• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unforced errors

Some people don't make the distinction. In which case, they could still contribute to the topic positively by commenting on errors rather than getting hung up on the word "unforced."

I've been thinking about a post that Blake or Beato posted a bit ago about how he thinks that the mental part of the game is the toughest part. I've been thinking about some mistakes that I make, and I'm beginning to realize that some of them are mental.

The easiest example being an awkward stance upshot shot, (usually pinned on the left side of a fairway, trying to throw way across my body) 70-80% power needed, and I end up yanking it when I try to crush it.

Or even as simple as trying to lace a driver on a tight wooded hole simply because someone else in the group hit the gap. I know I should throw a Buzzz or a TL, but I pull out something fast trying to one-up them.

Jerking straddle putts because I feel like it won't get there, thinking about my form instead of the target, trying a tighter hyzer route just because I don't want to throw something straight and risk missing the easy shot, throwing an overstable disc on a hyzer when I should throw it flat, etc. etc. etc.

Or even as simple as trying to lace a driver on a tight wooded hole simply because someone else in the group hit the gap. I know I should throw a Buzzz or a TL, but I pull out something fast trying to one-up them.

Best quote I've heard that sums this up:

"Playing someone else's game is the fastest way to tank you own."

BTW, good stuff everyone.

I try to allow myself for three errors in a round. A local player got me started on it and I like it quite a bit. Keeps me focused on my game and prevents me from doing some stupid things. Like chipping out into the fairway rather then going for it when you get buried. My errors can range from dinging a 30 footer off the front of the basket, hitting a tree right in front of me on an up shot. leaving an easy up too short to give my self a reasonable putt, etc. I don't worry about drives that get messed up, unless it's an egregious error. Chaining out isn't an error because I gave it a run. Hitting a tree from 150+ away isn't an error because that's difficult to control. Unless the hole is wide open and that was the only tree to avoid, which would be an error. I give myself some room for error, but try to minimize it as much as possible.

My best rounds that I've posted haven't always been the amazing ones where I'm driving great or putting great, they're the rounds that I minimize mistakes and hit a long putt or two with a couple nice park jobs.

I try to allow myself for three errors in a round.

What happens when you reach your limit of three? Does it change your game? Do you play aggressive until you get to three and then play conservative? I'm confused as to how shooting for an arbitrary number like three can help.

Why not shoot for zero? You certainly can't expect to have an error free round, but that should always be the goal.

What happens when you reach your limit of three? Does it change your game? Do you play aggressive until you get to three and then play conservative? I'm confused as to how shooting for an arbitrary number like three can help.

Why not shoot for zero? You certainly can't expect to have an error free round, but that should always be the goal.

I just try to play smarter. More conservative I guess, instead of going for the hole in one shot, I'll disc down and lay up for an easier up shot. I don't completely stop playing aggressive, but I become more aware of my choices. The number three is probably just a mental things. Like three strikes, now play smart. "I don't have any more errors left, so I better slow down and thread this drive through that window" etc.

Disc golf, 90% mental 10% physical. At least this is what it feels like for me sometimes.

i would say just keep playing the more you play the better you will get. also try to get out and play with people better then you, 1. because you can watch and learn, and 2. they can give you helpful tips along the way(you have to be humble and except the criticism). i also think putting and upshots is where the game is at. putting because that is where you build your confidence, and upshot because you need to get in that range to keep the confidence. last thing play each hole and don't worry what happened on the last, enjoy the round and your little flaws will improve. oh and depending on what course i play 3-4 slip ups(unless it's ERP then who knows).

So I had an epiphany. I've had an unforced error. It was when KC and 2 of his traveling buddies let me play through on #10 at Cedar Hill a few weeks back. I allowed myself to get nervous because of who was there and smacked an early tree with my drive. Funny thing is, once I finished the round, I went back to #10 to play the back 9 again. Some guy was at the bottom of the hill with his cart waving me through.(*hint, hint*) I teed off and threw one 340' or so pure down the hill and landed in great shape for my 2nd shot. As I get to my drive... Barry Schultz is at the bottom of the hill and gives me the nod of approval. Didn't know him from Adam from the tee, so it never got in my head. Not sure how I'm going to work on this, but it's good to know.

Unforced error = stuff in your own head holding you back.

...unless it's ERP then who knows.

I've started playing ERP twice a week. Of the courses in Atlanta, that seems to be the one that will either force you to learn your lines or make you quit. I played a putter round there from the blacks yesterday. My errors came on 6 (drive,) 8 (approach,) and 16 (approach.)

Interestingly enough, the fact that my errors at ERP are most frequently on those holes prompted me to start this thread. 8 and 16 are arguably the hardest holes on the course, so it makes sense that I'd have more errant shots there. But on 6, I think I'm going for too much off the drive.

Hegemony,

The topic you've brought up has probably been the single biggest improvement in my game, especially in regards to consistency. So much of this game is about eliminating mistakes. I classify mistakes in two ways: Execution mistakes and Judgement mistakes. The later can be both disc selection and/or route/shot selection. The focus here is knowing what your discs do and making solid decisions regarding risk. Execution mistakes are when you know what you want to throw and how you want to throw it(hyzer, thumber, etc.) but botch the throw. If you had to do it over again you'd do the same thing.

Like always, I've heard putting mentioned a good bit in this thread but it follows all reason that throwing mistakes will get you into far more trouble than putting, although I would consider a 3 putt to be a judgement mistake. I am a firm believer than you can be a solid par golfer or a slightly under par golfer without being able to putt outside of 15ft consistently. Its all about accuracy and judgement with your throws. One tip I would give any non-pro level player in regards to strategy/risk management . . . Nevermind birdies, Avoid Bogies! Obviously, on most holes you will be throwing off the tee trying to get a look at a birdie but if it doesnt pan out well, you hit a tree, you come up short, etc. forget about the birdie and make the smart choice, lay up and take a 3. How many of us have run at the basket from further than we should only to blow past it and get a 4. Or taken the tight window route at the basket instead of the easy par route. Most people would be surprised what would happen to their scores if they disciplined themselves to this strategy. Play for pars and take the birds when they are handed to you.

I would encourage you to record your scores throughout the round and make notes of the kinds of mistakes you're making. Otherwise, you wont know how or what to practice.