• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Uplink -Midrange (complete historical records of its awesomeness)

Geez 4 posts in a row haha. Am I the only one so smitten?

Tourney came and went, rough start at -4 for first 9... got paired with a good/cool kid that had the hot score (-7 first round) and helped propel him to 2nd place :D I ended up -20, but it was -25 to win... anyhow...

Banked all my hopes of defending the trophy on the 180 soft uplink, first 9 was rusty. Ran a little more hyzer and got it dialed... it did 75- 80 percent of what it should once I was warm but a bit of a lack in confidence (will it turn or won't it) kinda made me miss the hex for the first time in many months. Coulda used something I could juice a little harder, it seems on unfamiliar ground I got a little too excited to start with. Especially when I was pushing it and I got late turn, but then it worked against me on some of the shorter and touch shots when it just wouldn't turn.

Went crazy, dropped in the SheDyzer 166 uplink, damn thing went too straight 3 times. Leaned on the proton spin.

Got to the main course for the once a year heritage layout, absolutely slayed it with the 180 soft. Hit the gaps, hit the angles and hit some nice late trees that slowed that sucker down for 8' parks.

It's funny but when I throw the uplink more people comment on how "pretty" the shot is. I don't remember ever hearing that as often, it just looks so smooth and people can tell I'm reigning it in. Everyone watches to see how far it will roll or hold on the line.

It reminds me of when I was deadly with a tangent but the uplink is touchier and way longer if you let it get away on you. 180g is freaking awesome though, the carry and control is just a wild balance. I'm hoping the light ones can fill that gap with less juice and better placement. It's really overlapping between uncomfortably long putter range and not quite long enough to fairway. I did get pissed on the last hole and blaze a massive uphill forehand same distance as my relay would have made and right at it.

I did not however save the double bogey.... But man I just love throwing that uplink!
Geeze, put a Comet back in your bag already.

Geez 4 posts in a row haha. Am I the only one so smitten?

Oh, I am in love with the Uplink I have (one of the Gyrapalooza ones I got off a friend). Every time I end up trying to throw a forehand too hard and botch it, I curse myself for not just throwing the Uplink. You can really get it just to just hold turn, basically forever

Between that, the Wave that seems perfect for me, and the Pilots that are taking over my putter slots, I'm probably going to be trying out MVP stuff for most/many of the slots in my bag. Especially because my buddy is exclusively MVP, so it will make it easy.

Oh, I am in love with the Uplink I have (one of the Gyrapalooza ones I got off a friend). Every time I end up trying to throw a forehand too hard and botch it, I curse myself for not just throwing the Uplink. You can really get it just to just hold turn, basically forever

Between that, the Wave that seems perfect for me, and the Pilots that are taking over my putter slots, I'm probably going to be trying out MVP stuff for most/many of the slots in my bag. Especially because my buddy is exclusively MVP, so it will make it easy.

I'm with you about the Uplink and the Wave. Fire me, the Signal fits between them. It's like a faiway-length Uplink flight.

On my 'we hate lefty' holes the Uplink is great for me! (at least the shorter ones)

I actually smashed chains on week on league this year on one of these holes. I have noticed that the Uplink has some fairly specific power requirements to get a nice long turnover. At least for me, not enough snap means it will probably just fade off. I like it in the turnover shot better than the Paradox. I like it better than the Seva or the Comet for these kind of shots too.

So yes, good disc. I'm maybe not quite as infatuated with it as some people around here, but it does a job and does it well.

I'm with you about the Uplink and the Wave. Fire me, the Signal fits between them. It's like a faiway-length Uplink flight.

How much power do you have? Right now I'm kinda wondering whether I even need fairway drivers in the bag.

For a long time I didn't bag anything over an 8 speed, but I've gotten enough arm speed, etc. that DDs give me more max distance now, out to about 300 with a good golf pull (not internet distance), but there is enough variability that I'm probably only counting on getting 270. Putters are reliably about 210 on flat lines.

What I need are mids that are reliably 240 and might stretch farther. I probably need to give the Hex another chance since I've grown to love the Uplink so much. The Uplink I'm throwing for lines, though. So reliable "distance" is more of a secondary concern. The distance I'll get out of it is so determined by the line. Not sure if that makes sense, or it's just the way I make sense of it.

How much power do you have? Right now I'm kinda wondering whether I even need fairway drivers in the bag.

For a long time I didn't bag anything over an 8 speed, but I've gotten enough arm speed, etc. that DDs give me more max distance now, out to about 300 with a good golf pull (not internet distance), but there is enough variability that I'm probably only counting on getting 270. Putters are reliably about 210 on flat lines.

What I need are mids that are reliably 240 and might stretch farther. I probably need to give the Hex another chance since I've grown to love the Uplink so much. The Uplink I'm throwing for lines, though. So reliable "distance" is more of a secondary concern. The distance I'll get out of it is so determined by the line. Not sure if that makes sense, or it's just the way I make sense of it.

When I first started in disc golf I thought that having a speed 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 in the bag offered a large variety in distance and that those would all be useful speeds to have. But as I have grown in the sport I can throw my envy 250-280, my Hex 270-310, my Volts get around 310-360, my zenith and waves are for 350-410 and octane for anything past that. So I have all of these discs for about 200'.

When I had all the odd number speeds (admittedly i had a lot less power) it was like 220, 240, 270, 290, 310, 330. When your distance goes down, the disparity in distances between speeds starts to compact a bit. (110' total disparity)

Bottom line is just make sure you have the discs in your bag to achieve all the throws you need. If all your needs are met jumping from mids to the speed 9+ stuff then go for it. For me, 3, 5, 8, 11 is where I am at now in terms of speed separations. I try to have some pretty clear separations in my bag to reduce indecision on the course.. Having some overlap is fine, having too much leads me to a ton of second guesses and insecurity.

Specifically, maybe the Fission Hex at 178 or 180 to maximize the forward carry.

I'd give the hex another chance, sounds like you own one and that makes it free. :D the hex is solid and straight at 300" it goes far and people with more power turn it like an uplink, not quite as much glide but eats flat power and converts it into glide. Amazing fh mid.. If that doesn't work....

Get a relay. Something bright and under 168g. I love my 155, it might as well be a mid, but it has massive potential as a driver, kinda like the way you "underestimated" the uplink.. Haha it lost a few shots to the uplink for me.. It is the best matched fairway to the uplink. Carves amazing. Turns and glides, hyzer flips. The signal is the paradox equivalent.

Last edited:

I'm a noodle arm - I can push my Waves out to 275' actual.

The thing about the Signal for me is that I'm always surprised to see it's a 6 speed. It gets the same distance (220') as my beat in Breakouts (8 speed). The Signal seems to glide forever. I bag two - my lighter one (158) has a dependable late drift to the right. It's a little flippy, so I also bag a 171g, especially if there's any headwind.

I'm a noodle arm - I can push my Waves out to 275' actual.

The thing about the Signal for me is that I'm always surprised to see it's a 6 speed. It gets the same distance (220') as my beat in Breakouts (8 speed). The Signal seems to glide forever. I bag two - my lighter one (158) has a dependable late drift to the right. It's a little flippy, so I also bag a 171g, especially if there's any headwind.

220 to 275 is certainly a gap that needs coverage. Curious how far your mids and putters go.

The thing for me is that with mids and putters is that I'm never quite sure whether I'll push the mid farther than I'd throw a putter. And then with the drivers, I'm not sure there is really much difference between an 11 speed and an 8 speed.

I really need a stack of waves and a stack of some fairway driver that I throw till I really figure out if there is an overlap. Really hard to figure out without a bunch of throws right in a row.

220 to 275 is certainly a gap that needs coverage. Curious how far your mids and putters go.

The thing for me is that with mids and putters is that I'm never quite sure whether I'll push the mid farther than I'd throw a putter. And then with the drivers, I'm not sure there is really much difference between an 11 speed and an 8 speed.

I really need a stack of waves and a stack of some fairway driver that I throw till I really figure out if there is an overlap. Really hard to figure out without a bunch of throws right in a row.

Sorry - to be a bit more clear, while I can push my Waves out to 275' that's under really perfect conditions; they are more dependably in the 240' - 250' range, playing on actual courses with actual trees. So there isn't that much gap between the Signal and the Wave. Admittedly, my arm speed doesn't get everything that's possible out of any disc - especially the Wave - so I tend to have a lot of distance compression among my discs in each category. So for me, I carry discs based on the shape of the flight. Good examples are my mids and putter/approach:

My "mids' (in quotes, because some would consider speed 6 Signal a mid) are Hex, Mustang, Lobster, Uplink - in order from most to least stable. And they all fall into the same rough range - 180' to 210.' There's a fair amount of overlap, but they all get there with different lines. And my choice is also influenced if there's any wind...they sort of pair up Hex/Mustang and Lobster/Uplink. I sometimes get hung up on trying to simplify/reduce - but I have room in my bag, so I like to leave myself a choice on any given day. I often find one of the choices feels "hot" that day, and I stick with it.

My putter/approach discs are Entropy/Berg/Reko (hard) /Theory - again, in order from most to least stable. They fill in up to where the mids start at about 180'

Howdy comet friends.
Just lost my trusty elite x comet in the lake, tried to jump in after it but couldn't find it.
I posted on Facebook to see if I could find another elite x one, no luck.
I was curious which of the newer comets fly the most similar to the elite x? From what I can tell there are Z, Big Z, ESP, and the new MJ swirly ones. Any advice would be great.

Come to the dark gyro side... :D haha. If you can't find what you need in a light esp then this might be an option haha. The closest contender I have to my old 174-176g elite X's is a soft uplink. I'm throwing a 180g soft and it does a lot of What I love about the elite X, like the potential to turn forever or some flip to flat. Doesn't throw quite the same but I figured I'd try to lead you astray.. They aren't Comets but if you want to hold a line in a hurry and you are used to a heavy X it's a decent out of the box replacement.

In uplink news... my 166 soft has had its dome mellowed out, thru natural tree causes. It has lost its weird extra stability, it's falling in line with the others better. It has retained a touch of extra stability and glide.. Working out to be a nice short shaper, I'm finally getting some touch anhyzer turns rather than Ooops Straight shots, it's keeping its extra LSS for a while longer though it seems.. But it's carving on the front end. I name thee:

Lazer Beam

Haha I have to stop trying to putt with it though or commit to a 50' throw back. I keep trying and it's on track until 5' away and then the collision avoidance software kicks in.. "I'm a Hyzering outta here!"

I'd like to get a heavy soft and get some custom work done... not sure what.. I could use another "Walter- Mark it Zero" on something I throw.. Maybe some more Evil Dead, I dunno. Man I need some new schtick! At least when I wear the soft in it will be having a layover in neutron reg county before continuing to "Flip city"

Anyhow, still smitten enough with the uplink to feel like investing in a custom dye and that says something.. I can't say the same about the new teslas..

Last edited:
Got a neutron uplink today, and it does just what I hope and dream an understable mid should

Holds anhyzer well, turns a reasonable amount on medium power flat throws, doesn't freak out if I forehand it

I think I am finally converted to team Uplink. Been throwing Piwakawaka's for a couple of years, but the Uplink feels much nicer in my small hands (and feels very similar to Paradox through Reactor). The definitive moment came when I piped a couple of tunnels over the weekend (one effectively like throwing through a cave) and the Uplink just hit the lines beautifully and just kept gliding.

I'm throwing the Neutron Soft, but also have a Neutron from the Gyro pack last year. Need to re-investigate that one.

I think I am finally converted to team Uplink. Been throwing Piwakawaka's for a couple of years, but the Uplink feels much nicer in my small hands (and feels very similar to Paradox through Reactor). The definitive moment came when I piped a couple of tunnels over the weekend (one effectively like throwing through a cave) and the Uplink just hit the lines beautifully and just kept gliding.

I'm throwing the Neutron Soft, but also have a Neutron from the Gyro pack last year. Need to re-investigate that one.

Piwakawaka has been on my buy and try cheap list for a while but now you've talked me out of it haha.
The gyropalooza one will become less sta ble quickly but it does some cool stuff. I'm bagging both.

I also connected on a tunnel, but did not cross off an Ace on #3, missed by a foot left and glided way past the pin.

Got out to throw the new Chance team mvp ones, he sent me some 179's neutron soft in pink and orange. Very happy with the bright colours.. I'm going to be making those my main throwers.

The Orange had more dome again, but no excessive stability, bit more than the pink but not as bad as my 166g orange soft.

I absolutely love the heavy soft uplink!!! What a disc!!

I spent about 6 months on the Piwakawaka train. The Strata would really turn and glide for a mile for me, but it was always on the edge of being too flippy. The other plastics were more stable - but I never got the same amount of glide I saw with the Strata. And the Piwak always felt a little big in the hand (very similar to the Comet, in all the good and bad ways).

Then I detoured into Paradox for a while, but they also were too likely to turn and burn.

The Uplinks have pretty much solved that - I just have to avoid getting over on them, and pretty much forcing the things to turn into the ground.

But the sneaky US mid right now is the Lobster, in Apex. When I first tried it out, it really wasn't much different than the Hex or the Mustang. But after a few months of throwing, the disc has gotten a bit less stable, but with a reliable small hook up at the end. It might actually end up being versatile enough to push the Uplink out of the bag...

I spent about 6 months on the Piwakawaka train. The Strata would really turn and glide for a mile for me, but it was always on the edge of being too flippy. The other plastics were more stable - but I never got the same amount of glide I saw with the Strata. And the Piwak always felt a little big in the hand (very similar to the Comet, in all the good and bad ways).

Then I detoured into Paradox for a while, but they also were too likely to turn and burn.

The Uplinks have pretty much solved that - I just have to avoid getting over on them, and pretty much forcing the things to turn into the ground.

But the sneaky US mid right now is the Lobster, in Apex. When I first tried it out, it really wasn't much different than the Hex or the Mustang. But after a few months of throwing, the disc has gotten a bit less stable, but with a reliable small hook up at the end. It might actually end up being versatile enough to push the Uplink out of the bag...

I am still on the fence between the Lobster and the Uplink. It's a really nice discs that starts out just a little more stable than the uplinks which I like because it gives me a longer lifetime of the disc. The gyropalooza uplink I lost last month was getting to a point of being too flippy.

EDIT: I don't want to forget to mention that the uplink is a fantastic disc in every sense...I really love them.

Latest posts