• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ulibarri Displays True Sportsmanship

The missed shot did not cause him to lose the tourney. It extended the match and he lost later.

The missed shot did not cause him to lose the tourney. It extended the match and he lost later.

okay. If he chose not to "extend the match":doh: by throwing his shot into the dirt then he wouldn't have lost the tornament, period. This is a fact. His oponent would have lost, the match would have been over, He would have won it by making his putt... The tournament would have ended with him as the winner right? I dont see the logic in saying what he did was righteous. In any other profesional sport he would be considered a jackass. Disc golf is a profesional sport = he's a jackass IMO. If I had a doubles partner who did what he did and it costed us the tournament and money I would probably punch them in the face.

Last edited:
Exactly.

This isn't the Stanley Cup.

Its only crappy old disc golf, who cares right. Since pro disc golfers dont make millions of dollars it doesn't matter if you make a fatal error in judgment causing you to lose a tournament? Agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I agree with you on everything else but your logic is flawed :) i think it was a poor decision. but it INDIRECTLY led to him losing. he still had the opportunity to win but failed to do so.

I agree with you on everything else but your logic is flawed :) i think it was a poor decision. but it INDIRECTLY led to him losing. he still had the opportunity to win but failed to do so.

Yeah I hear you, what he did was kind hearted and a "nice" thing to do. But... when your playing in a profesional tournament I dont think the point is to be a "nice guy". Its to win.

Say your opponent is all in with the nutz on the turn, but your one outter hits on the river, do you muck the winning hand?

just curious, but when was this and what kind of baskets were on the course? I might be able to understand if you were playing on old style baskets. They do not catch well compared to today's standard and the baskets are much shallower as well. 'Good shots' can be rejected much more easily. But modern baskets are like black holes comparatively.

Have you ever played Burlington's Cedarrock course? They baskets were Mach I's with added inner chains. The actual basket had criss-crossed wired to prevent the discs from sliding out the side. It still came out.

It was bad luck.

well now since your opponent went all in and you called him, you both have to show your hands effectively creating "dead hands". you cant muck an all-in call. correct me if im wrong........

just curious, but when was this and what kind of baskets were on the course? I might be able to understand if you were playing on old style baskets. They do not catch well compared to today's standard and the baskets are much shallower as well. 'Good shots' can be rejected much more easily. But modern baskets are like black holes comparatively.

twas 2003

I was on the same road as you, Terry C, but I got off well short of the "jackass" exit.

okay. If he chose not to "extend the match":doh: by throwing his shot into the dirt then he wouldn't have lost the tornament, period. This is a fact. His oponent would have lost, the match would have been over, He would have won it by making his putt... The tournament would have ended with him as the winner right? I dont see the logic in saying what he did was righteous. In any other profesional sport he would be considered a jackass. Disc golf is a profesional sport = he's a jackass IMO. If I had a doubles partner who did what he did and it costed us the tournament and money I would probably punch them in the face.

I just lost all respect I had for you.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that because they're pro their decisions are infallible. :\ Being pro doesn't stop him from being human, which also doesn't stop other people from disagreeing with their decisions. Also, Paul's what, 19 years old? 20? It's not like he's built up some vast wealth of life experience that would make me put his sportmanship decisions over my own, or anyone else's for that matter.

Where did you get the idea that I think a pro's decision is infallible? I am merely saying that my game, as well as 99% of other DG's, is not on a true professional's level, and therefore are not in a position to call their choices on the course stupid or dumb. We don't know all the circumstances so making that judgement would be stupid.

Where did you get the idea that I think a pro's decision is infallible? I am merely saying that my game, as well as 99% of other DG's, is not on a true professional's level, and therefore are not in a position to call their choices on the course stupid or dumb. We don't know all the circumstances so making that judgement would be stupid.

I don't have to be a professional to have an opinion on sports and competition. I still think the quiet handshake splitting of pots before the final playoff isn't good, but Scarpfish provided an excellent perspective on it. Basically it is a result of the small players pool at the top and the very small payouts. this wouldn't happen if real, professional level sports cash was on the line.

I maintain that it was a dumb move. Bounce outs happen at every event. They are part of the game and should not be subject to charity in this way.

Boy, a lot of folks bickering over a matter here that didn't involve them, and where no third parties were harmed. Or is there an underground DG betting syndicate that I should know about that had big money riding on the outcome of the VPO. I suppose if Uli ends up in a shallow grave in the desert, well know soon enough.

Anyways, if you didn't care for his decision to drop the would have been winning putt, fine and dandy, but there's no need for name calling, particularly by folks that will never be at this guy's level of play or understand the life of a traveling DG pro.

well now since your opponent went all in and you called him, you both have to show your hands effectively creating "dead hands". you cant muck an all-in call. correct me if im wrong........

I will correct you, but you are half right... ;-)

This is only a tournament rule (and not even strictly enforced at all tournaments). I know we are talking about a DG tournament, but poker is very different with regards to tournaments and cash games. The poker rule is also only in place to prevent collusion and "chip dumping" in tournaments.

Last edited:
I don't have to be a professional to have an opinion on sports and competition. I still think the quiet handshake splitting of pots before the final playoff isn't good, but Scarpfish provided an excellent perspective on it. Basically it is a result of the small players pool at the top and the very small payouts. this wouldn't happen if real, professional level sports cash was on the line.

I maintain that it was a dumb move. Bounce outs happen at every event. They are part of the game and should not be subject to charity in this way.

Also wrong...it happens all the time with tens (and even hundreds) of thousands of dollars on the line all the time in poker...

why are we comparing a sport to a card game?
I suppose because collusion and pot splitting happens at the professional level in both endeavors, albeit for slightly different reasons.

And admittedly, its a flawed analogy. A top poker tournament player can make every decision correctly and still bust out when the luck of an upcoming card isn't on his side. That's why a lot of players make agreements to pool up their winnings. In DG, luck isn't so much of a factor.

Latest posts