• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understable Disc Suggestions

Stingray.....nuff said

Me and the Stingray do not get along well at all. They are to understable for me and I cannot throw them well enough to benefit me. I realize that some of it is my form but the Stingray just keeps going to the right when I throw it. I have two Stingrays but I will not use them for that reason. I need something more versatile to throw.

Cobra is similar to a Stingray but one notch more stable. If you need to kick it up another notch try a Moray if you can find one. Cheetahs and Leopards are also in that range unstable-wise but not really mid-range. The Stratus tip is a good one too. If you want something slower an Aero will also hold an anhyzer line but it's more of a putter speed than a mid-range.

it promotes correct technique

Me and the Stingray do not get along well at all. They are to understable for me and I cannot throw them well enough to benefit me. I realize that some of it is my form but the Stingray just keeps going to the right when I throw it. I have two Stingrays but I will not use them for that reason. I need something more versatile to throw.

That is why I suggested it. It rewards correct technique. Try throwing it with more angle down and without flipping it. Like your throwing a long hook. It will do a nice S-turn that goes more right. Crank it a lil more (with a lil less angle)and it will anhyzer. Throw it flat with some juice and you got a awesome roller..... Go out to a field and try this, Preacher, I bet you'll learn to appreciate that disc

if you plan on throwing the disc less than 300ft id say a champ leopard i also have a 170polaris ls slightly worn that works pretty good it that range .

There are only three types of people...those who have a Comet, those who want a Comet, and those who really don't know what they want. Once the people who don't know what they want find out about the Comet, they know what they want.

I have a Comet, I'm not a fan. Couldn't knock my Skeeter out of the understable mid slot in my bag.
This just means you don't really know what you want. You just don't know that you don't really know what you want. Keep searching, my man. Keep searching. One day you will find what you are looking for a realize you had it the whole time.

if you plan on throwing the disc less than 300ft id say a champ leopard i also have a 170polaris ls slightly worn that works pretty good it that range .
:confused:

Suddenly I have that song from Sesame Street in my head..."one of these thing is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong..."

These are always hard questions to answer, because identical discs behave differently based on strength/snap. If a Wasp is your standard straight-line disc, then you should probably be able to throw a Buzzz with anhyzer. If the Wasp is more of a hyzer disc for you may want to try a Stratus. Though Stratuses still claim to be low-end drivers on Discraft's site, they feel much closer to midranges to me.

I am currently on the fence between the two. I can throw anhyzers with the Buzzz and get it to hold them if I'm warmed up, but not if I'm not. Stratuses are starting to turn over too much for me. Both are great discs regardless. If the Strat is too understable, it's a fantastic roller.

Stratus for a true understable Midrange - a Buzzz if ur looking for something a tad more understable than your Wasp.

Go with the Strat - i dont think there's too much difference between the Buzzz and Wasp

These are always hard questions to answer, because identical discs behave differently based on strength/snap. If a Wasp is your standard straight-line disc, then you should probably be able to throw a Buzzz with anhyzer. If the Wasp is more of a hyzer disc for you may want to try a Stratus. Though Stratuses still claim to be low-end drivers on Discraft's site, they feel much closer to midranges to me.

I am currently on the fence between the two. I can throw anhyzers with the Buzzz and get it to hold them if I'm warmed up, but not if I'm not. Stratuses are starting to turn over too much for me. Both are great discs regardless. If the Strat is too understable, it's a fantastic roller.

When I throw the Wasp RHBH it is generally a hyzer disc for me. When I throw it sidearm it is a straight-line disc for me. Maybe with more practice or better technique I might be able to use it in other ways but it works great for what I use it for. As I usually carry between 10-15 discs (and use more than 2/3 of those each round) so one more disc that will do a couple of things for me that my current discs do not do would be a great benefit for me.
In addition, based on the course I am playing the 10-15 discs that I carry will vary. I really have between 10-22 discs that I used based on the course and the weather. I switch them out as needed.

To me it's a hard question becasue I never look for a specifically understable disc to use for a turnover shot. In general IMO understable discs tend to be squirrelly and inconsistent. For me the answer to wanting a turnover Wasp is to get a Buzzz and beat it up. A beat up Buzzz will be a lot more consistent and easier to control in windy conditions than a Stratus. All of my turnover discs are beat-up stable discs.

However, must people don't want to wait three months for a disc to beat up to fill a slot in their bag. :(

I'm surprised that the Meteor and Skeeter have not been mentioned more. They are smaller and faster than a Wasp, but they are fairly common out of the box understable midrange discs.

I did a little research since I started this post and I am surprised by the few mentions of Innova discs and by the fact that the Meteor has not been mentioned. The Skeeter for me though is a straight-line disc that I have problems with finding the right amount of power to use when throwing this disc. I usually end up throwing it too far as the Skeeter seems to glide forever and has almost no fade.

I've come across your post 3 times and I keep thinking you wrote "understable midrange with a beard."

You Californians and your hallucinogenics. And ThreePutt, I don't like throwing finesse turnovers with large diameter mids, hence I throw Skeeters with my porcelain doll hands.

Preacher, you could try getting a lighter Wasp in Pro D and just beat the hell out of it. That should work too.

Buzz if want something a little less stable than a Wasp or a Comet will be a bit less stable. I've not thrown a Meteor, so I don't know much about it.

And ThreePutt, I don't like throwing finesse turnovers with large diameter mids, hence I throw Skeeters with my porcelain doll hands.
You just are not ready, my son. You have not traveled far enough down the path of true golf disc understanding. When you are ready the truth will be revealed to you and the Comet will be in your bag.

You just are not ready, my son. You have not traveled far enough down the path of true golf disc understanding. When you are ready the truth will be revealed to you and the Comet will be in your bag.

You convinced me, there is a place in my bag for comets, for holes that have disc eating water hazards. :D

Latest posts