• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

I got an email today with a Refresh Code so I could get a new Pinch. I was told UPD isn't currently using the tickets on the support system so an email is more effective in contacting the company.

I'll keep you all posted on the purchase. It sounds like UPD will start preorders for new Rebels soon so keep an eye out if you're in the market for a new bag.

It's funny, back in early April I really wanted a Rebel but it didn't look likely that we'd be getting new ones anytime soon. So I decided instead to get a BX2 via the Ledgestone Player's Pack, which is to be delivered in late August.

But with the way things seem to be picking up in the UP camp, we may have the Rebel v5 before my BX2 even arrives.

I got my new Pinch today! The shipping was very quick once my Refresh Code came through. I would totally get a new Rebel but my V3 is still in great shape. Glad to see UPD back in the game.

I got my new Pinch today! The shipping was very quick once my Refresh Code came through. I would totally get a new Rebel but my V3 is still in great shape. Glad to see UPD back in the game.

That is nice to hear, I do like the design of the bags. If I could have found one I wanted in 2018 I would have gotten it. Bag was when I tried the thing on in a store in 2014, the best bag I ever used, however at the time I was not needing a new disc golf bag and when I was, they were sold out of that model in 2018 but only that model I wanted to use for my Vertex angler Backpack's seat. I might get that one bag for my seat someday when my current bag fails. It seems like the bag model I am currently using is not coming back into production again, be it just due to the Corona Virus or permanently.

My Rebel V2 has been tearing at one of the shoulder straps. The seam where the right backpack strap attaches to the bag on top has been coming apart slowly, starting about a year and a half ago. I got the bag in the middle of 2015, and it's seen hundreds of rounds. I'm amazed how well the strap is still working and how slowly the stitching is coming undone, when it started tearing I was sure I only had a few more rounds with the bag. Somehow it's still going strong and at least half the strap is attached. The build quality is STRONG with this one. Whenever the strap finally gives out I'll have to refresh to the V5. Since it started tearing I've probably played at least 50 rounds.

20+ months with my Rebel and it's like new. None of the stitching shows any signs of stress whatsoever. Really refreshing when any product nowadays shows this kind of craftsmanship and quality. I love everything about this bag.
Hundreds of rounds played now. It gets dirty from being placed on the ground a lot, other than that it's like new. I'm not just satisfied with this bag, I'm kind of amazed. I don't think I'll need another bag ever.

I agree with all the praise for the Rebel (V4, 1+ year here). The only thing I haven't figured out is the lowest disc pocket of the three verticals. Pictures show 2-3 discs in there, but for me they always get hung up against the tops of the discs in the main compartment. Does anyone else have this issue? If love to know how other Rebel owners set up their bags.

For me it's:
Top pocket: 2 (putter, approach)
Middle pocket: 1 - 2 (mid)
Lowest pocket: 0 - 1 (approach)
Main compartment: 15ish

The only thing I haven't figured out is the lowest disc pocket of the three verticals.

I used a Rebel for a couple years before I changed to a Shift and I had the same setup as you. After a year of using the third pocket I got tired of it interfering with the main compartment and just went ahead and used a couple strips of velcro to hold it shut. Just used the two top pockets (4 discs) and the main compartment (16-18 discs).

Loved the Rebel, it was like new condition when I gave it to a friend. It did a great job and was pretty comfortable . . . but man o man, the Shift is so much *more* comfortable. Can't be beat if you can live with fewer discs.

I agree with all the praise for the Rebel (V4, 1+ year here). The only thing I haven't figured out is the lowest disc pocket of the three verticals. Pictures show 2-3 discs in there, but for me they always get hung up against the tops of the discs in the main compartment. Does anyone else have this issue? If love to know how other Rebel owners set up their bags.

For me it's:
I completely forgot this was a complaint of mine when I first got my Rebel. I've gotten so used to it that I had to go check just now to confirm it's actually still happening. It helped when I removed the divider, and I only carry 11 discs in the main compartment, so they stand less upright. Also I'm in the habit of firmly jamming my discs back into that lower pocket so they don't get stuck. I don't notice an issue anymore. My setup:
Top: 1 putter
Middle: 3 distance drivers
Bottom: 3 fairway drivers
Main: 11 drivers, mids & putters

If people report this is greatly improved with the v5, I might use that as an excuse to upgrade just to have a sweet new bag. But honestly it's not something I even think about anymore.

I used a Rebel for a couple years before I changed to a Shift and I had the same setup as you. After a year of using the third pocket I got tired of it interfering with the main compartment and just went ahead and used a couple strips of velcro to hold it shut. Just used the two top pockets (4 discs) and the main compartment (16-18 discs).

Loved the Rebel, it was like new condition when I gave it to a friend. It did a great job and was pretty comfortable . . . but man o man, the Shift is so much *more* comfortable. Can't be beat if you can live with fewer discs.

I completely forgot this was a complaint of mine when I first got my Rebel. I've gotten so used to it that I had to go check just now to confirm it's actually still happening. It helped when I removed the divider, and I only carry 11 discs in the main compartment, so they stand less upright. Also I'm in the habit of firmly jamming my discs back into that lower pocket so they don't get stuck. I don't notice an issue anymore. My setup:
Top: 1 putter
Middle: 3 distance drivers
Bottom: 3 fairway drivers
Main: 11 drivers, mids & putters

If people report this is greatly improved with the v5, I might use that as an excuse to upgrade just to have a sweet new bag. But honestly it's not something I even think about anymore.

This issue is going to be completely eliminated with v5. The new design is going to have only 2 upper pockets instead of 3. But the 2 new pockets will be larger and will hold slightly more, maybe 3-4 discs each. So the 2 pockets should hold a similar overall amount of discs compared to the old 3 pockets, but also sit higher and interfere less with the main compartment.

The mini slot and side pockets are also going to be larger, and there will be a scorecard/phone sleeve on the inside wall on each side. The new design looks pretty cool and I plan on preordering as soon as it becomes available.

Upperparkdesigns Instagram page has a video walking through the design changes.

This issue is going to be completely eliminated with v5. The new design is going to have only 2 upper pockets instead of 3. But the 2 new pockets will be larger and will hold slightly more, maybe 3-4 discs each. So the 2 pockets should hold a similar overall amount of discs compared to the old 3 pockets, but also sit higher and interfere less with the main compartment.

The mini slot and side pockets are also going to be larger, and there will be a scorecard/phone sleeve on the inside wall on each side. The new design looks pretty cool and I plan on preordering as soon as it becomes available.

Upperparkdesigns Instagram page has a video walking through the design changes.
Well damn. I'm perfectly happy with my v4 and probably will never need another bag, but I know I'm going to order a v5 as soon as they're available. I know myself well enough not to even try fighting it.

What I learned...

10 days later it arrived broken in half, folded in a tiny box :wall:

Been in touch with their Customer Service, supposedly a new unbroken V2 Pinch is on its way.

Saturday July 25th, not here. Hope for Monday. Not stoked.

Link to thread with 0 replies:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137040

If you have lots of patience, and can wait almost 30 days to receive your UPD

order, go for it. I got unlucky and got a mispacked, broken order.It appears that certain

companies use others to fulfill their orders, and can take longer than most are used to

waiting. I have read that orders got lost, or were never received, but got refunded.

Some just gave up! Jon at UPD is as helpful as a very busy person can be. Good luck.

For me it's:

I've seen this complaint a lot, but never had the issue myself. I carry 2 putters/mids in each of the slots and have 12-15 discs in the main compartment. I have the dividers in the main compartment, and tend to have the middle partition emptiest so the discs lean over a bit. I didn't plan it that way, but it's always worked for me. My one qualm with the vertical slots, particularly the top one, is that it can be a little finicky trying to just take one disc out at a time. But I've pretty much gotten used to it by now.

My Rebel V2 has been tearing at one of the shoulder straps. The seam where the right backpack strap attaches to the bag on top has been coming apart slowly, starting about a year and a half ago. I got the bag in the middle of 2015, and it's seen hundreds of rounds. I'm amazed how well the strap is still working and how slowly the stitching is coming undone, when it started tearing I was sure I only had a few more rounds with the bag. Somehow it's still going strong and at least half the strap is attached. The build quality is STRONG with this one. Whenever the strap finally gives out I'll have to refresh to the V5. Since it started tearing I've probably played at least 50 rounds.
Same thing happened with my V2 Shift. Got a replacement and then had a seamstress fix the strap before giving it to my son.

Big announcement on their Facebook page.

For folks that aren't on Facebook -

Ok folks, BIG news!
We're thrilled to announce that Upper Park Designs has been acquired by an investment and advisory firm to fuel the business unlike ever before.
Jon, one of the original founders, has joined forces with new co-owners Martin and Jim who bring deep resources, strong business experience, and a passion for disc golf.
Together we're going to take Upper Park to the next level!
So what changes?
- Updated bags, new features, new designs, more colors!
- Plenty of in-stock bags and accessories coming in December/early 2021
- Dedicated customer support
- Sponsorships for players and events in 2021
- Some surprise announcements coming soon!
What won't change is our core focus on unique styles, innovative designs, and unmatched comfort when creating the best disc golf bags and accessories. Also our dedication to our customers, standing behind our products and ensuring through programs like Refresh, that once you join, you always feel a part of the Upper Park family.
You can read more on our about page https://upperparkdesigns.com/pages/about
We hope you're as excited as we are!

And a press release on their site -

PRESS RELEASE

New York, NY, September 15th, 2020
Upper Park Designs acquired and positioned for rapid growth

Small Cap Ventures, a New York boutique investment and advisory firm, today announced that it has acquired substantially all of the assets of Upper Park Designs, a leader in the disc golf bags and accessories market. The company will continue to operate under the Upper Park Designs brand.

"Upper Park Designs has an 8-year track record of success, driven by innovative design and a strong brand reputation," said Martin Bispels, co-owner of Small Cap Ventures who now serves as CEO for Upper Park Designs. "We look forward to building on that success through rapid market expansion in this fast-growing sport."

"The Small Cap Ventures team bring deep resources, strong business experience, and a passion for disc golf," said Jon Richardson, previous owner and now Head of Product Development for Upper Park Designs. "Together we will take Upper Park Designs to the next level."

About Upper Park Designs LLC
Since 2011 Upper Park Designs has focused on unique styles, innovative designs, and unmatched comfort. We believe the best designs should be as versatile as the people using them. We use cutting edge design techniques and durable, outdoor materials to bring our creations to life. From your average casual player to professionals, our products are designed for all types of play. We are active members of the disc golf community and join our industry partners in promoting this incredible sport.

About Small Cap Ventures LLC
Combining deep investment and operating expertise, Small Cap Ventures LLC is a boutique investment and advisory firm focused on the acquisition and ongoing operations of innovative brands. Small Cap Ventures is owned by Jim Harvey, a seasoned portfolio manager in the international small cap space, and Martin Bispels, a veteran CPG business executive.

Great news for Jon Richardson and the future of Upper Park Designs. I was beginning to get worried the end was nigh.

Haha I have to say I was beginning to worry myself. I woke up one morning with the realization that even if the Rebel v5 pre orders were successful, I was still sold out of the Shift, Pinch, Trainer, Draw, and Focus. Me trickling one bag out after the next was no way to treat the customers who have come to love the different designs. It was that morning I began to search for someone with the same vision and deeper pockets.

I couldn't be more excited having Martin and Jim on board. The brand is not changing, we're just getting better in every way.

Thank you all!

Latest posts