• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

My biggest questions:

Is there a warranty?
Does it support their HydraPak or CamelBak? I only ask because it looks like there is an elastic loop on one strap to hold the mouthpiece. This is not a requirement IMO, only a bonus.
What do the insides of the side pockets look like? Compartments inside, or empty space?

I was told there is a warranty (unsure about how long), but I believe it is limited to normal use and manufacturers defects. They seem confident in their manufacturer to make a top-quality product.

You can use a CamelBak with the Rebel in the side pocket, but there is no other pocket specifically for it. There are two drink holders also.

Insides of the pockets did have some stretch mesh separators if I remember correctly. I don't think you could get a XL thick cotton hoodie in them, but there is a good amount of storage room in the side pockets. Also the main disc compartment has velcro dividers so if you don't fill it with discs you have tons of space.

Thanks for the info Jimbo....does a camelbak reservoir fit inside the Focus or do I have to buy one of the ones they recommend?

As for the warranty....website clearly states it's 10 year on defects.

What's the frame made out of on the rebel?

A metal spine and plastic sheeting on the back is the best way I can describe it. The frame on the Shift is similar. The back padding is very comfortable.

The main bag material is like thin dense foam covered in fabric, almost insulated. I was also told the seams are all waterproof. The water bottle holders for both bags are a rigid plastic piece with insulation covered in fabric.

I was told there is a warranty (unsure about how long), but I believe it is limited to normal use and manufacturers defects. They seem confident in their manufacturer to make a top-quality product.

You can use a CamelBak with the Rebel in the side pocket, but there is no other pocket specifically for it. There are two drink holders also.

Insides of the pockets did have some stretch mesh separators if I remember correctly. I don't think you could get a XL thick cotton hoodie in them, but there is a good amount of storage room in the side pockets. Also the main disc compartment has velcro dividers so if you don't fill it with discs you have tons of space.

Yeah, after I asked they posted the pre-order info and it has a 10 year warranty.

I didn't think it would have a designated spot for a CamelBak, and it's not really necessary anyway. Just wondering.

Facebook comments from Upper Park say "the side pockets hold a sweatshirt."

I like the idea of Hypalon as a bottom material, rainfly looks good (Ergo2-esque), 2 bottle holders, appears to have a narrow frame, feet on the bottom, lightweight, up to 25 disc capacity...
I think this is the one. :thmbup:

So according to the article from before, it sounds like pre-orders are going to be $30 more? So is the price going to eventually be $190?

I believe its 219 + 30 for air delivery/6weeks earlier than other preorders. Or 219 and get them in August.

$220 is kind of steep for this bag. I've owned the Shift (A couple times. Sold my first one and revisited it later.) And while I liked the bag, it's material doesn't match up to the Grip or Voodoo. It's lightweight but not very durable. You could grab used Shifts for $70 or $80 and it was very worth it.

I'm with Mr. Glass. Sub-$200 and it would be a serious contender. As is, trying to compete in the higher premium category, it will sell a bunch I'm sure. But not a volume threat to any major bags out there. Especially not with the mass of new backpacks hitting the market this year.

I believe Upper Park would benefit from setting themselves apart by cultivating the image of being cheaper and still as functional and a great alternative to bags that seem to keep climbing in price. Instead of trying to go toe to toe. But that's just one consumer's opinion. Their bags are made in Vietnam. I'm sure their profit percentage is already plenty deep.

I think if I do decide to try a Rebel, it will be when I can pick one up on the Marketplace or Facebook for $150.

$220 is kind of steep for this bag. I've owned the Shift (A couple times. Sold my first one and revisited it later.) And while I liked the bag, it's material doesn't match up to the Grip or Voodoo. It's lightweight but not very durable. You could grab used Shifts for $70 or $80 and it was very worth it.

I'm with Mr. Glass. Sub-$200 and it would be a serious contender. As is, trying to compete in the higher premium category, it will sell a bunch I'm sure. But not a volume threat to any major bags out there. Especially not with the mass of new backpacks hitting the market this year.

I believe Upper Park would benefit from setting themselves apart by cultivating the image of being cheaper and still as functional and a great alternative to bags that seem to keep climbing in price. Instead of trying to go toe to toe. But that's just one consumer's opinion. Their bags are made in Vietnam. I'm sure their profit percentage is already plenty deep.

I think if I do decide to try a Rebel, it will be when I can pick one up on the Marketplace or Facebook for $150.

I agree with all of this. The design is nice, and it has high capacity and some novel features. But the lower-end materials don't put this in the higher end class. Priced at $175 I think these would sell like mad. We'll see how the response is at $220.

I do recall that Upper Park's initial offerings were more expensive at first, and then later they "slashed" the prices. I am willing to bet they do the same with the Rebel around the holidays.

For those questioning durability I have two Osprey hiking backpacks and they wear like iron. That's hiking through woods with double the weight of a loaded disc golf bag. If they are still providing the fabric for these I would not worry about durability issues. My hiking backpacks have survived thicket and brambles without issues. I'm not saying to run them through a pricker bush on purpose, but for what I've seen on northeastern wooded courses I think they will hold up well. Now to ponder, Shift or Rebel... Tough choice for me.

Looks like a good entry for those looking to carry a bunch of discs for tourneys without the weight. However, does anyone know for sure that this is Osprey materials again? What's the weight difference between this and comparable tourney backpacks?

I'm just going off my experience actually owning Upper Park bags. Not my experience with a company that may be providing materials to them. The stitching was not the best. The material was very light and comfortable, but also not great against thorns and stubborn branches.

I'm just going off my experience actually owning Upper Park bags. Not my experience with a company that may be providing materials to them. The stitching was not the best. The material was very light and comfortable, but also not great against thorns and stubborn branches.

Do you think the new rubber raft material on the bottom and feet will help? Is the stitching an issue or is it minor? I am curious to see how well their bags hold up against normal abuse.

Do you think the new rubber raft material on the bottom and feet will help? Is the stitching an issue or is it minor? I am curious to see how well their bags hold up against normal abuse.

I really liked the truck vinyl on the bottom of my Revo so many years ago. A concern of mine is that this bag is most conveniently used with the flap zipped open and stored. As someone who plays in the NW quite often, I'd prefer to be able to avoid the rain flap and simply leave the normal flap closed during very light sprinkles/rain, but obviously this isn't an option here. On the fence between a 2014 Grip (in orange), this one in orange, or a custom (yup, orange) Ergo 2.

sorry i havent read through this thread but lately been curious about possibly getting a Shift .. or maybe Focus .. any reviews from you guys or negatives you have come across?