• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

I have used the inner mesh pockets, but only for things that I rarely need: rule book, spare minis. I don't think it will be a big deal if those pockets are gone. The outer mesh pockets on my current Shift are showing a little wear, so I'm looking forward to picking up one of the new black-with-red-zippers models when they're ready.

Bungee removed from flap
Second zipper added to flap so the flap pocket can be accessed when the flap is tucked in or zipped up (think double ended pocket)
Inner mesh pockets removed
Pen slip added inside mini disc pocket

:popcorn:

Highlighting the feature changes I have comments about:

1. I never used or saw a use for the bungee, so I took it off myself :thmbup:

2. Definite plus to have access to that pocket while the flap is tucked in. :thmbup:

3. :confused: I actually use those pockets a lot - extra scorecards, rule book, snacks (candy/granola bars). Not stoked that they won't be in there for next version. Mesh pockets behind the vertical storage doesn't make a lot of sense to me - probably harder to access :confused: The only time I've seen warping from using those inner pockets is due to forcing a disc in there with the outside pockets already crammed full.

4. As long as the pen slip is deep enough that only like the very end of the pencil sticks out, I'm good with it. Typically mine stays on the clipboard but would be handy if I didn't have it for whatever reason.

Last edited:
I've owned a couple of UPD rebel's in my time(sold to friends that didn't want to break the bank on a new bag). The one thing that I've always wanted to see in the Rebel(shift as well), is to be able to fully zip off the flap of the bag and so I can store it in one of the pockets.

I've owned a couple of UPD rebel's in my time(sold to friends that didn't want to break the bank on a new bag). The one thing that I've always wanted to see in the Rebel(shift as well), is to be able to fully zip off the flap of the bag and so I can store it in one of the pockets.

Yes. I have never used that flap on any bag I've had, and never will. I thought about just cutting mine off, but i just can't make myself damage the bag.

Good question. This was a tough decision. The main reason being that because the inner mesh pockets back the outer discs with nothing but material in-between, I've had some customers deal with warping and dents. There really should be padding on that wall. It also adds to the complexity and labor in building the bag. As I'm trying to keep the price as close to ~$120 as possible, removing them seemed like a way to even out the other changes.

If it remains a major missing feature of the v6, we can always add it back on the v7! I'm hoping the new mesh pocket on the back wall will be a good spot to move those loose items. Unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem if you're used to storing discs in those inner pockets.

Good explanation

I think I can live without those pockets. I was mostly using it to keep my phone safe from accidentally falling out but there's other ways to take care of that.

I've been going over 3 years with my Shift and while it's showing some wear its still going strong. My thoughts about the proposed changes:

Inner pockets - I use mine all the time, it's where I keep my wallet and occasionally a couple other small/flat things. I think the new placement of the pocket will work just fine for that though.

Bungee removal and second zipper for flap pocket - these don't really do anything for me. For me (and I think many others) the flap is not useful for me 99% of the time. It looks nice when its all zipped up but I've never had an occasion that warranted it being zipped up. I suppose if I were riding a bus with it or something I'd want to zip it closed but otherwise I don't have much use for it. Like others have mentioned, being able to remove it would be a more useful feature, IMO.

Pen slip in mini pocket - that's nice but I personally have been perfectly happy with the pencil pockets on the front of the bag.

Besides the flap, there's only one design feature--or lack of--that I'd like to see improved. I'd like to have some sort of "go pocket" available to use, i.e., an easy access pocket that you can put things in while on the move and fish them out easily. On other bags, the second bottle holder usually works well for this. Or like on the Rebel, the side pockets are pretty easy to access, both inside and out. But the Shift doesn't really have an equivalent. The main storage holds a decent amount, but its easy to lose something in the depths. The waist pockets are nice to have, but I really only find them convenient for items you don't have to access often (I keep my rain fly there, for example). I can sometimes wedge things into the mini pocket, but that's not always a reliable solution.

I'm not sure where such a pocket would go since the bag is really efficient about its use of space, but it's something to think about. Maybe a dedicated pocket/partition inside the main storage where the (possibly removable?) flap ends up getting tucked?

In any case, there's my $.02. Thanks for making such great products and seeking user feedback, UPD. I have the Shift and the Rebel, and they're easily my favorite bags I've ever owned.

Bungee removal and second zipper for flap pocket - these don't really do anything for me..

I'm not sure where such a pocket would go since the bag is really efficient about its use of space, but it's something to think about.

This is the problem. The bag was constructed so well from the base to do exactly what it does, that there is no good spot to add extra storage. The second zipper on the flap does not solve this problem as well as I'd like, but it converts a spot for storage that has been useless while the flap was tucked in.

It's an ongoing process. In an idea world, where cost was not a factor, the walls would be padded and there would be multiple pockets lining the inside left and right walls to separate various items. $200 Shift anyone?

Shift deluxe does not sound bad at all. Limited run maybe. I'm sure build cost is a factor when not getting many made at a time. Nice idea though for sure

I live about 2 miles from my closest course by bike, so I can definitely see zipping the bag up when I'm riding there. That being said, I don't mind having a tuckable cover either.

$200 Shift anyone?

Sure, as long as it makes my back feel better than my Grip. My only spot of hesitation is knowing where I'll safely put my keys/wallet/phone. The design of the Shift just looks too cool for me to pass up. I like the idea of the weight being centralized and compact.

I finally bought myself a rebel from UPD online. We had an international (Canada) shipping snafu, and Jon at UPD was incredible in his communication and his efforts to make sure I was taken care of. I am super impressed with his attitude and his customer service.

Buy with confidence from these guys. I can not wait to get it out on the course.

I'm sure it has been asked, but does anyone know when there will be more Shifts for sale? Been waiting to see them pop back up on the site, but it's been a while now and they are still out of stock.

Anyone have one for sale by chance?

I see ypou live in Madison WI which course are you closest to?

Capital Springs

Also, picked up a nearly new rebel v3 this week and I can't say how impressed I am with how well the bag carries, even with 24 discs in it. Much more comfortable than my grip b15 which carries a little less. Now I can sell my grip bag without worry!