• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ulibarri Displays True Sportsmanship

I think it is extremely classy what Paul did and I applaud him for it. No one wants to win on a fluke; if you do, you feel like you didn't really win and neither does the other person. It's a lose-lose situation and I think that's what sidewinding was getting at.

I'm classier than you so... I'll let you win! Huh?

I dont get it! You're playing for a win right? Or no?
If I'm winning, I'm not going to throw in the towell. No way!
Is it a good win we're looking for? Or just a win? OK If I win & I gloat about it, OK that's not very classy but otherwise... I'm greedy & want the trophy & the cash $$

i was there and it was pretty cool. they split the money frank so it was all about the trophy and whatever innova does for a a tier win

I certainly wouldn't categorize it as dumb. It's like all those old movies where two guys are swordfighting, one guy loses his sword and the good guy gives him the sword back before he kills him.

Only in this case the guy didn't kill the previously swordless guy.

i was there and it was pretty cool. they split the money frank so it was all about the trophy and whatever innova does for a a tier win

Collusion u say? Consider it reported to the PDGA.

I certainly wouldn't categorize it as dumb. It's like all those old movies where two guys are swordfighting, one guy loses his sword and the good guy gives him the sword back before he kills him.

Only in this case the guy didn't kill the previously swordless guy.

Don't attempt to impose your 1950s morals on this story old man.

Ulibari knows deep down that he can golf circles around GG. Nice move.
DSCJNKY

I do not know either guy. I have crossed paths (or fairways due to an errant drive in a tournament :doh:) with Ulibarri and he seems like a decent guy.

Real class would have been if GG split the $$$ with Ulibarri after the round. Maybe this was already decided before the playoff began, but if not, that would be the classy thing to do. IMHO

Not a person that judges the decisions that a pro makes in a tournament, because I realize that I know little in comparison to them.....and a friend of Paul's.
I don't know where you're getting the idea that because they're pro their decisions are infallible. :\ Being pro doesn't stop him from being human, which also doesn't stop other people from disagreeing with their decisions. Also, Paul's what, 19 years old? 20? It's not like he's built up some vast wealth of life experience that would make me put his sportmanship decisions over my own, or anyone else's for that matter.

This was a dumb ass move,

way to blow a bunch of money over "class" Paul.

you're dumb.

Edit: ^ Sarcasm?

Yeah, the more I think about it the world 'class' doesn't fit. Throwing a game =/= class.

No sarcasm here actually. That's a stupid move.

You hit it right on the head, throwing a game =/= class.

Imagine the uproar if Fantasy DG, or even remote wagering on DG, was a reality.

Something to consider, but I have no knowledge of this particular situation, is that many times top pros tied for first will quietly agree to split the cash before the playoff starts. So it's possible the money wasn't at stake but just the trophy and glory. But classy move regardless.

This happens all the time in our area. any of the top pros in Ohio and surrounding states always split. i would be willing to bet that was the situation.

The whole agreement to splitting the pot, or douchebaggery vs. decency arguments aside, I can't help but feel like this particular move was also a statement about the 'unfairness' of our current basket models. No, I'm not saying they're somehow unfair from a technical standpoint.. just players occasionally feel like a putt that could not have possibly missed didn't stay in the basket. If you can't change the laws of physics or probability, maybe it's just time to design a 'fairer' basket?

I think that it was a classy move myself don't you think he is going to get a lot more respect because of it and that will lead him to more sponsorships and money in the long run because now he is looked upon as being a respectful young gun of the sport. just giving my thoughts on this story

Personally, if I were the guy who had a putt bounce out in a fluky way like that, I would never want or expect another player to purposely drop a stroke to make up for it. The way our equipment is, that's just part of the game, and it happens to everyone sooner or later. If they had already split the money, that makes it pretty meaningless though.

Latest posts