• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Understable Forehand Midrange

g* Wedge (max weight) for flicks
champ Panther, 165 150 under
champ Super Stingray, 166, 200 ft under
Des Reading Super Stingray, 180, 200 ft under

I just pulled out my DX Wolf today and threw with it in the open.
Hmm. I say.
Going to check it out some more.

Meteor is my favorite sidearm understable midrange. Esp is very understable but still easy to flick.

Fuse, Evidence, Meteor, Claymore, Tursas, Theory are all what came to mind quickly. Evidence and Claymore I think are gonna be the flattest and most beadless.

So I've been looking for a an understable midrange to work on forehand hyzerflips with. Ideally it would be flat topped,beadless and lower speed. Comfortable to grip and easy to get clean releases with. Does a disc that meets all these criteria even exist?

I've tried a 400g M4 and it feels great but it is way more stable than I anticipated. More of a neutral disc then understable for me. Thrown on a hyzer it will actually hold the hyzer. It will fight out of anhyzer angles and is fairly torque resistant.

I was contemplating a prodiscus stari but it is super hard to find any information on them. Infinite has them listed as 5/4/-2/1, marshal street has it rated at 4/4/-2/0 and prodiscus has it listed as 6/4/-1/1. Which leads me to believe that this is a more neutral higher speed mid similar to the m4. Does anyone here have experience with this disc?

The first disc I was able to forehand with reliability was the Mako3 (a Star Mako3, but Champion works well, also), and it meets your criteria. So that's my first suggestion.

Also, the Panther works well for me as a forehand midrange. But I'm biased towards Panthers. ;)

The first disc I was able to forehand with reliability was the Mako3 (a Star Mako3, but Champion works well, also), and it meets your criteria. So that's my first suggestion.

Also, the Panther works well for me as a forehand midrange. But I'm biased towards Panthers. ;)

After a couple years of not having my champ panther in the bag, I finally put it back in. I now run Pursuit, Matrix, Panther for kids and my game has gotten much better for mixing the bag up a bit. I can flick all three with no problem but when I want dead straight with zero fade I always grab the panther.

The question really depends how far you can throw a forehand... And want to throw this disc. I use a few pro D zones for all my comfortable forehands up to 300 feet. The one I use the most has been in that perfect hyzerflip to straight or hyzerflip to turnover slot for over a year and doesn't plan on ever getting flippier. Zones come out very well forehand and are pretty fast, almost midrange speed in my mind.

After the Pro D zone I move up to a 400 f3 for up to 325. That covers basically all holes that go straight and have any right finish for me (RH).

I know no one likes the pro D but it works really well for this slot.

I do not have a forehand other then for putting and I do not have an understable midrange. If I were to use a disc for a forehand option, I would use a Glide being the slightly understable replacement for the Impact a good forehand option that I have seen used well as a forehand disc, the Impact that is. I use the Impact as my dead straight shot for backhand and the Glide seems to be the Impact when looking at the disc online. I would have bought the Glide if it came in ESP plastic or even Big Z as I do not like that small a rim to be in a less gripping type plastic.

The question really depends how far you can throw a forehand... And want to throw this disc. I use a few pro D zones for all my comfortable forehands up to 300 feet. The one I use the most has been in that perfect hyzerflip to straight or hyzerflip to turnover slot for over a year and doesn't plan on ever getting flippier. Zones come out very well forehand and are pretty fast, almost midrange speed in my mind.

After the Pro D zone I move up to a 400 f3 for up to 325. That covers basically all holes that go straight and have any right finish for me (RH).

I know no one likes the pro D but it works really well for this slot.

I would use a Pro D Zone for an approach shot/windy day putter seeing as how they do not make a regular X in the putter, it will be soft X as all Discraft putters are and I would want a regular X for an approach shot as Jawbreaker plastic seems to work best for putting then have an ESP Zone for a driving putter this is if I did not use a slow putter like midrange mold (Shark) I use for an approach shot as well as for a windy day putter and as the driving putter slot.

I like flicking my Mf Roc3 a lot. I know it has a bead, I hated it at first. I really wanted to minimalize though so I touched it out for a week. After that I was hooked. It's my go to fill up to strait or turnover fh disc. Before that I used a millennium QMS thought which is beadless, usually flat, and has a strait to US flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mostly want this disc for practicing forehand hyzer flips and to use as a learning tool for my forehand. The only actual shot I would probably use it for is for tight fairway hyzer flips in the 200'-250' range. Maybe shorter standstill RHBH turnover as well. Really want something that I can power down on and still flip up to flat for those shorter shots.

I mostly want this disc for practicing forehand hyzer flips and to use as a learning tool for my forehand. The only actual shot I would probably use it for is for tight fairway hyzer flips in the 200'-250' range. Maybe shorter standstill RHBH turnover as well. Really want something that I can power down on and still flip up to flat for those shorter shots.

You want the Stari then. It will do that with clean form.
It's beadless and a dead flat top as a bonus.

Stingray

I noticed you got a Relay. I use it a fair amount as a understable mid on powered down shots both FH and BH. Give it a shot at this. Great for actual course use, but if you're just working on FH hyzerflip form it's not the disc for that, too intuitive and the gyro will hide form flaws. Better off with any putter or Buzzz type disc.

Try either a Mako3 or a Discmania MD. They're both beadless and generally flat. I use a C-Line (Champion) MD for the shots you're describing. Though it's not something I use often. I pretty much only flick my MD for get out of trouble shots (mostly in the woods). I highly recommend the Star Mako3. Most of them are flat or very close to it. The Stars seem to start out more on the understable side of the spectrum than the Champs. Plus they beat up quicker than Champ, if it's not flippy enough for you out the box.

Favorite Understable Midrange

I actually have begun to love the Fuse by Latitude 64. It claims to be stable on the disc, but glides right for me pretty easily when thrown flat with RHBH.

If you need even less stable, the is always the Discraft Archer. It is really understable and will really turn right with a RHBH.