• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ulibarri Displays True Sportsmanship

My first indication of the practice was around 1990 when we held a skins competition before the MN Majestic. Two locals were playing and two pros who happened to be traveling together. One of the pros had a 10-footer to push what was a 5 or 6 skin carryover. He obviously putted low so his traveling partner won the accumulated skins.

You guys would find evil in a real Santa Claus, good in a real demon and controversy in a perfectly executed spring wedding.

JHC man...JFHC.

I'd say this is a good example of sportsmanship. If you putt dead center and it does not go in, that is not a fault in the player. That's a random event that occasionally happens.

And, yes, pros in other sports do show sportsmanship in the same way. Someone said soccer, which is a very good example. Another good example I heard about a year ago involved a softball game on the college level. A girl had hit a home run with the game on the line and subsequently broke her ankle before getting to first base. In order for her team to gain that run and win she HAD to run/walk the bases, which she could not do. So, infield players from the opposing team carried her from base to base essentially sealing defeat.

I see that story and Ulibarri's story both being good examples of sportsmanship.

If you putt dead center from 15' and it doesn't go in then you did something wrong. Yea it sucks and yea it doesn't happen very often but IT DOES.

I think he did it because they both play for Innova. No effin way he does that if he's playing against a Discraft or Gateway guy.

If the purpose of PDGA run events is to increase exposure of the sport then i think this is not a good move. I understand the whole split the money anyway so what does it matter argument but from a spectator POV I would be disappointed. Imagine if there was actual media at the event....the poor TD would be pulling their hair out.

Reporter - Oh GG just had a putt spit out. PU can put it away here.
Reporter - Oh my....PU just threw his shot on the ground, missing on purpose....I'm not sure what is going on here

I would be interested to hear TDs opinion on this.

he obviously didnt feel right winning that way i dont think it takes away from the title

So the spectators thought there was $500 on the line ($1500 vs. $1000) but the guys were just playing for a trophy and bragging rights. If that's the case, I'd rather just watch 'em play a practice round in the park. Don't people want to see pros sinking that pressure putt for big money? I certainly do. This puts finals on par with the thrill of watching a Cubby ace.
There were no "finals" here. This was a sudden death playoff after the conclusion of regular tournament play.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=9706

And what would it matter to any spectators (do we even have spectators aside from the other players) what these guys do with their money after the proceedings are finished. That's none of their business.

I also think everyone has to remember that our "pros" are making macaroni and cheese money for their efforts. They'll often piggyback a ride with other players going to the same tourney to split gas money/lodging costs. When the big tourney is in whatever town, he'll have other traveling pros crash at the local pro's house so they don't have to get a motel room. These guys aren't exactly living the sweet life, and everybody knows what their peers are going through grinding it out.

Now perhaps one day, purses on the tourney circuit will be ten or twenty times what they are now, and these guys won't have to resort to these kind of practices, if that is indeed what happened here.

My first indication of the practice was around 1990 when we held a skins competition before the MN Majestic. Two locals were playing and two pros who happened to be traveling together. One of the pros had a 10-footer to push what was a 5 or 6 skin carryover. He obviously putted low so his traveling partner won the accumulated skins.
Now in skins, that kind of collusion is a screwy practice to intentionally miss so your partner can take the money. You're cheating out the other players.

I went into the final round of the Sneaky Pete with a big lead and blew it on a very windy final round. It resulted in a playoff. We both parred the 1st hole and on the 2nd hole my opponent parked it and I was easily 40 ft out. I made my putt and he threw his 10 footer in and it bounced out of the bottom. After the pay out I offered to split the cash. He played better golf. It was the right thing to do.

I went into the final round of the Sneaky Pete with a big lead and blew it on a very windy final round. It resulted in a playoff. We both parred the 1st hole and on the 2nd hole my opponent parked it and I was easily 40 ft out. I made my putt and he threw his 10 footer in and it bounced out of the bottom. After the pay out I offered to split the cash. He played better golf. It was the right thing to do.

Now THAT is classy.

If any professional athlete throws a match because they feel sorry for their opponent then they're a total idiot. In hockey,baseball,football,soccer,basketball,etc... the idiot would be instantly fired/demoted to the minor leagues, and the butt of jokes for years to come. If you want to lose matches because you feel sorry for beating other people then maybe you should stick to playing AM3 in tournaments or dont play tournaments at all, remain a casual disc golfer. And if you like to hand matches over to your opponents then PM me and we can meet up for a round.

He didn't THROW a match, he extended the match...there is a difference...a big one.

He didn't THROW a match, he extended the match...there is a difference...a big one.

He intentionally missed a shot causing him to lose a tournament. He's supposed to be a professional. Hes an idiot. A very kind hearted idiot. FAIL!!

...and on the 2nd hole my opponent parked it and I was easily 40 ft out. I made my putt and he threw his 10 footer in and it bounced out of the bottom.

just curious, but when was this and what kind of baskets were on the course? I might be able to understand if you were playing on old style baskets. They do not catch well compared to today's standard and the baskets are much shallower as well. 'Good shots' can be rejected much more easily. But modern baskets are like black holes comparatively.

Latest posts