• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper arm to body angle question / thoughts

1a. It means you have either maintained or actually brought the elbow forward so the upper arm angle is greater 90 to the shoulder line.

It's been cold enough here I haven't been out to the field for a bit.
I've been doing my practice sessions by raking leaves, trying for proper weight transfer on each pull. Hoping for a warm day to test it this weekend.

That" lead with the elbow" thing though, I'm wondering if some of us beginners get the wrong image and do it wrong.

Leading with the elbow gives me the image of moving the upper arm relative to the torso. The finish of that motion would be with the elbow pointing at the target as the elbow straightens.

However isn't that way too late for the elbow to straighten? Does it really straighten when the upper arm has moved to 90 degrees to the target line, because the shoulder turn has brought it to that point?

Thanks, that one of Avery is very helpful.

If I'm watching it correctly (not having an overhead angle) his arm straightens out when it is pointing about 45 degrees left of target line. At that time it looks like his shoulders are pointing about 30 degrees right of target line, meaning the angle of upper arm to shoulder has opened slightly.

I'm going to defer trying to follow that trebuchet discussion until evening and a couple of beers. No way I'm understanding that one on coffee alone.