• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

unique baskets / odd baskets

CIMG0172.jpg

Now that's a basket you can grill in!

You should note that the opening (basket rim to chain holder) is the same as a Mach 3. The width of the top is very close to a Mach 3. The basket is a lot narrower as you can tell. The chains are the same length as a Lightning DB-5. This version has 18 chains (I think, I'd have to go to the garage to check), the original had 20 or 24 but were of lighter chains. The heavier and fewer chain version catches much better.

That's an interesting tidbit of information. Thanks for sharing.

Major kudos on your ingenious design. :clap: If the 3rd generation basket ever comes to light, please show us the final product.

So dude, you've been a member of this site since 2008... where ya been? What other cool stuff do you have hidden up your sleeve?

So dude, you've been a member of this site since 2008... where ya been? What other cool stuff do you have hidden up your sleeve?

I hang out with the other Iowa Slackers at IowaDG.com. I mainly use this site to track the courses I've played and troll a few threads from time to time, but post minimally.

When I first joined I wrote a review or 2, but to write a review that I feel is solid is very time consuming (I'm very anal retentive). So only really review courses that I visit on road trips or courses that are off the beaten path that have no or few reviews.

I enjoy this site immensely .... lots of creative and intriguing folks on here.

When I first joined I wrote a review or 2, but to write a review that I feel is solid is very time consuming (I'm very anal retentive). So only really review courses that I visit on road trips or courses that are off the beaten path that have no or few reviews.

It shows in your work. I mean that as a compliment.

Well, I hope we get to see more of your contributions in the future.

If I may make a suggestion... considering the weak material that you have to work with on those grills, how about welding a metal "ring" around the inside of the lid? This ring would better be described as a band. This band would then have the eyelets from which you could hang the chains. For optimal strength, you could run a bead along the entire perimeter of the band. This would then spread the stress from the weight of the chains, as well as the sudden impact from discs hitting the chains, to the entire bead rather than a few weld points. This would also maintain the exterior integrity of the grill so that it looks like it's just a grill.

If I may make a suggestion... considering the weak material that you have to work with on those grills, how about welding a metal "ring" around the inside of the lid? This ring would better be described as a band. This band would then have the eyelets from which you could hang the chains. For optimal strength, you could run a bead along the entire perimeter of the band. This would then spread the stress from the weight of the chains, as well as the sudden impact from discs hitting the chains, to the entire bead rather than a few weld points. This would also maintain the exterior integrity of the grill so that it looks like it's just a grill.

That is a great idea in theory, but when it comes down to it weight is the biggest enemy. One thing you have to consider is that all the weight of the top is on the center pole (thus the need for the internal supports, in version 2), adding a ring and that much material / welds could potentially make it worse. Plus the time to weld and grind all that would be lofty. The solution to drill and bolt the chains on has worked wonders as far as a time, ease, and strength standpoint go. One thing I could have done is used some bondo to keep the external grill integrity more intact. I had to use Bondo on this version to fill a couple of rust holes; I guess while at it I could have covered the bolt heads with bondo and sanded to a smooth even finish to conceal them. Food for thought for next time.

The only major improvement, other than being able to use it as a grill, is to add supports on the bottom much like I did for the top. On the original, the top was very flimsy, the supports really eliminated that. It however has shifted all the energy to the bottom of the pole where is connects to the bottom of the grill. It's attached via two thin plates welded to the pole, sandwiching the bottom of the grill. They are then welded to the gill and ground down to a smooth finish (very well hidden). These plates are stronger than just welding the pole to the grill (ala Version 1) but they still offer too much play. Version 3, if there is one, will have supports on the lower as well. The question is where to put them. For external esthetics one would say the inside like the upper. That however does 2 things, gives you more things to scuff a disc on in the "basket", more things in the way to keep it from being a grill, and it also keeps the energy on the junk material of the grill. The other option is to attach them to the pole and the legs on the external side of the gill; adds strength, and frees up the "Basket" for grilling and catching, but it further harms the external integrity of the grill ....... what to do??

Sorry for the long (Anal) reply ....... can you tell I've had 4 years to think about how to improve it :D

CIMG0172.jpg

Now that's a basket you can grill in!

that's awesome. Is it yours?
I have a second weber kettle grill that I never use and may do something like this with.

Edit -- Nevermind, I just read the rest of the page.

That is a great idea in theory, but when it comes down to it weight is the biggest enemy. One thing you have to consider is that all the weight of the top is on the center pole (thus the need for the internal supports, in version 2), adding a ring and that much material / welds could potentially make it worse. Plus the time to weld and grind all that would be lofty. The solution to drill and bolt the chains on has worked wonders as far as a time, ease, and strength standpoint go. One thing I could have done is used some bondo to keep the external grill integrity more intact. I had to use Bondo on this version to fill a couple of rust holes; I guess while at it I could have covered the bolt heads with bondo and sanded to a smooth even finish to conceal them. Food for thought for next time.

The only major improvement, other than being able to use it as a grill, is to add supports on the bottom much like I did for the top. On the original, the top was very flimsy, the supports really eliminated that. It however has shifted all the energy to the bottom of the pole where is connects to the bottom of the grill. It's attached via two thin plates welded to the pole, sandwiching the bottom of the grill. They are then welded to the gill and ground down to a smooth finish (very well hidden). These plates are stronger than just welding the pole to the grill (ala Version 1) but they still offer too much play. Version 3, if there is one, will have supports on the lower as well. The question is where to put them. For external esthetics one would say the inside like the upper. That however does 2 things, gives you more things to scuff a disc on in the "basket", more things in the way to keep it from being a grill, and it also keeps the energy on the junk material of the grill. The other option is to attach them to the pole and the legs on the external side of the gill; adds strength, and frees up the "Basket" for grilling and catching, but it further harms the external integrity of the grill ....... what to do??

Sorry for the long (Anal) reply ....... can you tell I've had 4 years to think about how to improve it :D

Yeah, you've definitely put some thought into this basket. I see what you're saying and you bring to light things that are not obvious to me since I'm not a welder and not really all that familiar with those types of grills.

As far as exterior aesthetics go though, don't get me wrong, I'm totally diggin' the look of version 2. Having the bolt heads shown so prominently on the top gives it a tough Monster Garage look.

I played the course at Kamp Modoc DGC in Modoc, IN over this past weekend. They had one basket hanging from a tree, and another basket behind a 15' wide X 10' Tall wood wall with a 2'X3' hole cut into it that you had to throw through to get it into the basket. It was pretty cheesy, but it made it a little more interesting I guess.

I saw one of these at the IDGC the other day, and it was awesome. It had the heartiest chain arrangement of any target I've ever seen. It looked like cut thrus and spit outs just wouldn't happen. The guy at the pro shop said it's probably the only one in the US. I'd love to have one in my back yard.

korg1.jpg

Latitude 64 basket. It has some fit and finish issues the way they do the inner rings but it does catch well.

Here's another pic. I wish I had taken a gozillion pics of it, Google ain't helping much. I really liked the triple chain arrangement, and the way it was done.

698211492_ddbac087c3.jpg

The guy at the IDGC (I wish I could remember his name, Jason, maybe) said that they would probably be $600 or $700 with the exchange rate, import duties, customs, etc. He seemed to indicate that they weren't available here in the US. It did look awesome, though. If I was a rich man I would have made an offer he couldn't refuse for it.

just making sure it was not a future candidate for the portable basket thread, it's a little more than $200 :)
(yes I know it is not a portable)

Hi-View Basket

Just off the assembly line the 2011 Pine Basket. Same great lodgepole and pondersosa pine tenon jointed construction. New chain design for better catching. She will soon be delivered to her permanent home at The Hi-View Disc Golf Course in Sphinx Park/Pine Colorado.

Attachments

• IMG_2759.jpg
    IMG_2759.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 87
Just off the assembly line the 2011 Pine Basket. Same great lodgepole and pondersosa pine tenon jointed construction. New chain design for better catching. She will soon be delivered to her permanent home at The Hi-View Disc Golf Course in Sphinx Park/Pine Colorado.

Beautiful! The chains were the only drawback to its forebears. Keep making these gems.

Where exactly is the Hi-View course? Never heard of it.

What was the drawback on the chains? Always looking for input on how to improve the design/catching ability of my baskets! As for Hi-View it's another one of these private courses we have here in the area. It's run by a very friendly local who has been part of the disc golf scene here in Colorado for a long time. If your in the area contact me and I'm sure we can get you a round there or talk to Paulie at Phantom Falls. The courses are real close, a farther drive around the mountain than walk over the top. That would make a great day of disc.

Latest posts