• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Uli rule call?!

This technicality prevents a lot of 'layup' shots. Especially to a basket that has a hard turn in either direction.

So as a RHBH thrower I am laying up with a straight shot to a dogleg right hole because for any reason I am not able to make the anhyzer shot to the pin. This is illegal? :wall: :D

THIS is the reason I have never been interested in competitive play. Way to go PDGA for promoting the sport.
I'm not sure you understand the rule here my man. You can throw straight to the landing zone -- that's not illegal. All that's required by Line of Play stuff is that when you plant your foot for the throw, it's gotta be behind your mini in line with the basket. So you might throw straight, but your legal plant might be to the rear left of the mini.

I think line of intended flight is a good rule but would we have to call our shot? lol

I am also picturing some jerk callingme for a penalty when I griplock and my disc didnt follow the way my feet set up

pandoras box

No, the fact that I can't legally play a 'layup' shot on specific holes means that I may not want to play in events that abide by the PDGA rules.

Rules are rules, we do need rules. But when the rules infringe on legitimate play, it doesn't draw people in.

You can legally play a layup shot on all those holes. you just have to stand behind your disc in relation to the target (basket or mando) then you can throw your shot.

The fairway has to be a legal target...I mean what is the purpose of throwing from the tee box and throwing your disc into bushes?

Define "the fairway." Some holes don't have a "fairway."

When dropping on a line in golf there's no consideration made for hazards, etc. You're asked to drop on a line that extends from the hole through the point where the ball last crossed the hazard line back as far as you'd like.

"Line of play" in golf only really comes into play when you're talking about indicating the line of play (i.e. a caddie showing you where to go on a blind shot), an obstruction in the line of play, and things like that.

That's like saying you cannot aim down the fairway but you have to aim to where the basket is even though there is a wall of trees blocking you. Good luck and don't even think about aiming at that treeless, bushless, strip of grass to your left. If you go that way you are committing a foul and not aiming towards the intended target and going outside the line of play. Kind of sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

It says nothing like that.

Just step slightly to the side of your mini. I don't know what's so hard to understand about this. If the basket is 45° to the left (at 10:30), step towards the back right portion of your mini (4:30) throwing straight through 12 o'clock.

The golf example holds no weight in this discussion as golf doesn't (nor should they) have any rules about stance.

It amazes me that people are using USGA rules for compairison in regards to foot faults when golf doesn't have stance rules!

pandoras box[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^
No kidding. I followed the lead group during the 2nd round of the yetter and overheard the stories about steve Brinster and Geoff B. almost fighting in the 1st round due these "head games: or people trying to follow/enforce the rules. I also watched as Feldberg almost have a nervous breakdown bc things werent going his way. He ended up out of bounds on hole 27--he threw it in the road and then complained about not having a good line to basket and then on the next hole he was walking down the fairway cursing out load to himself. Kinda reminded of billy murrays characted from King Pin. The dude could be a certified nut bag.

At least on the card i was watching all of the guys would question each other about if they could move thing in or around their mini or inside or outside the circle putts, or when who out in a very nice professional way.

No, the fact that I can't legally play a 'layup' shot on specific holes means that I may not want to play in events that abide by the PDGA rules.

Rules are rules, we do need rules. But when the rules infringe on legitimate play, it doesn't draw people in.

LULZ. Who ever said you can't legally play a layup shot?

One of DGs biggest problems is that nobody wants to be 'that guy' who calls violations.

PLAY BY THE MOTHER_______ RULES!....oh wait, what? You don't know the rules b/c every casual round you've played nobody has ever called/informed you that you were breaking a rule?

Biggest DG problem, people either don't know the rules or don't want to be the guy that calls violations b/c the game is about fun and it's not fun to play be the rule book.

GTFOI, learn the rules, teach other the rules, and maybe our grand kids can play DG by the book, instead of like a left-handed lettuce burning, patchoulie stinking dbag.

Ball golf doesn't have stance violations because you have to hit the ball from the lie. It doesn't matter where your feet are. We could dispense with the stance restrictions if we simply required that the disc had to be released within a certain distance of the lie and pass directly over the lie after release. But that might be more difficult to perform and to monitor for compliance.

One of DGs biggest problems is that nobody wants to be 'that guy' who calls violations.

PLAY BY THE MOTHER_______ RULES!....oh wait, what? You don't know the rules b/c every casual round you've played nobody has ever called/informed you that you were breaking a rule?

Biggest DG problem, people either don't know the rules or don't want to be the guy that calls violations b/c the game is about fun and it's not fun to play be the rule book.

GTFOI, learn the rules, teach other the rules, and maybe our grand kids can play DG by the book, instead of like a left-handed lettuce burning, patchoulie stinking dbag.

The problem is that these rules are hard to follow, enforce, and understand in a situation where you can't see the basket, and are only guessing its exact direction. I have no problem enforcing rules that make sense.

I still propose that planting your foot anywhere within 12'' of your mini on any side would completely make this BS irrelevant. Obviously this would not apply within the circle, or if planting your foot in front of your mini would put you within the circle. If someone is shooting from 200' out in the fairway, I honestly do not think the extra 12 inches they could take would be an issue. Its a simpler cleaner rule that everyone can instantly understand and know how to enforce.

Ball golf doesn't have stance violations because you have to hit the ball from the lie. It doesn't matter where your feet are. We could dispense with the stance restrictions if we simply required that the disc had to be released within a certain distance of the lie and pass directly over the lie after release. But that might be more difficult to perform and to monitor for compliance.

Well, to be pedantic, stance matters in golf a few ways. For one, you can't strike the ball while standing on your line or astride the line. Croquet putting was banned when Sam Snead began putting that way, forcing him to putt "side saddle."

If you insist:

Based on that definition, every "hole" has a fairway.

Also based on that, just about everywhere that's in bounds is the fairway. The point is that "the fairway" is not a small point like "the pole." It's too ambiguous.

I am disappointed that players at the highest level of the game are uneducated unemployed slobs without any shred of writing ability.

I wonder how thick Uli's remedial high school arithmetic book is?

I am disappointed that players at the highest level of the game are uneducated unemployed slobs without any shred of writing ability.

I wonder how thick Uli's remedial high school arithmetic book is?

Who uses the word arithmetic anymore?