• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upgrading from a starter pack

BCalef

Hi. I am just getting into disc golf. I bought the innova disc golf starter pack and am having a lot of fun with it. I have started doing some field work to improve my form and gain some distance and control. I have thrown my leopard over 300ft a few times but I am consistently in the 250-300 distance. I find that I am turning it way over fairly easily and having it cut to the right and sometimes not go very far or accidentally turn it over into a roller when throwing into the wind. Is this because I am putting too much power into the disc or am I just releasing it too flat? Also I am looking into getting some more discs. I am think of getting a new aviar in dx thats heavier than the one i have from the starter pack or a kc pro aviar. From what I have read, putters are very personal with regards to feel so I guess I will know once I try it. I was locking at a dx roc3 for a midrange to complement my shark which I actually quite like, a champion teebird or an eagle to handle throwing into the wind which it appears my leopard can't do, and a valkyrie. I don't think the valkyrie is absolutely necessary but it is fun to try and push the distance. I am working on form and I know I have a few flaws in my backhand like stepping with my plant foot pointing forwards and turning too far backwards in my x-step.

Is it better to just focus on form with the lightweight starter discs or is it worth it to add some new discs to be able to start learning how to throw them and to have more to practice with and can be used in different situations? Is this the right way to progress form technique and learning the different kinds of throws?

I say add discs to the thing not getting above 170 grams in small diameter disc and no more then 175 grams for 180 gram diameter discs. I still try as long as I have been playing, to get discs no more then 172 grams with the small diameter and 176 max for 180 gram midrange discs. However this does not take into account the plastic types for the discs you use, there the rule is 2 grams more then what I say if getting the lowest end plastic from Innova like DX or XT and 1 for next up like Pro or R-Pro .

Hi. I am just getting into disc golf. I bought the innova disc golf starter pack and am having a lot of fun with it. I have started doing some field work to improve my form and gain some distance and control. I have thrown my leopard over 300ft a few times but I am consistently in the 250-300 distance. I find that I am turning it way over fairly easily and having it cut to the right and sometimes not go very far or accidentally turn it over into a roller when throwing into the wind. Is this because I am putting too much power into the disc or am I just releasing it too flat? Also I am looking into getting some more discs. I am think of getting a new aviar in dx thats heavier than the one i have from the starter pack or a kc pro aviar. From what I have read, putters are very personal with regards to feel so I guess I will know once I try it. I was locking at a dx roc3 for a midrange to complement my shark which I actually quite like, a champion teebird or an eagle to handle throwing into the wind which it appears my leopard can't do, and a valkyrie. I don't think the valkyrie is absolutely necessary but it is fun to try and push the distance. I am working on form and I know I have a few flaws in my backhand like stepping with my plant foot pointing forwards and turning too far backwards in my x-step.

Is it better to just focus on form with the lightweight starter discs or is it worth it to add some new discs to be able to start learning how to throw them and to have more to practice with and can be used in different situations? Is this the right way to progress form technique and learning the different kinds of throws?

Im not a form weenie but a Valk is a great driver for easy distance.

Those lightweight DX Leopards that come in the starter pack don't remain useful for too long, and turning it over doesn't automatically indicate bad form. Some new discs won't hurt. All the options you mentioned are pretty good, though a Champion Teebird or Eagle will be a big step up from your current discs. You could even get a DX Teebird or Pro Leopard and they would do better than your current Leopard. And a Valkyrie is always a good option.

I would recommend a Teebird, but keep working with the Leopard as it's a very versatile disc.

If you plan to play a lot, spend a little extra money and buy discs in premium plastic. Star or champion. That said, here are a few molds I'd look at for your power range.

Champion Valk
Champion Roc3
Star or champ Leopard
Champ Sidewinder
Champ Beast
Star or Champ Mako3
Star or Champ Teebird (It'll be overstable at your power range, but good for headwind)

All of those molds are still very throwable for beginners, but will last a long time in premium plastic.

I've never been a fan of DX plastic since my starter pack. I would say turning over the leopard may actually be a sign of decent form, as I'd expect a light DX leopard to flip over. I'd recommend star or champion Teebird and Valkyrie as you were looking at, but that's just me. It's beyond me how some pros throw so much DX plastic.

Yes a heavier putter is also a good idea.

What every else said, but ... before you go all out on premium plastic, make sure you like the Star and Champion plastics. I'm realizing I just don't like the feel and grip of those plastics and I have been weening them out of my bag over time. The RPro type stuff (KC Pro is similar) I really do like. Same thing with GStar.

That's all personal preference, and you can always sell discs that aren't in your personal wheelhouse, but just something to be aware of.

Valkyries are my go to disc suggestion for everyone that wants to upgrade from starter discs.. and just a great disc in general for all skill levels!

On the note Rastav made about how you like the feel of plastic, other companies plastics that appear the same do have different hand feels.
If you like a softer feeling plastic but want to get a longer lasting one, Trilogy (Lat64, Dynamic, and Westside) tend to be softer than their Discraft and Innova counterparts.

Try a champ or star Leopard. I don't have great form but those light dx leopards are worthless imo. They're great in a premium plastic though.

Valkyrie is a good option but don't sleep on a premium Sidewinder. Those things bomb.

I prefer Eagles but Teebirds are great too. You can't go wrong with either one. Easier to find Teebirds though.

:) Thanks for all the advice guys. Since I don't now what plastics I like I think a variety would be best. I am thinking to get the kc pro aviar, dx roc3 (so that I can experience the variety of flight pattern as it wears in and learn some different shots/ get a feel for what i like/ don't like) a star valkyrie and star leopard, and a champ teebird.

I think I like this combination since a champ teebird is supposed to season in from overstable to dead straight after a while and I think this is future proof since I am an athletic, tall, and lanky and I think I have potential to throw 400+ feet with improvements to my form and the right disc based on what I have seen online watching form videos. I should also mention that I do have small hands for my height (6 ft) and the aviar sometimes feels a little deep and I can't get my index finger fully wrapped around the rim of my leopard. Is that a problem with the teebird/valkyrie/avair and are their other discs I should consider? I suspect that I shouldn't be buying any wide diameter discs since they will likely just feel unwieldy in my hand.

:) Thanks for all the advice guys. Since I don't now what plastics I like I think a variety would be best. I am thinking to get the kc pro aviar, dx roc3 (so that I can experience the variety of flight pattern as it wears in and learn some different shots/ get a feel for what i like/ don't like) a star valkyrie and star leopard, and a champ teebird.

I think I like this combination since a champ teebird is supposed to season in from overstable to dead straight after a while and I think this is future proof since I am an athletic, tall, and lanky and I think I have potential to throw 400+ feet with improvements to my form and the right disc based on what I have seen online watching form videos. I should also mention that I do have small hands for my height (6 ft) and the aviar sometimes feels a little deep and I can't get my index finger fully wrapped around the rim of my leopard. Is that a problem with the teebird/valkyrie/avair and are their other discs I should consider? I suspect that I shouldn't be buying any wide diameter discs since they will likely just feel unwieldy in my hand.

Don't sleep on Pro, at least for the Leopard! Until you start throwing a lot farther, you won't get turnovers or good hyzer flips out of Star or Champ Leopards. Pro is way more durable than DX, and flies quite a bit more overstable as well. Probably the same could be said about other molds too, but a Pro Leopard is a winner...

I wouldn't worry about hand size until you get into the speed 11 and up range. Grip is one thing that we all have to "come to grips" with. There are some discs in my bag that I didn't feel too comfortable with, at first, but got them figured out before long. The Comet is one, and most deeper putters fit too. By the way, I bag KC Aviars and think they're great if you like beads. They're good for throwing and putting, and only get better with some wear.

What ever you get, hang on to it. As your form develops, discs you don't like now, could end up becoming your staple disc.
I hated the Teebird when I first started, now I can;t have a bag with out it

I had a bad experience with a champ Valk-way too overstable. I like DX and Pro, haven't thrown the Star enough to decide one way or another.

What ever you get, hang on to it. As your form develops, discs you don't like now, could end up becoming your staple disc.

Yes this is good advice and applies to most discs. I like the idea of the Star Valkyrie as well. It may be too beefy at first to get max distance, but that bit of beef also makes it very useful for forehand shots.

One of the advantages of having many discs is that you start throwing them at different times and learning different shots. Yes, you could just try someone else's Valkyrie, or Teebird, or whatever, but you won't really get acquainted with them unless you have them in your bag for round after round.

I second/third/whatever that statement. I have a closet with about 70 discs. Some I got in tournaments (player's packs), some given to me, some I've bought. They are all ones that I tried and didn't like, tried and they just don't fly as expected (I bag an Escape that I got from someone who dyes discs, love it - I got an Escape as a gift....don't like it, it feels stiff), some I don't have the arm speed for, and some I just don't like the plastic.

I won't get rid of them since tomorrow or another day, they might be the disc I'm looking for.