• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Understable complement to Comet

Slower than a Stratus? Hmmmm.....I think you are looking for a putter. X Putt'r is pretty understable. I thought the Comet was the understable complement, lol.

I'm a noodle arm, I can't get turn out of a 170g X Comet at around 220-235 ft. If I really rip in it I can see maybe some turn, but I don't like to really rip on it because I'm only throwing it when accuracy is required.

It holds a line to the ground, but sometimes I want a disc that can turn a bit.

It's the Axiom Theory or MVP Vertex.

Damn that's what I was going to say.. Lighter weight in those would probably be the ticket... if the stratus didn't work though I think you are looking for a putter... I complement my Comet with a vertex the putter equivalent is a Spin...

I'm a noodle arm, I can't get turn out of a 170g X Comet at around 220-235 ft. If I really rip in it I can see maybe some turn, but I don't like to really rip on it because I'm only throwing it when accuracy is required.

It holds a line to the ground, but sometimes I want a disc that can turn a bit.

A lot of my take has to do with the particular Comet I am throwing. To be fair wolfmandragon is really correct. The Comet is a neutral disc, not understable. If you are throwing it correctly, you should not be getting a lot of turn out of it.

Except:
Fuse (old version of Goldline)
Stari (max weight)
Tui (almost a mid, listed as a putter).

It's taken me 4 years to put together that list of 3.

As an avid Fuse thrower, I don't think the run makes much of a difference. What you want to avoid, if you want it to turn easily, is dome. Domey fuses will have more high speed stability, flatter fuses will offer turn earlier into the flight.

I usually bag 1 flat GL and 1 domier opto at all times.

That being said, if you have trouble finding flatter fuses, get an recycled line. Domey or no, they will knock the HSS out of it really quickly, then fly like a flat fuse for a good long while.

Comets are understable only if thrown with OAT.

Come on. You know that is an oversimplication. :)

Here is Michael Johansen speaking about a particular run of Comets, here on DGCR on July 19th.

From what I have thrown of them, they are flippier than the original ledgestone Ti comets, but aren't what I would call super understable. Seem like good, solid comets

Comets are not all exactly the same. It is my experience that the older runs of ESP are less stable than the quintessential "Comet". Michael Johansen thinks that the new Ti's are a bit understable. If the average Comet goes straight, then there must be some out there that are understable, at least by a little bit.

Comets are not all exactly the same. It is my experience that the older runs of ESP are less stable than the quintessential "Comet". Michael Johansen thinks that the new Ti's are a bit understable. If the average Comet goes straight, then there must be some out there that are understable, at least by a little bit.

Yep, and the understable ones are the flat ones - very little shoulder and flat top.

If you're looking for "slower", then you need an approach disc/fast putter. I'd suggest the Mirage or even the Deputy.

Folks are suggesting a lot of newer models but for understable mid it's hard to beat the old Stingray. Too much anny and it will dive and cut roll; but thrown flat or with a very slight anny with good spin and it will slow turn all the way to the ground. I carry a light weight DX version that's money. I use it when I need a more gradual turn than I get from a FH.

The Fuse and Tursas I have limited experience with but turn slow and do well. I do think they fly faster than the Comet so there's a minimum power to get them to turn, where the Comet is really easy to power down and throw with a putter style flight.

I would really look for a flatter Comet as has been mentioned in this thread a few times. My X with shoulder still is only a -0.5 turn after nearly 2 years, and was a firm 0 for a long time...flat ones even in ESP or Z are significantly less stable and I can get them to glide right from a slight hyzer release. If you already like the Comet, a flatter one is definitely a bit of a different flight shape if you are looking for these subtleties. If you are a clean enough thrower to find the Comet doesn't turn enough, I do think you'll enjoy a less stable shaped one.

As an avid Fuse thrower, I don't think the run makes much of a difference. What you want to avoid, if you want it to turn easily, is dome. Domey fuses will have more high speed stability, flatter fuses will offer turn earlier ......

Could be the dome. I figured that it was the PLH molding up different because of Goldline losing its firmness, but you seem to have thrown the mold more than me. I will take your word for it.
The 'new' Fuse I have is both speed and nose angle sensitive though.

Come on. You know that is an oversimplication. :)

Categorically, I would call the Comets stable, but yes, I see what you are saying. I was responding to someone categorically calling Comets understable.

Are you wanting something in a premium plastic? If not, a proD comet will get understable pretty quickly. A stratus is Discrafts classic US slow speed disc but they dont make it in premium plastic. If you want something in a premium plastic and it has to be discraft, then you have two options. A meteor, which is slightly faster mid than a comet but still pretty glidey. Or the Archer, which was the Ace Race disc 2 years ago and is touted as the premium plastic answer to the stratus. Both are rated -.5.

Personally, I would go with an Elite X Stratus. If you have a shop nearby, go feel them up and see which one you like better.

where do you find a proD comet

Could be the dome. I figured that it was the PLH molding up different because of Goldline losing its firmness, but you seem to have thrown the mold more than me. I will take your word for it.
The 'new' Fuse I have is both speed and nose angle sensitive though.

hmm. I suppose I haven't owned a Gold Line fuse that wasn't firm. Even my brand new pair (with the new GL stamp) aren't too soft. Feel more or less like my old GLs, just domier.

Could be a mixture of both the dome and plastic molding up with different part lines as you indicate.

Get some cheapo DX Rocs and rapid season one as needed. Toy with them and torque them. New stock Rancho fine, nothing fancy needed. If you are tossing Comets, adding Rocs to your field bag and as a carry disc should be pretty smooth with similar rims and bead. Will not come out of the hand much different.

Even X comets take a long while to get a big shift between newish and beat.

Latest posts