• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tylenol before playing?

i used to do the same thing, but have cut back. I see a physical therapist/masseuse regularly and use biofreeze before/between rounds as necessary.

my biggest problem has been keeping energy and focus up recently and not the body holding together (which is a big improvement over a few years ago).

It's not a good idea. If your body is sore in a "good way" from disc golf, then you've got bigger problems. Stretching and proper warms along with light lifting can fix that. If your soreness is occurring in the form of tendinitis, joint pain, or muscle strain then rest and ice is your best bet. Meds will only mask the pain. When that happens you cannot be aware of what you are doing to your body. Anti-inflammatory's can be helpful in reducing inflammation and swelling, but should never be taken before a round.

Well, I went out and practices on tylenol again (without really setting out to do it). I took 2000mg of tylenol this morning for a sore knee, and went out and did some putting practice.

Dude! I was deadly out there! I sank more putts from longer ranges than I can ever remember doing. There's something about my bio-chemistry that tylenol has a positive effect on. I seem to loosen up and have better coordination. I also did some effortless forehand drives with Champ Starfires out to 350+. I was throwing them with less OAT than I ever had before.

I got to find out why this is and see if I can play this good without ruining my liver!

Danforth said:
Well, I went out and practices on tylenol again (without really setting out to do it). I took 2000mg of tylenol this morning for a sore knee, and went out and did some putting practice.

I got to find out why this is and see if I can play this good without ruining my liver!

indeed! keep that up and you won't have a liver to speak of. switch to Ibuprofen, no more than 4 at a time.

I take two Advil before and after every tournament and it works wonders. I really don't take medication for any other reason so I am not to worried about building up a tolerance or anything like that. It seems to loosen me up more than just stretching and throwing some practice holes by themselves.

EpicLeopard1337 said:
Danforth said:

indeed! keep that up and you won't have a liver to speak of. switch to Ibuprofen, no more than 4 at a time.

IB is just as bad for the liver and kidney. Alieve is the worst offender.

There are lotions and creams that are not harmful and can achieve the same effect for temporary pain relief of sore joints and muscles.
http://www.biofreeze.com/products.php being one of them.

ibuprofen is really not that bad for the liver. you can drink on it too without much worry of damaging your liver.

kidneys I don't know about.

EpicLeopard1337 said:
ibuprofen is really not that bad for the liver. you can drink on it too without much worry of damaging your liver.

kidneys I don't know about.
Nay Nay... It damages it just as bad when over used. What this thread is about, is definitely considered overuse.

The liver is the main organ that eliminates ibuprofen from the body. The process may work slowly in some people, or liver function may be altered by high doses of IB.
If the liver is unable to eliminate the drugs properly, the liver may become damaged or inflamed. Liver inflammation resulting from medication is called drug-induced hepatitis. It can also cause gastrointestinal issues like extreme constipation along with stomach bleeding.

Acetaminophen is a lot more dangerous as overdose can cause liver failure and/or kill you in a matter of days. Where IB takes slightly longer but is still considered dangerous.

Drinking Alcohol with IB and Tylenol is a death sentence for your liver. Your statement is 100% false on drinking with IB. Drinking with Tylenol could kill you by the end of the night depending on the qty taken on both drinking and Tylenol.

This information can be verified by the FDA, NIH and CDC.

Taking as much IB/Tylenol as discussed in this thread, to be blunt, is stupid, careless and unsafe no matter how you look at it.

There is a reason that athletes get addicted to pain-killers and the recovery power of steroids, you can certainly play better when you're pain free and loosened up. But, find another way to elevate your game. Exercise, get into a pre-round warm up routine (I'm bad at this), and learn to thrive in pressure situations if you want to up your game. Don't numb your body just to play better.

I stand by my statements on ibuprofen. if it actually were that bad for your liver, I highly doubt my sister who is a pharmacist specialized in emergency medicine would have told me to take 3 for my headache before we went out drinking for the night.

believe who you want, but the effects of iburofen on your liver are minimal

EpicLeopard1337 said:
I stand by my statements on ibuprofen. if it actually were that bad for your liver, I highly doubt my sister who is a pharmacist specialized in emergency medicine would have told me to take 3 for my headache before we went out drinking for the night.

believe who you want, but the effects of iburofen on your liver are minimal

And I stand by my statements. My sister in-law has a PhD from Northwestern in Chiropractics and Medicine, Her Husband has a Masters in Eastern Medicine and Acupuncture. Both were required to take extensive courses involving drugs and the effects on the body. Both of them have told me what I posted earlier, and I have many links that I can share from the FDA, NIH and even the manufactures website (Merck) that states the dangers of overuse and it's effects on the liver and kidney. They all mention combining the topic drugs with alcohol is extremely dangerous. Go do a search on the side effects of NSAID's which is what Tylenol and IB are considered to be. All information will tell you how it is safe in low doses, not to have prolonged use and never take with alcohol. Here is something else to consider about IB, overuse of Ibuprofen can increase the blood levels of lithium by reducing the excretion of lithium by the kidneys. Increased levels of lithium may lead to lithium toxicity and can cause kidney failure.
Honestly I'm shocked that someone in the medical industry dealing with drugs would say that was okay, but I've seen crazier things.
Good luck, hope no ill effects bestow your organs.

sure thing! if whatever the chiropractic and acupuncturist tells you helps you sleep at night, then more power to you :)

EpicLeopard1337 said:
sure thing! if whatever the chiropractic and acupuncturist tells you helps you sleep at night, then more power to you :)

It's the PhD in Medicine that helps me sleep at night ;)

EpicLeopard1337 said:

In switzerland, it even says so on the package. Do NOT use in connection with alcohol or for alcohol related head pains. It specialy mentiones hangovers.

Personaly, I think that when you feel pain, it is a sign from your body that somethign needs to be taken care of. Hiding the problem will not solve the rpoblem, unless you plan on taking pills for the rest of your life. Which will definitly be shorter, judging by the abuse I have read about her ein this thread.

I take naproxen sodium (generic Aleve) sometimes because I have a lingering leg problem from a car accident years ago that acts up at times. Rest doesn't really do anything for it, I'm on my feet all day at work and the last three weeks I've felt significantly better on Monday than I have on many previous Mondays because I've been a lot more active on the weekend; not being active seems to actually make it worse when I'm having to be on it a lot again. I very rarely take more than the recommended maximum dosage (2 per day) though, generally unless I'm really wanting to play if I'm hurting bad I take the day off from golf; I also play without taking anything whenever possible.

I don't use it for disc golf related pain really, if my throwing arm/shoulder hurts then I rest it.

I also like naproxen (aleve), but I have been taking it after play, not before.

I've learned to avoid muscle relaxants even the day before, because of problems with alertness, mental accuity, and muscle speed. I normally like to take a muscle relaxant after a day of play, but what if I am playing the next day too?

Latest posts