• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

United States disc golf championships

Is pay per view at US dgc a good idea or not?

• Total voters
IMO Innova is probably not just straight up trying to maximize income from the one event but trying to feel out where the market is today without losing money on it. USDGC has historically had a large component of experimentation attached to it and this seems like more of it to me.

I agree with this 100%. It was either $20 last year for live or $30 if you wanted live and condensed coverage and this year's $25 fell right between the two. I believe it was only $10 in 2019, more of a proof of concept that people would pay for coverage.

I agree with 3P also, they've sunk tons of money into this event over the years and I don't perceive the ppv as a blatant cash grab. More like using any means to help recoup some of that money. Prop up the event solely on your own as more prestigious than World's and then use that as a basis to ask people to pay in order to view your event.

It'll definitely be an interesting dynamic the next few years with DGPT, DGN, the tournaments themselves, and post production companies. I personally still think the plan behind DGN is to grow it as fast as possible over the next few years and sell it to an actual big time media company.

I agree with this 100%. It was either $20 last year for live or $30 if you wanted live and condensed coverage and this year's $25 fell right between the two. I believe it was only $10 in 2019, more of a proof of concept that people would pay for coverage.

I agree with 3P also, they've sunk tons of money into this event over the years and I don't perceive the ppv as a blatant cash grab. More like using any means to help recoup some of that money. Prop up the event solely on your own as more prestigious than World's and then use that as a basis to ask people to pay in order to view your event.

It'll definitely be an interesting dynamic the next few years with DGPT, DGN, the tournaments themselves, and post production companies. I personally still think the plan behind DGN is to grow it as fast as possible over the next few years and sell it to an actual big time media company.
Who set the price point? Innova or DGN? My assumption was that the price point was set by DGN, after DGN purchased the right to run it as a PPV from Innova. But, obviously: ass, u, me.

Who set the price point? Innova or DGN? My assumption was that the price point was set by DGN, after DGN purchased the right to run it as a PPV from Innova. But, obviously: ass, u, me.

I'm going to doubt that DGN bought the rights. If so, they would have just offered it as part of the DGN package. I think they've even made statements to the effect that their preference would be to do so (could be wrong though).

Everything I've seen suggests that Innova and DGN saw it as a partnership that made sense, with DGN having built experience in live casting disc golf events and Innova wanting to make use of that., rather than having to organize a single event live cast PPV.

$25 for the live coverage seems reasonable to me BUT many of us don't care to watch live coverage. They really dropped the ball by not offering a post production only option at a reduced rate ($5-10).

I read somewhere that in one of the rounds, on hole 18, near the basked, Dickerson had a putt or approach shot that took a bad roll and went OB down the hill to the lake. If this is true, can someone please give details? I'm especially interested to know if it was a putt that bounced off the basket and cost him. Any confirmation and information would be appreciated.

I read somewhere that in one of the rounds, on hole 18, near the basked, Dickerson had a putt or approach shot that took a bad roll and went OB down the hill to the lake. If this is true, can someone please give details? I'm especially interested to know if it was a putt that bounced off the basket and cost him. Any confirmation and information would be appreciated.

I was about to go hunting for a vid but then i remembered... Thx Innova.:mad::D

According to udisc he took birdie 3 in each of the first 3 rds and then in the 4th round he took an OB on 18 but threw in for par from 60'ish. It only has 1 putt listed and its emboldened.

So it looks to me like his approach shot went OB around the green somewhere and then he canned the putt.

Last edited:

Posts 330 and 331 talk about it pretty well.

Mid range drive around the corner that landed near the basket. It almost slid to a stop and took a crappy little bounce, stood up, flipped around, turned, flopped, flipped, trickled, rolled, turned, rolled, turned, rolled, turned, rolled all the way down the hill and into the lake. Very unfortunate and unlucky.

Mid range drive around the corner that landed near the basket. It almost slid to a stop and took a crappy little bounce, stood up, flipped around, turned, flopped, flipped, trickled, rolled, turned, rolled, turned, rolled, turned, rolled all the way down the hill and into the lake. Very unfortunate and unlucky.

One of the most ridiculous roll always ever.

And yes, you should watch for it. If you have DGN, they are allowing viewing the footage after 30 days.

PS: he was already out though. He might have had 4th place if not for the roll away.

Last edited:

It also maniacally rolled around the landscaping logs that hold the basket up. If it'd rolled a few inches to the right, it would have hit those logs and stopped.

That was a bad break for Chris. We've aim to have the Arena reward quality throws and punish indecisive and mediocre throws. Chris' shot was neither indecisive nor mediocre. The features that we have installed below the target on 18 are designed to protect the hillside and minimize roll aways, and yet, they did not quite work this time. We need to do a better job of removing the mulch that has over time slidden down the hill and reduced the effective height of the roll-away barriers.

In a similar vein to improve the results of quality throws, some of the OB posts in front of the greens on 9, 10 and 12 will be replaced by whiskers next year. The posts stopped some quality throws that would have otherwise come to rest safe.

I watched the ESPN2 broadcast when it on Sunday 11/14. The first 40? minutes of the 2 hours was spent reviewing the DGPT events from throughout the year. The rest of the time was spent on the Championship itself however they didn't do shot by shot commentary like is done for other tournaments. Instead they showed important shots, both good and bad with a narrator talking about the shots. They also did short little side stories of the players and short interviews with the players about how they felt at certain points/shots in the tournament.

If you would have asked me beforehand if this type of presentation would work I would have said "No", but honestly it was really, really good. :clap:

I learned way more about Nathan Queen, Missy Gannon and the other players than I would have with normal tournament coverage. :clap: :clap:

I watched the ESPN2 broadcast when it on Sunday 11/14. The first 40? minutes of the 2 hours was spent reviewing the DGPT events from throughout the year. The rest of the time was spent on the Championship itself however they didn't do shot by shot commentary like is done for other tournaments. Instead they showed important shots, both good and bad with a narrator talking about the shots. They also did short little side stories of the players and short interviews with the players about how they felt at certain points/shots in the tournament.

If you would have asked me beforehand if this type of presentation would work I would have said "No", but honestly it was really, really good. :clap:

I learned way more about Nathan Queen, Missy Gannon and the other players than I would have with normal tournament coverage. :clap: :clap:

That was the DGPT final, not the USDGC, right?

Serious question

Back to the topic of USDGC... I wrote a professional complaint letter in response to their email blast apology. While I never got an individual reply back, they sent me the $20 coupon code... I then noticed a couple weeks later that my paypal purchase for the event was actually refunded in FULL. This was more than satisfactory for me and I will definitely purchase their package next year in some capacity.

*Sidenote learning how to write a professional complaint letter is definitely one of the best things I got out of my college education. It's come in handy a surprising amount lately.

Back to the topic of USDGC... I wrote a professional complaint letter in response to their email blast apology. While I never got an individual reply back, they sent me the $20 coupon code... I then noticed a couple weeks later that my paypal purchase for the event was actually refunded in FULL. This was more than satisfactory for me and I will definitely purchase their package next year in some capacity.

*Sidenote learning how to write a professional complaint letter is definitely one of the best things I got out of my college education. It's come in handy a surprising amount lately.

Got any tips? Perhaps we can learn from what you have learned.

Latest posts