• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tylenol before playing?

Danforth

Eagle Member
For all of us who are over 30 and can tell that we're not 18 anymore, do you think it's a good idea to pump up on tylenol or something like it before playing a few rounds, or before filed practice?

One time I took 3,000mg 2 hours before field practice, and had some of my best TeeChicken throws of my life. All over 400' and very consistent.

Was this the tylenol or just a lucky day?

Danforth said:
For all of us who are over 30 and can tell that we're not 18 anymore, do you think it's a good idea to pump up on tylenol or something like it before playing a few rounds, or before filed practice?

One time I took 3,000mg 2 hours before field practice, and had some of my best TeeChicken throws of my life. All over 400' and very consistent.

3000 milligrams!! You might have been hallucinating and tossing minis in your bathtub.

If you take medications unnecessarily you are building up a tolerance to them unnecessarily. I am sore every day because I am old and I play a lot and work out a lot. I avoid pain pills (analgesic/anti-inflammatory) and only take them for injury or dehydration. I purposely take in water and caffeine and stretch a lot.

After the rounds I find fermented grain beverages have spiritual benefits.

Mark Ellis said:
Danforth said:

3000 milligrams!! You might have been hallucinating and tossing minis in your bathtub.

If you take medications unnecessarily you are building up a tolerance to them unnecessarily. I am sore every day because I am old and I play a lot and work out a lot. I avoid pain pills (analgesic/anti-inflammatory) and only take them for injury or dehydration. I purposely take in water and caffeine and stretch a lot.

After the rounds I find fermented grain beverages have spiritual benefits.

ROFL :lol:
I agree, I personally believe in only taking meds when absolutely needed.

i've heard that pre-medicating with ibuprofen (aka "vitamin i" in the age-protected divisions) can help prevent some kinds of pains and soreness... i was on an anti-inflammatory for a while for my elbow, similar concept. but tylenol is just a painkiller so less beneficial as far as that goes.

I usually pop a couple of advil before a round. Usually helps fight off that soreness. Also, during tournies, I will pop two before the first round and then two between rounds. Even when I was a young pup I used to do this.

I have recently not only taking 2 advil before rounds, but also carrying some in my bag just in case I need it.

I don't like getting old.

I've taken a pair of Aleve before a tourny round when my back was a little sore going into it before and it really calmed me and my back down. I will usually take some if I am feeling sore before a round but I don't take any preemptively due to Mark's point. I also burn hella nuggets so that may be why I don't reach for the pills that often.

Couldn't you hurt yourself more by masking a pain and seriously tearing or tweaking something.

nohr said:
Couldn't you hurt yourself more by masking a pain and seriously tearing or tweaking something.

this is what I'm thinking, but my slippery lumbars also sing a different tune.

oh and you guys need to stay away from Tylenol/Acetaminophen that shit is proven to destroy livers. you should especially avoid it if you like to drink adult refreshments. It accelerates liver damage with alcohol. Good old aspirin does the trick. but I usually take 1000mg at a time.

keltik said:
nohr said:

this is what I'm thinking, but my slippery lumbars also sing a different tune.

oh and you guys need to stay away from Tylenol/Acetaminophen that shit is proven to destroy livers. you should especially avoid it if you like to drink adult refreshments. It accelerates liver damage with alcohol. Good old aspirin does the trick. but I usually take 1000mg at a time.

My liver is bad and needs to be punished.

nohr said:

That's one of my worries, but pumping up on pain killers/anti-inflamitories seems to do some magic for me. 8)

what Sarah DeMar says on her Team DC page, good advice:

Dealing with a Sore Muscle or Suspected Tendonitis
Disc golfers experience a lot of repetitive movement strains and injuries, whether its the torso rotation of the drive, the arm lift of the putt or even your routine before the shot (think of Bennett doing The Lawnmower!) When a muscle is overworked or pushed beyond it's comfortable range of motion, tiny tears in the muscle tissue can occur and lead to trigger points and the build-up of scar tissue, which is the same as stabilizing tissue. Scar tissue attempts to restrain movement so that no further damage occurs, but unfortunately the brain only knows that it feels pain during some movements. If you feel pain, you need to address it, ask it what it needs to help the muscle, and do it. If your throwing arm's rotator cuff is sore or sends stabs of pain down your arm, nob it with a Backnobber II or get a massage. If your shoulder joint hurts when you putt, use your fingertips to explore your pecs for sore spots and rub them out. The bottom line is PLEASE do not take an aspirin before every round and do nothing for sore muscles. Self-massage, ice, stretch and warm up properly. Take care of your muscular system and your golf game will take care of itself.

bolded for importance

This past fall I quit using pain medications (ibuprofen and tylenol, 3 each before I play any round) and got back to stretching and lifting. It has helped a lot, but I do still use a the pain relievers when I am playing a tournament where I will be throwing more than my normal amount. As mentioned above, and exactly what college baseball taught me, taking care of your body is the best medicine.

Jordan

PS: Rubber tubing exercises are probably the best, easiest, and fastest way to strengthen your throwing shoulder.

victorb said:

Disc golfers experience a lot of repetitive movement strains and injuries, whether its the torso rotation of the drive, the arm lift of the putt or even your routine before the shot (think of Bennett doing The Lawnmower!) When a muscle is overworked or pushed beyond it's comfortable range of motion, tiny tears in the muscle tissue can occur and lead to trigger points and the build-up of scar tissue, which is the same as stabilizing tissue. Scar tissue attempts to restrain movement so that no further damage occurs, but unfortunately the brain only knows that it feels pain during some movements. If you feel pain, you need to address it, ask it what it needs to help the muscle, and do it. If your throwing arm's rotator cuff is sore or sends stabs of pain down your arm, nob it with a Backnobber II or get a massage. If your shoulder joint hurts when you putt, use your fingertips to explore your pecs for sore spots and rub them out. The bottom line is PLEASE do not take an aspirin before every round and do nothing for sore muscles. Self-massage, ice, stretch and warm up properly. Take care of your muscular system and your golf game will take care of itself.

bolded for importance

My doc said that you wouldn't massage an open wound would you? So why would you stretch and massage already broken tissue that busted from overstretching in the first place? The advice up there may be beneficial later or not I don't know but let the tissue heal first before trying this.

JR said:
victorb said:

bolded for importance

My doc said that you wouldn't massage an open wound would you? So why would you stretch and massage already broken tissue that busted from overstretching in the first place? The advice up there may be beneficial later or not I don't know but let the tissue heal first before trying this.

Muscle tissue reacts in a positive manner to massage - it increases blood flow to the affected area. Stretching helps muscles that are tight, but you're right - don't stretch a muscle that you think is already torn or damaged.

Basically I think she was trying to say that massage, ice therapy, if you are injured (which is what most sports medicine places will tell you to do for a muscle injury) and stretching and warming up properly to prevent becoming injured in the first place.

Massage, ice and stretching are great for healthy tissues. Just don't stretch or massage after ice because it contracts muscles and makes everything brittle. You mighthurt yourself dong things old. Ask me how warm and short the Finnish winter is :twisted:

JR said:
victorb said:

bolded for importance

Is you doc just a general practitioner or does he have speciality regarding this area. Now Im not saying you should overstretch, but there are numerous studies that show, that it is beneficial to get work done on scar-tissue coupled with stretching.

The best is obviously seeing an expert, but I usually foam roll sore muscles, and it definitly helps in loosening them up, followed by specific stretches.

foamrolling article http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_...g_performance_repair/feel_better_for_10_bucks

I've had several docs :roll: Don't recall his specialty. But the difference is you wrote scar tissue. I wrote of when the tissue is torn. Different situation.

for the record, Ibuprofen and Motrin are the same. they also would probably work the best for preemptive soreness relief. it also is a good idea to take them BEFORE the pain starts, as that is how all pain relievers work best. unless you have some serious pain issues, 2 pills should be enough.

another option would be to take naproxen sodium, more commonly known as Aleve. it's not as great of a pain reliever as ibuprofen, but it does work a little better as an anti-inflammatory, so it might help with stiffness more.

advil or motrin would probably be your best bet as they are both ibuprofen. ibuprofen is an anti-inflamatory. you only want to take 800mg at a time so you don't risk damage to your liver. only take up to 2400mg a day (so 800mg 3 times a day), and space them out as directed on the bottle. i wouldn't keep this up for TOO long, or only use it when you need it. as previously stated, you don't want to build up a tolerance to it.
i used to be a trainer for our wrestling team in college. i also had an inflamed nerve bundle under my shoulder blade at that time, and our head trainer gave me all of that info. it's amazing what taking the right type of medication will do. i was taking high powered pain killers, and they wouldn't touch it. after i took the advil, there was no pain at all.