• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

United States disc golf championships

Is pay per view at US dgc a good idea or not?

• Total voters
I've got a question. On hole 12, the caddy book says that any OB plays from previous lie or dropzone in the middle of the fairway. Would it be legal to just drop your disc off the back of the tee pad where it is OB and proceed to the dropzone? For the women, if someone doubts they could get to the dropzone in 2 strokes, is this a cheat to basically turn the hole into a par 3 from the drop zone? Doesn't seem very right, but it guarantees you a chance at birdie from the drop zone, for the women. Doesn't make sense for the men since it's a par 4.

Too lazy to quote the rule, but the PDGA tweaked the rules so that the player can just advance to that drop zone and doesn't have to go through the charade of dropping the disc OB. I believe this rule was created so players didn't have to lose a disc if they knew they couldn't make a water carry.

I've got a question. On hole 12, the caddy book says that any OB plays from previous lie or dropzone in the middle of the fairway. Would it be legal to just drop your disc off the back of the tee pad where it is OB and proceed to the dropzone? For the women, if someone doubts they could get to the dropzone in 2 strokes, is this a cheat to basically turn the hole into a par 3 from the drop zone? Doesn't seem very right, but it guarantees you a chance at birdie from the drop zone, for the women. Doesn't make sense for the men since it's a par 4.
There's still a penalty added to the stroke you threw when dropping the disc into OB. So, you would move to the DZ already lying 2. If you can't reach the DZ with 2 full throws, then your proposed strategy could make sense.

Too lazy to quote the rule, but the PDGA tweaked the rules so that the player can just advance to that drop zone and doesn't have to go through the charade of dropping the disc OB. I believe this rule was created so players didn't have to lose a disc if they knew they couldn't make a water carry.
Don't believe it's an official rule but PDGA will grant TDs a waiver to allow this in their event.

TDs are allowed to give this option, but are not required to.

Yeah and isnt it only for water carries, not other OB?

I know theres no course record because again this setup in new, but what is the closest approximation? (i.e. original #1, mozzie sticks on #2 #8 and #16)

I guess its a bit moot point too because 13 17 and 18 have A/B baskets that affect the score pretty much.

Paige P with NO OBs!! it´s a shock to see her play safe. . .and it works, hope she can remember that in the future

the rating for Paiges R1 must be HIGH

Last edited:

There was a hole at college nationals a few years ago where there was a drop zone 800+ feet out on a par 5, and there was OB 300 feet behind the pin (or something similar). So everyone off the tee would turn around, throw backward into OB 300+ feet, walk backward to get their disc, then proceed 1,100 feet as if they'd just thrown two perfectly placed 400 foot shots.

A single shot can have some elements of chance involved, but a tournament involving hundreds of shots removes that element. I suggest you take a look at the law of large numbers. Once you wrap your head around that, you'll understand there is no luck involved in an event involving multiple rounds. It's pure and raw skill, 100%..

I won't reiterate Steve's reply, but supposing your thoughts are correct, you are arguing that we should have more luck in DG. I'm okay with luck being a part of it (I don't think we can remove it), but why is more luck better? I'll elaborate more on this in a reply to another post (forthcoming).

I have not been to the course before. For those that have, is there room available to continue to stretch the course out as the players go farther and farther? Perhaps smaller baskets could be an option one day. That would have some players probably have a full scale nuclear meltdown, which would only make it even better.

Yes. They're lengthened the course by 2000+ feet over the years (a very rough guess), and if they wanted to squeeze out more space, there's probably another 2k feet they could get on the current holes by simply moving tees backward or moving pins further. Some of them are fairly locked in (1, 3, 5ish, 6, 18), but some would allow moving either the tee or pin almost 100 feet (2's tee, 4s basket, 7s tee, we all know about 9, 11's tee and pin, 13's pin, 14's pin, 15 either)

Paige P with NO OBs!! it´s a shock to see her play safe. . .and it works, hope she can remember that in the future

the rating for Paiges R1 must be HIGH
The only woman in the field to go OB free in R1.
Likely no official ratings produced in this event (XA tier). Unofficially at 1027 but "boosted" with a few hundred OB penalties thrown by the other women in the field.

Ryan, I don't see it as unique to disc golf. Other sports I watch, have nearly-identical plays with different results, both from lucky/unlucky incidents, and from plays on the edge of borders.

I agree with what you said, but not necessarily with what you're (potentially) implying.

It seems that you're implying we shouldn't change. I don't think we need to change. But I do think it'd be great if designers could figure out a way to design a course in which there was a very smooth curve of bad/worse/worst shots are punished somewhat/normally/harshly. I wouldn't want all courses to be this way; it's great to get a lucky break, and some of the best rounds of my life have involved many lucky breaks. Additionally, I don't think there's anyway to get rid of all luck in DG, and nor do I want to. I simply think it'd be great to have a smoother punishment curve on some courses.

Lastly, bigger picture: I was illustrating to OMD that ropes are no different with luck than the obstacles he's arguing we should replace them with. He's arguing that we shouldn't use X because it is deficient, but we should replace it with Y (even though Y has the same deficiency).

about the time you posted this.
The DGN interface absolutely sucks on iPad. I still can't pull it up.

Edit: I had to go into my account, then View Product. Just found it by trial & error.

Last edited:
Hell you could argue that since they shortened Worlds from 8 rounds + final 9 to 5 rounds that Ricky, Barsby and James have been the benefit. On old format of 8+ rounds, Paul comes back (higher rating) and beats all of them, and is a 9 time consecutive and current world champ.

Maybe Ricky wins in 17, he looked really solid that year, but if I had to bet, I'd bet on Paul beating both Barsby and James if there are 3 more rounds.

You can't argue the pressure and knowing it's the final round wouldn't be a factor though. The guys who have won know how to win, have the confidence to do so again.

I'm sure a part of Jerm wishes a 4th round went on, yet part of him is just happy to win also after the shortened event.

I don't think top tier events should be shortened. We can make exceptions for at least something called a Major. Come back the next day and play.

The DGN interface absolutely sucks on iPad. I still can't pull it up.

Edit: I had to go into my account, then View Product. Just found it by trial & error.

Yeah DGN sent out an email with instructions. That made me think it was in some obscure place that people would have trouble with.

Latest posts