• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unsung Players

There's a girl in Michigan named Kelsey Brakel? She's rated like 935 and only plays am. If she played pro, she'd spank 'em all. She's so good!

She's currently rated 951 which ties her for 7th place with Ragna Bygde in the World Rankings. (PDGA membership is expired for now)

I'd say that's pretty darn good for someone hardly anybody knows about.

He can correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Mr. Brakel (her father) run tournament and offer cash to ams at 50 cents on the dollar instead of merch, even offering to buy unthrown discs at that rate. She has no monetary reason to play FPO.

...my wife Haleigh is 900 rated, on the high side for the ladies and also stuck to playing against the boys. Though she just had our second kid and wasn't playing to that level before the winter set it.

Hello Texas

Really Giles? You would attempt to tarnish the upstanding and fine Brakel family (be it ever so slightly) by illuminating us to your own situation? Shame Shame.
Quit making everything about YOU. Judging from your naïve commentary and the immense amount of time that you spend on here attempting to convince others that you're not from Texas anymore, I would say you're not worthy to feed the Brakel's dog much less point out their (non-existent) shortcomings. BTW Hello Bruce

i dont play tourneys. i really dont know how good/bad i am outside of my circle of friends

Really Giles? You would attempt to tarnish the upstanding and fine Brakel family (be it ever so slightly) by illuminating us to your own situation? Shame Shame.
Quit making everything about YOU. Judging from your naïve commentary and the immense amount of time that you spend on here attempting to convince others that you're not from Texas anymore, I would say you're not worthy to feed the Brakel's dog much less point out their (non-existent) shortcomings. BTW Hello Bruce

Slow your roll.

I said that because that is what I recall Bruce posting on the PDGA boards back in the day. I said, correct me if I'm wrong, as I might be wrong.
Ignore me if I bother you.

I think that a lot of people who have been playing this sport for a minute realize that they don't need other people to validate their skills. All you need is a disc and some free time. Why encumber yourself with the restrictions that come along with organized play? A one hour round instantly transformed to 3 1/2 hours and 1/10th the amount of golf so that you can listen to the latest drama? No Thank You
I quit playing tourneys after I had to separate 2 guys from a fist fight. To each his own, I guess.

I hear stories like this and I marvel at how after playing over 100 sanctioned and non sanctioned tournaments in 8 years I've never even heard if anything like that happening, much less experienced it myself.

There's a fireman in town that is absolutely addicted to disc golf. He sponsored #9 at Watson(and aced it he'd want you to know). He drives up in a firetruck and makes his fellow firemen play. He might never play a tourney, and yes he carries just the one disc(Z Nuke), but he has a forehand that rivals a major leaguers swing. leaguers is a word and Les the fireman gets my vote for unheralded hero of disc golf.

We've got a fair amount of expats, contractors and military personnel here in Korea who are amazing players, but don't really compete seeing as how leagues and tourneys are few and far between on the peninsula. In some cases, they even have PDGA numbers, but just don't get to play sanctioned events.

The three that come to mind are Conor Montague (Mr. Butlertron here on DGCR), Curtis Miller and Jason Di Genarro. Jason and Conor are PDGA members, and would easily be high 900 rated if they played more tournaments in the U.S. Curtis isn't a PDGA member but I've never seen him not rule a course here in Korea. I'd say in the U.S. he could very easily be 950 or higher.

Why do I need to slow my roll Giles? If I say something you don't like, just ignore me.

Because nothing I said was intended to be offensive. I like the idea. Then you pop off on me for whatever reason. Cause I lived in Texas and moved to Colorado?

Slow your roll, you don't like me and are looking for something to get upset about where there is nothing.

Really Matt? you've never experienced any superfluous waiting in a tournament? That's great

Lighten up Francis. I was more referring to the fighting, but since I know what to expect at a tournament, I would not call any of the waiting I experience superfluous, as it's part of the deal.

Why do you seem so pissed off about it? I didn't dis you in any way.

there was a man who I believed to be homeless and living in the park -- he had a bucket with some straps for a bag, and he was never interested in playing through groups, just content to chill at the tee and wait. I think he passed the time before the park gates shut for the night, playing disc golf. my guess from the few times I could really check out his game, is that he could throw 1000-rated golf.

basically a frisbee Lazlo

lazlo.jpg

And then he grew up to be Uncle Rico.

hqdefault.jpg