• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Understable Fairways- Innova Molds

jjmiller

Eagle Member
I posted a thread the other day about a couple of uphill holes at the local course, and I'm thinking of picking up an understable fairway to start learning the art of the hyzer flip.

Looking for recommendations/comparisons, preferably between the Discmania FD, Leo/Leo3, and maybe even the Millennium JLS. Anything else I'm missing?

For US fairway molds, I've briefly owned a 175 Champ Leo3 that really didn't turn unless there was wind or I really crushed it, and a 167 Pinnacle Patriot that was a flip machine no matter how I threw it.

My BH strength varies from putters around 250 and mids around 275 on a bad day, to pushing 300 with putters and 325ish with mids on my very best days, for reference.

I'm mostly interested in whether or not I just had a very stable Leopard3, and how a "normal" Leo or an FD/JLS might compare. That Champ Leo3 was at least as stable as a Champ TL I was also throwing...

Of the molds I'm considering, which will turn easier? Hold the turn? Be the easiest/best tool to learn with? Is there another disc that I'm totally missing?

Oh, and I prefer the idea of Champ or at least Star plastic. I'd like to have one solid US disc that I can count on and get familiar with.

In your plastic preference or not, Pro Leopard.

I don't see the JLS or FD filling this role. They both will take a while to show turn in premium plastics.

FD is more -1/1, and I've definitely thrown fresh champ Leo3's that were -0.5/2. The Leo3 will beat in to the -2/1 flight eventually, and they hold a turn longer than an FD, but it may take some time.

The Star Sidewinder or Roadrunner is a good option. These are longer than a Leo and should start out less stable. Easy flight and glide and keep turning. If you want to stay in the slower speed range then Pro Leo or getting a used/beat in Leo or Leo3 is likely the best bet. If you are trying to get uphill as far as possible the Sidewinder or Roadrunner is better I think. At the lower distance ranges a Leo is easier to control...those other two just go really far I find.

Champ Leo3s are very similar to C or S-FDs in flight when new, but they will beat into their numbers eventually. I have a old Champ Leo, and it flies -1,1, but I assume it has been well used for the last 10+ years.

I second the Sidewinder or Roadrunner suggestion. Those and the Axiom Inspire were the first things I could hyzer flip. If stepping down a little could work, you might try a Stingray.

Another vote for Pro Leopards.

I went on a leopard kick a little bit ago, and purchased a bunch of them in different plastics. My best results have been with Leopards in Pro plastic.

The Pro Leopards that I have gotten vary somewhat in their stability, of course. But, right out of the box, I found them to be universally easier to throw than any of their premium plastic alternatives, which have more high speed stability. I expect that the Pro plastic will beat in faster than the premium plastic options, but Pro is a less expensive blend, so getting multiples of them is less costly - and I suggest getting multiples of these due to their flight variations.

The feel of Pro plastic can vary greatly from disc to disc. Some are very flexible, almost puddle top flat, and gummy feeling. Others are stiffer to varying degrees, with more dome, and with a slicker hand feel. I prefer stiffer discs, in general, but some of the gummy ones that I received have really nice slight turnover flights, and so I have been bagging one or two of them.

A Star Leopard3 will get 'er done for ya. Star or Pro Leopard, as well.

Also, consider picking up a Hannah Leatherman Swirly Star Leopard3. Awesome discs! :thmbup:

Unless recent ones are turning out understable, stay away from the Star Leo3, it tends to be the beefier version. Gstar is the way to go for a Leo3 to show some turn and maybe add a Star to the bag and start working it in.

From most understable to stable in my lineup:

Star Leopard (160 g)
GStar Leopard
GStar Leopard3
Star Leopard3

G-Line FD
S-Line FD
C-Line FD

You can always look used.
I'm not sure I want to part with my Leo3 just yet, and I would have to take it out and throw some 280' ish shots to see if it is as US at that distance, it doesn't have much wear on it but I thought it was pretty US when I bought it. its also 167g if that makes any difference I know my 167g FD started with more turn than the 175g (both C-line) but that was at full power.

Also don't discount a Gold Line River, I know you said innova but the River is pretty magical for this slot. My Selection of speed 7 Fairways though I only Bag a few is full of lots of Teebirds and Eagles and FDs and TLs and FD3 and Banshees and that LEO3... and a River.

Unless recent ones are turning out understable, stay away from the Star Leo3, it tends to be the beefier version. Gstar is the way to go for a Leo3 to show some turn and maybe add a Star to the bag and start working it in.

The Hannah Leatherman Swirly Star Leo3s are not beefy at all, so I'll reiterate the HL Leo3 as my recommendation. There's a Champion Leo3 that is someone's (Drew Gibson's?) Tour Series disc, so maybe try that and help a tour player out...

I don't know about Leo3's but regular Leos are really straight in premium plastic. They take some beating in to fly decidedly understable. They're great once they get there, though the glide is never going to compare to the more naturally US Pro or DX Leos. TLs are great to beat to death too.

GStar Leo and Leo3 are the way to go! I have two Gstar Leopard's, one a little more beat than the other. 170-172.

Bah! How are there two of the exact same threads going on simultaneously, same
OP, with the same people replying and all???

I digress. You'd find a lot of options branching away from Innova, also. Patriots my current US control. But, markets flooded with them. Can't go wrong.

Bah! How are there two of the exact same threads going on simultaneously, same
OP, with the same people replying and all???

I digress. You'd find a lot of options branching away from Innova, also. Patriots my current US control. But, markets flooded with them. Can't go wrong.

I accidentally double posted while trying to edit to add the last sentence. Figured that people would ignore one or the other, especially since there were several replies on one and none on the other for awhile, but eventually the second one got replies, too.

And it wouldn't let me edit one of the posts to blank because I missed the 5-minute window by the time I realized it double-posted.

Sorry!

I accidentally double posted while trying to edit to add the last sentence. Figured that people would ignore one or the other, especially since there were several replies on one and none on the other for awhile, but eventually the second one got replies, too.

And it wouldn't let me edit one of the posts to blank because I missed the 5-minute window by the time I realized it double-posted.

Sorry!

Hey, it's all good! Ish happens. It's just silly cuz posters round these parts are typically quick to point these things out.
Hopefully at least one (or both) of the threads are helpful to you! Cheers

Latest posts