• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Up and Coming Good Reviewers

Reviews get more votes these days with the majority coming from the same 10-15 people.

Look at my my reviews, all 400+. There are dozens and dozens of reviews written 5-10 years ago that have 6 or less positive votes. Of the last 20 reviews I've written (practice courses excluded), only 2 have less than 10 positive votes.

One counter point is of there are less reviews being written, reviews have a longer shelf life on the main page. That generates more chances for votes as well.

Here's another example of the thumbs-up inflation. DSCJNKY (diamond TR, 600+ played courses) wrote a review for Warriors Path in Kingsport TN in 2009. He has received 4 votes in 12 years. Par Hunter (15 played courses) wrote a review for the same course earlier today. He has 10 positive votes.

I also might add that we have way fewer poor reviewers writing these days as well. We used to have a fair bit of guys with 6 played and 4 reviews that were no better than Udisc blurbs in some cases.

These days it feels like half of what I read could come from a theoretical disc golf guide book. Or it's at least pretty funny.

I also might add that we have way fewer poor reviewers writing these days as well. We used to have a fair bit of guys with 6 played and 4 reviews that were no better than Udisc blurbs in some cases.

These days it feels like half of what I read could come from a theoretical disc golf guide book. Or it's at least pretty funny.

You said it yourself. All those poorly written non-reviews are all on UDisc these days.

Here's another example of the thumbs-up inflation. DSCJNKY (diamond TR, 600+ played courses) wrote a review for Warriors Path in Kingsport TN in 2009. He has received 4 votes in 12 years. Par Hunter (15 played courses) wrote a review for the same course earlier today. He has 10 positive votes.

Some of this is related to the number of members. In 2010, there were about 10,000 members. Now we are approaching 100,000 members. So, if we have 5-10 times as many members today, it would make some mathematical sense that we would have 5-10 times as many votes on reviews. There are obviously a lot of other variables, but I think the increase in the members here has a lot to do with the increased vote totals.

Some of this is related to the number of members. In 2010, there were about 10,000 members. Now we are approaching 100,000 members. So, if we have 5-10 times as many members today, it would make some mathematical sense that we would have 5-10 times as many votes on reviews. There are obviously a lot of other variables, but I think the increase in the members here has a lot to do with the increased vote totals.

Just because the numbers have grown, doesn't mean the number of active members has grown nearly that much. Once someone joins, that #goes up, even if they never log in again.

I'd be willing to bet a very sizeable chunk of those 100K haven't logged on in years.

boy, did you get that right!

You said it yourself. All those poorly written non-reviews are all on UDisc these days.
The reviews on Udisc are just the worst! And Udisc makes it very easy to remove reviews locals don't like when someone doesn't gush that its the worlds greatest course, blah blah blah.
I saw a 3.0 given for a long, and extremely hilly course. Most people had given it 4s, 4.5s and a lot of fanboys gave it 5s. (I gave it a 4.5 on here.) I don't rate the courses on that app.

I wish Timg could add the technology that Udisc offers but I think with Udisc being funded in part by the PDGA (accurate enough?) it might be a real uphill battle for DGCR. But I'd kick in a nice chunk of change if that would help the cause.

Just a heads up for those looking to achieve TR Gold status. The uniques have been upped to 90 (per timg). FAQ has been updated to reflect this.

Last edited:
Hoping to get across to the UK and play a couple next summer. Seems like their scene has grown a lot since I first started following.

Nice reviews Jillian!

seven straight nice reviews from new or newer different reviewers on the main page this morning.

special call out to Kirbahashi as I've played a couple of their recent reviews and the info in the review regarding the course is just like I remember. I hope to see some more from all these reviewers.

Hoping to get across to the UK and play a couple next summer. Seems like their scene has grown a lot since I first started following.

If you do, make sure to hit me up! I can normally get out to play at courses around the Midlands outside of school holiday times.

If you do, make sure to hit me up! I can normally get out to play at courses around the Midlands outside of school holiday times.

Would love to! If the travel restrictions stay lifted, I'm aiming for late summer 2022. I'll DM you when it starts looking real lol.

Username – Reviews – Thumbs-Up Total – TR Level
• (MEDAL) indicates TR level attained after 3.17.21

NOVICE
acrosley – 8 – 66
autocrosscrx – 10 – 79
CIDG – 10 – 64
damtroll – 10 - 74
Dave242 – 276 – 1953
disc.golf.chic - 1 – 7
DrunkenSailor – 7 – 25
gatoremt – 6 – 19
golfdawg221 – 5 – 37
HelloPoodles – 10 - 49
IdahoTory – 6 – 43
KevinYepez – 1 – 14
Kirbahashi – 4 -21
Mason Jackson – 2 – 17
Mhageman4 – 41 – 93
Par_Daddy – 4 – 36
Par Hunter – 11 – 87
ranchdip – 1 – 12
sandford – 11 – 47
tackettbr – 4 – 24
tru-11 – 7 – 111

BRONZE
Ad166809 – 24 – 136 – Bronze
bikinjack – 23 – 261 – Bronze
Cujo – 28 – 198 – Bronze
dad_of_dg_junkies – 22 – 131 – Bronze
eric_vdberg – 40 – 171 – Bronze
FlyingSouthDG – 25 – 131 – Bronze
Jillian – 10 – 116 – (BRONZE)
Kegelexercise - 25 – 180 – Bronze
leath – 17 – 120 – (BRONZE)
letsgobulls_24 – 18 – 111 – (BRONZE)
Luckj – 21 – 165 (BRONZE)
The Last DJ – 14 – 128 – Bronze
Theskulls – 16 – 153 – (BRONZE)
ThrowBot – 18 – 131 – Bronze
Xelto – 30 – 127 – Bronze

SILVER
aredoubles – 41 – 362 – Silver
DFrah – 74 – 736 – Silver
dino2disc – 32 – 237 – (SILVER)
DumfriesLizzie – 57 – 445 – Silver
goosefraba1 – 32 – 224 – Silver
itsRudy – 42 – 290 – (SILVER)
Jah Plastifari – 29 – 321 – (SILVER)
JuanA – 27 – 292 – (SILVER)
Knobby325 – 159 – 1217 – Silver
kp_1024 – 59 – 521 – Silver
lee76007 - 57 – 611 – (SILVER)
Money_Shot – 35 – 227 – (SILVER)
Monocacy – 29 – 357 – (SILVER)
Mushin No Shin – 66 – 658 – Silver
Nothinbuttree – 30 – 395 – (BRONZE + SILVER)
rd.bittle – 47 – 329 – Silver
SpartanDisc – 26 – 212 – (SILVER)
TRoss886 – 32 – 312 – (BRONZE + SILVER)

GOLD
ReinZ_96 – 47 – 377 (GOLD)
Shadrach3 – 173 – 1900 – (GOLD)
Surge5 – 65 – 703 – (GOLD)
Thrembo – 165 – 1127 – Gold
Tyler J – 59 – 775 – (GOLD)

These three have caught my eye recently with their well written and informative reviews.

Jah Plastifari - Has hit a lot of the Idaho courses.

Shadrach3 - College student out in Colorado is bagging lots of courses.

Throwdo Baggins - Besides a most clever name, I like his well writing style.