• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Underrated discs

The Discraft Zeppelin, 2011's Ace Race disc. I don't think anybody throws them, they were much hated, and never went into production.

I think it is one of the smoothest approach discs there is. You throw it, and it goes where you tell it to. It has a small following here, but generally it's very underrated...or unknown by most players.

Zeppelin was 2011? what about the Nebula? Dynamic Discs was selling a few of those the other day at Cedar Hill in TN

Can't put a prodigy disc on here they are far from underrated and not enough of them are even out there to BE rated at all.

Here's my list that I can think of

Panther
Impact
Glide

At one time I would've said the Zone and Banger GT but now everyone seems to be using them both so it's just the three above.

I'm the only person I know that throws a Wedge. Great tweener disc for short range (175-250) hyzer flips and turnovers.

What does the Viking resemble??

For me, a Viking is inbetween a Valkyrie and a beat up Firebird. I use mine when I can't afford it to high speed turn but don't want crazy fade either. Or moderate wind, say 10 - 14 mph

For me, a Viking is inbetween a Valkyrie and a beat up Firebird. I use mine when I can't afford it to high speed turn but don't want crazy fade either. Or moderate wind, say 10 - 14 mph

So not as flippy as a Valk, but it will flip?

Going to need an XL, i had one for awhile and it got lost in some water. Very sad. I loved it. Don't know why I never replaced it. I'm also going to be trying a Flash and possibly a Viking.

Timberwolf and Crosslap discs I've never heard of, perhaps once they are more available, but chances are if I go online to purchase a disc it will be something specific, not an unknown gamble.

Loved a Star Classic Cobra I got in a tourney players pack. Unfortunately, it now rests at the bottom of an icky pond. Damn you, Cedar Hills #7!

My first star cobra is in the bottom of the pond at deer lakes.Aced with it like 2 weeks before I lost it ;; must be a thing.
Good thing I liked it so much I bought 5. Just ordered a champion one to try.

Cobra's always been my roc!

(just tried an ESP Impact yesterday that felt similar and flew pretty similar too, liked it so much I almost wish I hadn't tried it, I've got too many cobras to change now...)

the z-extreme is another very underrated disc. for controlled distance shots around 200-250ft, where you have a little room, this is a great disc. discraft has a special production (LE) run out right now.

Gonna go with the Coyote even tho I think the Fuse just kicked it out the bag

I know this will probably get shot down but i love my quarter k II. I got it for free at my local disc shop bc the guy working there hated it. The bullet rim feels awesome in my hand. Its currently the disc i get the most distance with just as long as there is no headwind of course.

Here's one I haven't heard mentioned or seen in anyone's bag but mine. Backbone. It's not a "straight at the basket" type mid for me, but if you need a "bend and skip" approach, Backbone does the trick.

Last edited:
Here's one I haven't heard mentioned or seen in anyone's bag but mine. Backbone. It's not a "straight at the basket" type mid for me, but if you need a "bend and skip" approach, Backbone does the trick.

If you had paid me a million dollars, I still wouldn't have been able to tell you who makes the "Backbone." That has to be one of the most seldom used discs out there.

I'm gonna go with a Z Tracker, this disc handles power really well, has a tight S turn and the small rim is excellent for control.
But where this disc really excels is low tunnel shots, low lines, low ceilings, I love throwing this disc around hip high and it stays there until it fades out. Its perfect at the 300ft to 350 range.