• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unusal Tips For The Game

Donovan

Longview Disc Golf Association (TX)
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I was talking to a guy I was playing with yesterday and I realized everyone has a little something they do to make their disc golf life better.

We were talking about the small things that cost in this game and he mentioned socks. Yep, white socks never quite look white again. Anyway, I looked down at my feet and his and said, "You should buy and wear black socks like this." It never occurred to him to do that. So there you go.

The other idea I mentioned to him was to carry a regular hardball baseball in your bag for those nasty discs that get stuck high in the trees.

I hope these helped some of you. I would love to hear your ideas, so please share your tips so we can all benefit. Thanks!

the baseball is a good idea. I gotta think about doing that from now on.

I wish i had some good input on something i do, but besides bring sunscreen, and a sharpie, i normally only bring my disc and a ipod.

I keep an old pair of shoes around, I call them pond jumpers. Its easier to search a pond or creek when you don't worry about cutting your feet on a rock or piece of glass.

Along the baseball line, I have a Nalgene water bottle (filled with my drinking water) that I used to knock discs from trees. When Nalgene says their bottles are unbreakable, they mean it.

Wear water hopping shoes on any course that has water, and a swimsuit. Retrieveing discs is not nearly as big a deal. (Retriever still helps tho

I also bring an extra towel that is a cheap white one from the YMCA in case it lands in something icky and I need to discard it at the end of the round. Don't forget the hand sanitizer!!!!

Along the lines of pond jumping shoes, if you do happen to get into a creek or pond with your regular shoes, a run through the washing machine will save them.

Personally, I wear tennis shoes and after a while of playing disc golf, they invariably get pretty funky. Putting them through the washing machine keeps them fresh. Just make sure not to put them though a hot wash. Hot water likes to flatten out the sole, nothing an hour of walking in them wont fix but it should be avoided.

Speaking of shoes, I wear hiking boots. They give me great support on all kinds of terrain.

I also carry a soft ball to get the stuck discs out of a tree. I also carry two towels. One for me, and one to clean off my discs from mud or dirt. I also carry sun screen, pens and sharpies. I also carry extra mini's in case I loose one. I also carry sunglasses in my bag as well as extra score cards and a mini clip board for holding my score card. And a copy of the rule book in case there is a debate about the rules. During the tournament I also carry a camera in case something cool might happen, or to get a pic with the team that I play with.

• I always have a small towel to wipe dirt and/or moisture off my discs.
  • "Wet Ones" or similar wipes will get poison ivy off.
  • sandwich size ziplock bags will keep your score card, wallet, etc. dry if it starts raining.
  • On a course with lots of water I carry a collapsible gizmo with grabber pads that's used to grab cans and stuff from shelves. It's hard to describe, but I guess it's like the tools that people use to grab trash and pick it up.

Smaller than a baseball

I carry several old golf balls that I have found around gisc golf courses. They don't take up much room and are handy for discs stuck in trees.

Collapsible 15-foot Disc Retriever

This is a great quick project I designed to have a collapsible disc retriever.

First you go buy one of these for $10 plus shipping:

http://www.thegolfstoreonline.com/p-456-ball-hook-golf-ball-retriever.aspx

Then you go buy yourself a can of Plasti Dip at any hardware/paint store:

http://www.cornerhardware.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=18394

Simply dip the "ball catcher end" of the retriever in the Plasti-Dip and let it dry completely 3 times. This will not only make a rubbery coating that will stick to a disc better, but it will also make it thicker so it will fit a disc better.

Now you have a 15-foot disc retriever, in a pole that is only like 3.5 feet long. BTW, when holding this in reverse, you can use the handle end to brush away shrubs and weeds while looking for a disk without having to get you hands involved.

At one time, I thought about selling these for about $50 a piece to make money, but to hell with it. You can go make your own. I do know that everyone who has seen mine has asked me where they can get one. So, good luck with this. Let me know how you like it, if you make one.

Water bottle

Along the baseball line, I have a Nalgene water bottle (filled with my drinking water) that I used to knock discs from trees. When Nalgene says their bottles are unbreakable, they mean it.

I have found out the hard way that the water that I brought to drink in standard bottle from store WILL break when attempting this :eek:

Trash Collector

I always try to carry a couple of the plastic bags from the grocery store and tie it to the side of the bag to pick up trash. I hate it when people are unwilling to carry out what they brought in:mad:

Dry Bag

I carry a dry bag in my bag.
When it starts to look like it might rain, I put my wallet and cell phone in it. This way, rain doesn't ruin anything.

Inexpensive ones can be found at wal-mart, 3 for $9.00 in three sizes. I bought mine at Cabelas before I knew this and paid $9.00 a piece for them.

Ziploc Snack bags are perfect for temporarily waterproofing your cell phone. And if you have a candybar style phone, i.e. not a "flip-phone", you can still use the phone while it's in the bag.

ERic

I keep a gatorade bottle of fine dust/dirt in my car, and on humid days, I throw it in my bag and use it on my hands/disc to maintain grip... anytime I'm near a great patch of dry dust/dirt I can just refill it. Great, cheap, simple "birdie-bag" effect, and you can use your favorite home-course dirt anywhere in the country. Take the home course with you. :)

I keep a bottle of Absorbine Jr. in my bag in case i get into any itch weed and it keeps the bugs away. Also i will carry a manual weed wacker to look for discs (if you've never seen one they are similar to a sickle and really help to clear out the long grass and weeds)

Speaking of shoes, I wear hiking boots. They give me great support on all kinds of terrain.

I also carry a soft ball to get the stuck discs out of a tree. I also carry two towels. One for me, and one to clean off my discs from mud or dirt. I also carry sun screen, pens and sharpies. I also carry extra mini's in case I loose one. I also carry sunglasses in my bag as well as extra score cards and a mini clip board for holding my score card. And a copy of the rule book in case there is a debate about the rules. During the tournament I also carry a camera in case something cool might happen, or to get a pic with the team that I play with.

Where do you keep your discs? Sounds like you are carrying an extra 20 lbs or so!

I carry a spider monkey and a roll of toilet paper. One for getting stuck discs out of trees and one because it's no fun holding in diarhea for 17 holes.