• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

Capital Springs

Also, picked up a nearly new rebel v3 this week and I can't say how impressed I am with how well the bag carries, even with 24 discs in it. Much more comfortable than my grip b15 which carries a little less. Now I can sell my grip bag without worry!

I have yet to play that course, I lived in Madison WI area well Middelton from 2-12 in the 1990's though I did not play Disc Golf, Did not even know the sport till 1999 when my Cousin and Uncle Started playing then I was aware but not much, they got me into the sport in 2003 where I live now in Pierre South Dakota on vaction in Winnoa MN when an uncle could not play the game sprained ankle with Hakey Sack thus could not play with the cousin and uncle, he started a year after the two. The Uncle and son my Cousin Played a round with Jim Palmerni, the guy who had one of the longest running Disc Golf Events in the world dating back to 1975 before he stopped running it in the 2000's some time. They 2 uncles and Cousin live about 1 hour from Buffalo NY and close to where Jim Palmerni had run the Canandaiuga Open, the name the tournament American Flying Disc Open had at the time. I think the Uncle even played in the am weekend of the Canandaiuga Open. I have only played with a guy on my card From Rapid City and still living there who is now Sponsored by Latitude 64, Justin Cournoyer, oh and in the same tournament as Kyle Pinkman a former Dynamic Discs sponsored player.

Nice to see the bag working for you the Newest Rebel bag, that it holds more and is more comfortable then a slightly Smaller Grip Bag. Grip Bags seem to be less comfortable then most other brands bags that are the same size.

Last edited:
I'm sure it has been asked, but does anyone know when there will be more Shifts for sale?

It's going to be May.

By the time I had the cash to place an order large enough to get a couple different colors and meet the minimums, Chinese New Year hit and pushed everything back a month. I'm thinking I'll get pre orders situated and opened up by the beginning of April. After all the delays from the last order, I'm hesitant with pre orders. I hate giving you guys a delivery date and missing it. When it comes to shipping and customs, so much is out of my control that I can never be sure what will go wrong.

It's going to be May.

By the time I had the cash to place an order large enough to get a couple different colors and meet the minimums, Chinese New Year hit and pushed everything back a month. I'm thinking I'll get pre orders situated and opened up by the beginning of April. After all the delays from the last order, I'm hesitant with pre orders. I hate giving you guys a delivery date and missing it. When it comes to shipping and customs, so much is out of my control that I can never be sure what will go wrong.

Totally understandable and appreciate the honesty!!! I'll be on the lookout, in the meantime if you come across a line on anyone selling a used one ...... lol.

My loaded Shift V2

Attachments

• DSC_1801.jpg
    DSC_1801.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC_1802.jpg
    DSC_1802.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_1800.jpg
    DSC_1800.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 56
It's going to be May.

Any hints as to the colors you ordered?

I'm still rocking with the UPD Pinch, which I have used every round since September, so a couple tournaments, the worst weather, and a lot of use. It is holding up great! I can easily fit 16 discs in the main pockets, plus two big water bottles, my phone, keys, wallet, mini, and a handful of towels. It is the perfect size and weight for my smaller frame. Highly recommend this bag.

Have had a Pinch since their release, great bag. I'd just like to add that the main compartment is perfectly compatible with the Octothorpe drink holder insert for those players that carry less than full loads

My loaded Shift V2

I had a hard time counting. Looks like around 18-19 in there?

I carry 16-17 in my Grip. I'd like to pick up this year's Shift to get a more comfortable ride on my back. Turning 35 this year and need every advantage I can to conserve energy. Not interested in a cart.....yet. I think the way the Shift keeps everything so centered close to the spine will help a lot.

asc349, where do you keep your towels? That's the one thing I'm not sure about with the Shift. It's so easy for me to keep my used towels in one of the two bottle holders of my Grip.

Last edited:
Stable, I have 20-21 in that photo. 2 are in the bottom of the bag below the bottom sleeve and I can't remember if I had a fourth in the top sleeve or not. 5-6 putters, 4 mids, 10 drivers. Depending on what kind of towels you carry, I use the Innova towels, you can store them in the bottom of the bag. I also have a golden retriever and the rainfly in the bottom.

Each revision John has done to the bag has made it better and more user friendly. A friend of mine has the last version before his latest version coming out now. It is a very comfortable and easy to use bag whether you carry 20 or 10 discs. If you're looking to conserve energy and save your back you can't go wrong with the Shift.

I had a hard time counting. Looks like around 18-19 in there?

I carry 16-17 in my Grip. I'd like to pick up this year's Shift to get a more comfortable ride on my back. Turning 35 this year and need every advantage I can to conserve energy. Not interested in a cart.....yet. I think the way the Shift keeps everything so centered close to the spine will help a lot.

asc349, where do you keep your towels? That's the one thing I'm not sure about with the Shift. It's so easy for me to keep my used towels in one of the two bottle holders of my Grip.

If you have golf Towels I say the bag has a place to clip them on to the bag and from there you have the ability to stuff them behind top outer discs on the current configuration of the bag. https://upperparkdesigns.com/collections/bags/products/thenewshift

Shift is OOP right now but that usually means a newer style is going to come out with this brand, hopefully with the waist belt as it is about the only style I have seen with one on it. Some players who play courses near them that are not really usable with a disc golf cart and want Comfort, a bag that has a belt would be the way to go so they better not remove the belt, again being the only bag I have seen with a waist belt on it.

The Shift isn't OOP. They are having more made. Stop posting misinformation.

I was meaning it is OOP on the site for a bit. I did say it sounds like they are making more possibly a new model of the same bag for this year. I was just saying what was on the site, Out. That is all

I should have said OOS. Out Of Stock. :doh:

I've been using a Shift (picked up one of the v1 special editions from GMC). Such a nice, high-quality, comfortable-to-wear bag. My only complaint is that the main compartment disc slots aren't quite as easy to grab and replace discs as in a standard side-by-side disc carrier. This is somewhat improved by putting in one less disc than it fits. Another observation is that those side slots seem particularly well-suited to mids and putters. If someone doesn't carry 8 mids/putters, then drivers would fit just fine... but mids and putters just fit so perfectly.

Have you guys noticed anything similar? Any tricks to alleviate the remove/replace discs issue? Also, any significant differences in the Shift v2?

I keep my 2 putting putters in the middle slot, 3 throwing putters in the top slot, and 3 fairways in the bottom slot. 2-3 DD in the left and right outside bottom sleeves and 2 mids in each outside top sleeve. Seems to work good for me. If you don't carry that many putters you can almost fit 4 smaller fairways in the top inside slot.

That being said the newest version is the most refined, they just keep getting better.

Has anyone tried out the Draw? I was thinking of grabbing one as a light traveling disc golf bag.

I've been using a Shift (picked up one of the v1 special editions from GMC). Such a nice, high-quality, comfortable-to-wear bag. My only complaint is that the main compartment disc slots aren't quite as easy to grab and replace discs as in a standard side-by-side disc carrier. This is somewhat improved by putting in one less disc than it fits. Another observation is that those side slots seem particularly well-suited to mids and putters. If someone doesn't carry 8 mids/putters, then drivers would fit just fine... but mids and putters just fit so perfectly.

Have you guys noticed anything similar? Any tricks to alleviate the remove/replace discs issue? Also, any significant differences in the Shift v2?

I've had the original Shift v1, then upgraded last year to the newest model v3? v4?

The newer ones are much better!! For one, the cupholder is fixed. Two, it's better mesh on the outside pockets, and the inner quiver has been re-spaced and raised so internal storage is much easier to access. If you put more than 3 discs in the outer pockets, and store them that way (especially in a car or heat) the discs can warp - so watch out for that.

I run my 4 outer pockets like this:

Straight/Slight US Fairway (Seasoned Volt)
OS Fairway (Max weight Amp)

US DD (Vanish)
Straight DD - (Wave)

OS PnA/Mid (VIP Harp/Tensor)
US Mid (Theory/Alias/Vertex)

OS Mid (Clash)
Straight/US Mid (Inspire)

This essentially gives me the 8 most used discs in my bag, right at my fingertips.

Inside, I keep:

Top Quiver - 2 putting putters (Soft & Med Electron Envy)

Middle Quiver - 2 throwing putters (Plasma Envy, Melon Proxy)

Bottom Quiver - Utility discs (Resistor, Octane, throwaway water disc)

I'm an efficiency nut (ops is my game) so to me, what I love most about the Shift is it allows me to set up my bag so that my most used discs are easily grabbed from the outside - in. I rarely go into the inside lower pockets, all the discs I use regularly are on the outside, and upper pockets.

Personally I hate the space I feel like I lose with mids and putters in the side pockets, and since I use those the most I like them in vertical. Plus, it just seems so much easier to get the narrow discs in and out of the sides. I typically have 18 in my shift with no issues. All mids and putters in the vertical storage (8 total, 4 mids and 4 putters) and 3/2 split on each side for drivers.

I've had the original Shift v1, then upgraded last year to the newest model v3? v4?

I run my 4 outer pockets like this:

I'm an efficiency nut (ops is my game) so to me, what I love most about the Shift is it allows me to set up my bag so that my most used discs are easily grabbed from the outside - in. I rarely go into the inside lower pockets, all the discs I use regularly are on the outside, and upper pockets.

Thanks! Next time I watch MJ I'm going to figure out how he does it...

In my standard side-by-side bags I've always been an "organization nut" instead, in other words, high to low speed, with similar speeds organized by overstability. That doesn't make as much sense with the shift. I'll switch things up!

I do love the Shift. Highly recommended to anyone looking for impeccable quality (which I expect will last somewhere close to forever), comfort for any course, and who carries 18 or fewer discs.

I am highly considering buying a Rebel v4 over an Octothorpe, but I wanted to know if there might be a V5 coming around the corner. I know there is the upgrade program, but I can wait 2-3 months for the new one if its coming. I currently use a Sniper, but wanted to upgrade to something withe more disc and non-disc storage, and i like the idea of a rebel over an Octo.