consistent and most of my discs don't turn-over all that well to begin with. Basically, out of the 6 or so courses I regularly play there's only 1 hole on 1 course that I use a turn-over for.

I've been struggling with this as well. I started driving backhand, then switched to primarily forehand, but now have gone backhand dominant again. I was getting some serious elbow pain from my forehand, and I tried to tweak my form and almost lost my forehand completely.

My LHBH turnover shot is getting much, much better, but it's still easier to throw the LHFH. I need to iron out my form issues at the field, and if I can do that, I might almost completely eliminate the LHBH turnover.

This is actually a good question. Ive found that if you CAN throw sidearm; its more consistent than a turnover because there are more variables involved in a turnover shot as opposed to a sidearm shot. .

i agree - but usually the discs for turnover shots are more understable whilst typical FH discs are more overstable and are usually less forgiving and have predictable fade at the end.

I throw both RHBH and RHFH, and I have found that both a turnover and fh have specific selection. Say if I have a nice casual dog leg that slowly bends the whole time, I am going to throw a BH turnover cause it will hold that line the whole flight, if it is a straight shot that has a hard fade at the end, I will throw a fh, cause it tends to make a nice straight flight and then fade off hard at the end. IMO it is your best favor to learn both shots and use them in the time needed. This will make you a good all around player.

I throw a lot more turnover shots than I do forehand, though the two definitely have different uses and I'm glad that I can throw either. If I need a hard turn or a skip, I'll throw sidearm, whereas a long curving fairway calls for a turnover that will sit and stay where it hits.

You can turn a disc over but give it enough air to flex back thus increasing the distance and staying fairly straight(depends on disc/wind/throw/hyzer angle)

The biggest thing is getting the disc to flex back on turnover shots. It's really difficult to throw a slight hzyer that flattens at the end, but it's not that difficult to throw a gentle turover that flattens out or fades back.

Forehand, Mainly because I'm forehand dominant :p

Forehand curves harder if you want it, and can have a nice skip at the end. Anhyzers can dig in and roll away from your target.not curve enough, etc etc.

Never really took the time that much to figure turnover. If its hard to the right I will just throw RHFH.

I throw both RHBH and RHFH, and I have found that both a turnover and fh have specific selection. Say if I have a nice casual dog leg that slowly bends the whole time, I am going to throw a BH turnover cause it will hold that line the whole flight, if it is a straight shot that has a hard fade at the end, I will throw a fh, cause it tends to make a nice straight flight and then fade off hard at the end. IMO it is your best favor to learn both shots and use them in the time needed. This will make you a good all around player.

Perfect explanation that contrasts the two shots. The opposite scenario holds true for those who are RHFH dominant. Long holes that have a sharp dogleg left finish present quite a challenge. I'm restricted to solely relying on RHFH shots and I can tell you how much better it would be to simply throw a BH hyzer rather than finesse a less stable disc that wants to start turning shortly after it leaves the hand.