• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ulibarri Displays True Sportsmanship

Thumber

Double Eagle Member
Is this classy or dumb?

Thoughts?
Ulibarri Displays True Sportsmanship
Reposted account by VPO tournament director Chris Browning: "GG (Garrett Gurthie) won in the playoff over (Paul) Ulibarri on the third hole. Paul exhibited one of the greatest moments of sportsmanship I have ever witnessed in disc golf. On the first playoff hole, both players' second shots were close. Garrett was out and on ...a 15' putt, he hit dead center chain and the disc dropped in the basket. However, what happened next I have never seen before the disc hit the bottom of the cage and bounced out."
Not wanting to win on the flukiest of shots, Paul threw his putt into the dirt and both players finished out with a 4.

"On the next hole Paul got into trouble on the drive and had to pitch out into the fairway. GG's drive was laying nicely, and he threw his approach to about 20' away. Paul's upshot was parked, but GG missed the putt to win, forcing a third hole."

"The guys played Hole 1, which is a 594' hole that has a dogleg right into a small opening in the trees about 80' from the basket. Paul threw a great drive that landed about 20' short of the opening. GG uncorked an anhyzer that glided perfectly through the opening and left him putting for 2 from about 35' out. Paul's upshot landed about 10' behind GG's drive, and Paul attempted a long jump putt that fell short, leaving him laying three by the basket. GG missed the long putt, but had a drop-in 3 to secure the win."

Stay Classy, Paul Ulibarri...

Personally, I would have taken the win....bounce outs are part of the game.

Original article

Reposted account by VPO tournament director Chris Browning: "GG (Garrett Gurthie) won in the playoff over (Paul) Ulibarri on the third hole. Paul exhibited one of the greatest moments of sportsmanship I have ever witnessed in disc golf. On the first playoff hole, both players' second shots were close. Garrett was out and on ...a 15' putt, he hit dead center chain and the disc dropped in the basket. However, what happened next I have never seen before the disc hit the bottom of the cage and bounced out."

Not wanting to win on the flukiest of shots, Paul threw his putt into the dirt and both players finished out with a 4.

"On the next hole Paul got into trouble on the drive and had to pitch out into the fairway. GG's drive was laying nicely, and he threw his approach to about 20' away. Paul's upshot was parked, but GG missed the putt to win, forcing a third hole."

"The guys played Hole 1, which is a 594' hole that has a dogleg right into a small opening in the trees about 80' from the basket. Paul threw a great drive that landed about 20' short of the opening. GG uncorked an anhyzer that glided perfectly through the opening and left him putting for 2 from about 35' out. Paul's upshot landed about 10' behind GG's drive, and Paul attempted a long jump putt that fell short, leaving him laying three by the basket. GG missed the long putt, but had a drop-in 3 to secure the win."

Stay Classy, Paul Ulibarri...

You just beat me!

I guess instead of the mods combining threads that are just reposted articles, they could just delete one...

Your thread was posted at :56, mine at :57, so I was copypasting at the same time you were!

yea that was a bad break for GG but i dunno if i could toss my putt in the dirt b/c of it...i look at the bounce out as just part of the game..it sucks but it happens to all of us

yea my thoughts exactly...its an awful break for GG but i dont think i would toss my putt in the dirt b/c of it...bad bounces are part of the game and happen to all of us..curious to know if GG would have done the same thing...?

edit: nvm

edit 2: the content. That's dumb. Welcome to sports. Not everything goes perfectly all the time. You dumb Paul, you dumb.

Keep in mind that most of these guys are friends. I wouldn't want to beat a friend in a tourney due to a BS spit-out. I think a lot of people will hold Paul in higher regard after this.

I don't care if I'm playing against Jesus or a 10-year-old handicapped kid...if I'm in a playoff, I'm taking (though probably not making) that putt.

That's like a batter stepping off base so he can get tagged out in a playoff game b/c he got on due to an error.

I play against my friends all the time and we all know ****e happens in DG. I certainly have never had someone throw away a putt because I had a bad spit out and we are friends and all....they take the opportunity where it presents itself.

I don't care if I'm playing against Jesus or a 10-year-old handicapped kid...if I'm in a playoff, I'm taking (though probably not making) that putt.

That is the difference between you and he.....that and a a$$ load of pro wins, sponsorship, and fans. But you are probably the one is right.....right?

"well the ref blew a call and we wouldn't have felt right getting the ball back when clearly our guy fumbled and the other team recovered. That's why when we snapped it our QB calmly handed the ball to their charging inside line backer that the center let through". - A quote that no football team is ever gonna say.

I play against my friends all the time and we all know ****e happens in DG. I certainly have never had someone throw away a putt because I had a bad spit out and we are friends and all....they take the opportunity where it presents itself.

Yes sir, and we always play for money as well. $hit does happen and it happens to all of us. I have been screwed many times but I have also won many times to similar events. It happens

Latest posts