• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Type plastic you throw

The only time I carry all one type is when it's raining or really cold and I carry a full bag of Vibram discs. On sunny/dry days, I carry all different types.

Premium plastic for everything except my putting putters and some approach putters. Champ if I want the disc a little more OS, gstar if I want it a little more US.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to number of discs carried. Right now most of my drivers are opto, Z plastic for approach and KC-Pro for putter.

I thought this way at first when I started playing. But eventually I realized that my supposed need to throw the same plastic type for "consistency" was all in my head. What broke that mentality for me was when I tried closing my eyes, grabbing a disc at random from a box of drivers, and realized I couldn't definitively say what plastic I was holding. Sure, I could tell whether it was a premium or baseline, but it's actually pretty difficult to *feel* the difference between Star and Champ or between Fuzion and Lucid. There are exceptions, such as in the rain or extreme humidity. But for most situations I highly doubt you'll be able to pick up a disc blindfolded and be able to state what plastic it is. I would much prefer to throw two discs of the same mold, where one is in max durability plastic and the other will break in quicker, rather than two different molds.

Last edited:
The only time I ever think about plastic is when it is wet; I might avoid throwing a Champ/Z-type plastic when it's wet because I lose grip there. Otherwise I throw whatever disc I think will hold the line I want, plastic is no big deal.

To me the plastic is everything. Even if I am not good enough for it to matter. I love gummy grippy premium for drivers and some mids, kc pro for rocs, by soft for my harp, eraser wizards. I have started adding in some prodigy. Their plastics are fantastic. 400s is perfection. Like old pearly gummy champ. Innova luster has been fantastic lately too. The orangish Drew Gibson Leopard3s with gold and silver stamps are my fave plastic in the world. And this years runs of luster have been nice and gummy. Last years were pearly and still nice but the new runs have taken it to another level. Really wish this were a production plastic and not reserved for special runs. I would love love love a luster Wraith.

Last edited:
I'm not too picky, but I do like stiff baseline in my mids and putters, for sure. Old school Medium and G9i wizards, KC Rocs. And I like old CE and 11x plastic for my teebirds and Firebirds, firm and flat.

For putting I prefer soft baseline plastics and for throwing a nice grippy premium one. Sometimes when I hold my Anode or Insanity I think an all-Plasma bag would be sweet. But I'm pretty happy with a mix of Neutron, Proton, Plasma, Z, Z Flex, Opto, Gold and 400.

Definitely mold dependent. I like icon rivals and champ teebirds. Putters mostly in legend or icon. Thunderbirds in g star. Champ (or color glow) firebirds. And I generally have a mix of star and champ outside of that

I use base plastic for my putters ... I perfer a Stiffer putter in a base plastic so i putt with Psychos, my approach putter is in R-Pro, I perfer metal flake or champion for my midranges and star or like for my drivers... I do have a driver i use mainly in the woods that is dx, it is also the one i use on water carries and the like.

After 7 years of playing, I've just recently discovered the benefits of cheap plastic. The grip is better in wet conditions, absorbs tree hits better, and sits quickly after landing. I am now focusing on molds that give me the option of purchasing both cheap and premium plastics. I think this is worth it for the ground action alone, but I initially did it for the grip. The pacific northwest is wet for all but about 3 months out of the year. Even on a nice dry day, the morning dew is heavy. I am surprised at how few players I see using the cheap stuff for anyting other than putters.

When...

Wet: 300
Snow: Vibram Medium
Hot/Dry: Opto
How/Humid: ESP
Cold: GStar
Over Water: DX
Over Minefields: ProD

Putters are the only mold for which I've almost exclusively used base/pro plastics. I've never thought of my bag broken down by plastic type so I took shot:

9 Pro/DX (1 fairway, 3 mid, 5 putter)
8 Champ (5 fairway, 2 mid, 1 putter)
6 Star (3 driver, 3 fairway)

I'd prefer using molds that share pieces, different plastics can be chosen for a certain flight characteristics or conditions.

Last edited:
"How much do you attempt to acquire the same type plastic for the sake of the feel, and consistent release, etc. "

Another "Not at all" vote here. While I like base plastic, some of the courses I play will chew it up in short order. With that in mind I carry base and premium versions of my favorite discs.

I haven't gone with a single type of plastic, but I have ruled out Z and Champion for backhands. I have dry hands and just get inconsistent releases with them. Big Z seems to be ok for me, though. Most of my discs are either Star, Gold Line, ESP, Z-Flx or Ti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't gone with a single type of plastic, but I have ruled out Z and Champion for backhands. I have dry hands and just get inconsistent releases with them. Big Z seems to be ok for me, though. Most of my discs are either Star, Gold Line, ESP, Z-Flx or Ti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree about the Champion and Z for sure. Very durable, but not much else I like about them, especially with so many other options.

Putters are the only mold for which I've almost exclusively used base/pro plastics. I've never thought of my bag broken down by plastic type so I took shot:

9 Pro/DX (1 fairway, 3 mid, 5 putter)
8 Champ (5 fairway, 2 mid, 1 putter)
6 Star (3 driver, 3 fairway)

I'd prefer using molds that share pieces, different plastics can be chosen for a certain flight characteristics or conditions.

Good idea. In my bag now:

7 TI/ESP/GoldLine/Star/BigZ (4 driver, 1 control, 2 mid)
3 TI-Flx/ESP-Flx (1 driver, 1 fairway, 1 mid)
3 Z (2 driver, 1 app/putt)
2 Base (2 app/putt)

Flex is almost it's own category. Grip is so different from anything else.

Latest posts