• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unity's Bag

Going back out to the course and field today to give the P-PD (apparently I lost my stable one) and S-PDs another shot. Just thinking about it made me decide to test them out today. The set up will be:

[4] Ion
[1] Rhyno
[3] Buzzz
[5] PDs (2 Cs, 2 Ss, 1 P)
[4] Destroyers

What are PDs?

Discmania Power Drivers...also known as Freaks do to the stamps that are on some of them. Its a Firebird rim on a special top used for a couple Discmania drivers. They fly differently based on what plastic they are. The cover every thing from overstable to understable for me.

Wow 4 Ions?
Yep. I've got three black ones for putting and putting practice and one white one for driving.

Planning for post-Xmas orders. My complete/tourney bag will be as follows:

[4] Ion
[1] Rhyno
[1] Fuse
[3] Buzzz
[6] PD (2 Cs, 2 Ss, 2 Ps)
[4] Destroyers

However, for the remainder of winter I'll be throwing with this setup:

[2] Ion
[1] Fuse (when it gets in)
[2] Buzzz
[2] PD (1 C, 1 S)

I find the Fuse to be a great Buzzz compliment, go with an Opto if you find the GL too touchy. Too me, the best understable Buzzz that won't wear out too quickly is a beat ESP one, so consider that if the Fuse doesn't do it for you.

Ditch the Rhyno, an ESP Zone is a WAY better overstable driving putter. It's like the Buzzz's overstable little brother with attitude.

Ditch the Rhyno, an ESP Zone is a WAY better overstable driving putter. It's like the Buzzz's overstable little brother with attitude.

The Rhyno isn't really my driving putter at the moment. I'm sticking with my Ion for most of my drives. The only reason I typically use the Rhyno is when I want something to drop like a rock, or its windy as hell. I have thought about trying the ESP Zone, but I'm trying to force myself off of the habit of buying limited runs of plastic (with the exception of the C-PD...they rock). I have a friend that crushes his and it is pretty impressive how far they'll go.

I can't wait to get a Fuse back into my bag. I've really been missing the straight with zero fade since fall. I lost my previous one while warming up before a tournament. :doh:

Last edited:
Well...I suppose its time for another update...

[4] Ion
[1] Rhyno
[1] Fuse
[3] Buzzz
[1] XXX
[4] PD
[4] Destroyer

Yes, lots of duplicates...between backups and multiple stages of wear I don't figure that 18 is too many though. Most of the setup is the same as it has been for the lost several months.

Out of curiosity, why do you throw 2x of the money discs? In case you lose one during a round? Are you just trying to keep them from beating in too fast? Other than that, I like the bag a lot. You have figured out what you like and run with it.

Out of curiosity, why do you throw 2x of the money discs? In case you lose one during a round? Are you just trying to keep them from beating in too fast?

Several reasons, two of which you guessed.

For the Ions, its because I like to carry three for putting practice. The three I putt with are solid black, so I also carry a white one for driving (much easier to find). By keeping all three in my bag they wear evenly and I don't second guess which one I'm grabbing for a putt. Not that the wear from putting is much of an issue, but I prefer to not give my mind a chance to focus on things like that.

For Buzzzes, I have one beat bar stamp and two glows that I carry. The second glow is to keep either one from wearing out too quickly since I generally rely on them being capable of performing when it is too windy for the bar stamp.

For the PDs and Destroyers its for carrying multiple plastics and stages of wear more than anything else. I carry multiple C-PDs for both the reasons you suggested (these are the overstable CFRs, not the production ones).

Also, after playing at the 2011 NCDGC last week, I fully intend on switching from the Rhyno to the Zone. I need an overstable approach disc with more range than the Rhyno since the most overstable mid I carry is a Glo Z Buzzz...I can only power down the XXX and C-PDs so much before it becomes very difficult to control range with. I'll probably pick up an ESP or two before too long...

In addition to that, I'll be reevaluating my infatuation with Destroyers after playing in that wicked wind. I've never had problems in the wind with Star Destroyers before, but with the wind from last week they were unusable in a headwind. I'll probably try out a combo similar to a PD2 with a Flow or something like that.

...and another update...

[4] Ion
[1] Zone
[1] Comet
[1] Vector
[1] XXX
[4] PD
[4] Destroyer

The Comet and Vector are in for trials as replacements to the Buzzz/Fuse combo I have been using. If I can get used to the beads, I think I'll like them...but the Buzzz and Fuse have been good to me in their time, so it'll be a while before I can make a final decision.

how do the P-PD's fly? I currently throw.. 168g worn S-PD, 169g Fresh S-PD and a flat beefy 168g C-PD.. with the C-PD being my overstable driver.. i have yet to throw a P-PD tho

how do the P-PD's fly? I currently throw.. 168g worn S-PD, 169g Fresh S-PD and a flat beefy 168g C-PD.. with the C-PD being my overstable driver.. i have yet to throw a P-PD tho

P-PDs are inconsistent for me. Of the ones I've had, the good ones have been straight as an arrow off of a shallow hyzerflip. The "bad" ones (looking back now, I wish I still had one of them) were more comparable to a Sidewinder than anything else. Comparing my good ones to an S-PD...they wouldn't turn quite as much and wouldn't fade quite as hard. If the S-PD was an Eagle-X, the P-PD was a Teebird.

For quite a while I carried a "bad" P-PD (turnovers), broken in S-PDs (straight/workhorse), and CFR C-PDs (overstable/hyzers). They covered all my shots that I needed from them. The CFR C-PDs were much more stable than the production ones are. Now I'm carrying my CFR C-PDs, a production C-PD (workhorse), a "good" P-PD (straight), and a beat S-PD (turnovers).

If you have the chance to see/feel a P-PD before trying them, I'd look for one that isn't extremely stiff. The stiff ones have always been the understable ones in my experience.

^^thanks for heads up.. the stiff ones actually sound like something i might like.. i do like star sidewinders and it sounds like it could maybe replace my C-TD to drop a mold but yeah i might see i can maybe snag a couple off the marketplace sometime and give em a shot

It may be worth asking somebody with more P-PD experience than I have about what makes them less stable. Of the ones I've owned, my 172g ones have always been stiff/flippy and my 168g ones have always been less stiff and stable...but I bought all my 172g ones at the same time and it could have just been that individual run.

It may be worth asking somebody with more P-PD experience than I have about what makes them less stable. Of the ones I've owned, my 172g ones have always been stiff/flippy and my 168g ones have always been less stiff and stable...but I bought all my 172g ones at the same time and it could have just been that individual run.

compare the parting line height....you may be surprised

Granted I didn't spend a lot of time comparing them, but I put them down next to each other and there didn't seem to be a big difference. I also don't have any of the 172g ones anymore so I cannot compare again.

The Comet and Vector are in for trials as replacements to the Buzzz/Fuse combo I have been using. If I can get used to the beads, I think I'll like them...but the Buzzz and Fuse have been good to me in their time, so it'll be a while before I can make a final decision.

Fuse is definitely out for the Comet. It has been a blast to play with. Jury is still out on the Vector...I've been throwing my Comet too much to get a good feel for the comparison between my Vector and my Buzzz.