• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

Saw on their Facebook page that they had 4 blue focus bags left... So I hurried up and bought one. I'll be receiving it while I am out in California for a month! So excited to use this!!

Rather disappointed with the Focus, and I guess my biggest complaint is that it does not have a top handle in which you can grab it and carry it when you just do not feel like slinging it back on your back. Sometimes it feels like it is more inconvenient considering how few discs it carries than it is worth.

I tried to make a video of me using and throwing with it the other day, but the video did not come out well enough to see it in action.

For the record I have the Focus with the 2L pack. It was fully loaded and I had five discs stowed when I threw. It was a 390 hole in which I go all out on it. I lost maybe 10 feet off my average and a little more right than I would like, but it did not overtly affect my throw. I did, however, feel it shift on me during my follow through and it felt unnatural to feel that weight shift to say the least. It might have felt less cumbersome if I had not had the water pack in. In all fairness, though, it is not advertised to be worn while maximum distance driving.

As for putting and easy approaches, it did not affect my balance or throw whatsoever. However, this leads into the greatest weakness of the bag. Why do you need to have it on you while you throw? In order to get to the disc you want, you are going to have to take the bag off anyway. Why slip it back on before you throw?

I am no contortionist, but I was not even close to reaching back and grabbing a disc. The best way around it is to either have someone else (in this case it was my son) grab the disc you want and put away the one you just used, or have that someone else carry the backpack like a caddie and you just pluck out the one you need. In the latter instance, it worked out great. My 9 year old son can be a caddie, it was incredibly light on his back, and he had control over the water.

A smaller drawback is that it is not feasible to play with 8 discs. The top pocket holds two discs easily enough, and within a day the bottom pocket stretched enough to accommodate two discs, but it is the middle two pockets that become too tight to carry two discs. While you are only using it as storage, you can squeeze two into each pocket, but while playing it becomes too tight to make it worth your while to carry such a bag and fight with discs. I am currently only carrying six discs.

To be fair, it does have some strong points. It does fit snug against the back, making it easy to move around with while wearing it. A few times I had to lumberjack my way into the woods and not once did it interfere with my movements or balance. I did not have to set my bag down like other bags, find the disc, and then head back to the bag to get what I want to throw next. Also, if I happen to need to run or ride a bike, no problem; the discs are rather snug in their pockets and they did not move in the slightest even when the bag was held upside down and jostled. Also, it is nice to have water at your disposal. By drinking through the tube it forces you to drink in moderation, which is better for you on sweltering hot days anyway. The last time I played with my Carolina, I was out of something to drink by hole 12 (out of 27) and had to bum a Gatorade off someone. Last night when using my Shift, to combat a 90+ degree day during league, I purchased 5 dollars worth of refreshments off of someone camping out Hole 1. Yesterday I played a solo round of 18 during the hottest part of the day and I had just under a liter left to go when I finished. I watched as other rec groups were skipping some of the longer holes just to finish up earlier and get out of the heat. The only thing that slowed me down was looking for a disc on Hole 12.

(Un)fortunately I purchased the Focus for novelty sake (the hydropak) when it was on discount. I am hoping that I will grow into it, but for the time being I am using my Shift more and more as it is everything I expected that to be.

I seriously hmm'd over the Shift for ever, then I finally got the opportunity to see it in person. Honestly it is just a tad bit too small for my liking. I typically carry 15-18 discs and a bunch of other stuff, so for me it's not a good fit.

Oh, and the fact that it really doesn't stand upright drove me bonkers.

But on a positive note I really like how responsive UP has been. They have literally answered every question I have thrown at them with pictures and the like! :thmbup:

Also the price point is FAR more attractive than the $250 standard for a good backpack style bag. If they can make a slightly larger bag with a capacity of 20 discs and some good storage, (I'm thinking Grip/Spinal Tap) for $180 max that would kill the competition. UP, Think about selling more quantity and driving your competition out long-term more than short-term profits.

When I first started reading this response, I was thinking that maybe you carry too many discs for the type of rounds that the Shift was designed for. I usually carry 22-25 discs in my Carolina, but that bag only makes it out for my tournaments. I can get by with a core of 7-8 discs with another 2-3 utility. I feel no lack of ability to make shots with the 11 I carry in my Shift.

Yes, I agree that I wish I could carry a few more non-disc items in the bag, but as a whole I wanted to spend some time discuss the ideal situations to use the Shift and whether you play a lot of those kind of rounds.

And then I saw your suggestion about UP making a slightly bigger bag but keeping with their business philosophy so it keeps the price much lower than comparative sized bags.

Without actually playing around the materials and or autocad system UP must have, I am sure a bag similar to the Shift could be made where 6 discs are on the outside, 2 more are added to the vertical pockets on the inside, and with the inside being made a little bigger, the bag would now have room to make single disc slots that are on the inside but flush against the discs that are on the outside. That would give you 6 outside, 10 against your back, and 6 on the inner wall opposite the discs outside. That is 22.

The biggest concern, however, would be that the bag would be more vertical, making it more likely to tip over if something is not done to square up the bag on the bottom.

I seriously hmm'd over the Shift for ever, then I finally got the opportunity to see it in person. Honestly it is just a tad bit too small for my liking. I typically carry 15-18 discs and a bunch of other stuff, so for me it's not a good fit.

Oh, and the fact that it really doesn't stand upright drove me bonkers.

But on a positive note I really like how responsive UP has been. They have literally answered every question I have thrown at them with pictures and the like! :thmbup:

Also the price point is FAR more attractive than the $250 standard for a good backpack style bag. If they can make a slightly larger bag with a capacity of 20 discs and some good storage, (I'm thinking Grip/Spinal Tap) for $180 max that would kill the competition. UP, Think about selling more quantity and driving your competition out long-term more than short-term profits.

i messaged UPD the other day on facebook. they said a slightly bigger bag is in the works for holding up to 20 discs but still trying to stick to the designs aspects of their originals. they wouldnt give me any other info than that. very curious what they will come out with

i messaged UPD the other day on facebook. they said a slightly bigger bag is in the works for holding up to 20 discs but still trying to stick to the designs aspects of their originals. they wouldnt give me any other info than that. very curious what they will come out with

you should just ask if it will stand up on its own better than the Shift.

I would like to hear more about the problems others have with the shift bag standing up. I have used my Shift back for more than 300 holes and it has never fallen over. I would like for the bag to have better footings so its not sitting on the ground but it has never fallen over by it self. This includes on steep hills, rocks and other unstable ground. I guess I just don't understand as I do not have any problems with it not standing up.

now that sounds legit. want to get the shift pretty bad, but a little more disc space would be great.

My wife got me a Shift for fathers day and I love it. Coming from a Voodoo Mojo I was a little worried about space, but I came to realize that most of the things I was carrying I didn't really need or could keep in my car. I also like how much better I feel after each round.

Anyone had the shift for awhile? I am wondering how the water bottle holder holds up? Also can you fit a light jacket in the bottom of the main compartment?

I just purchased a Shift. I kept going back and forth on buying it. I read as many reviews as I could find. But I just decided to pull the trigger and figure it out for myself.

I am just a casual player, but do play through out the Mid Atlantic and North East, so we do have some 'hiking' courses.

As soon as I have used it a couple of time, I will come back at give a review.

Anyone had the shift for awhile? I am wondering how the water bottle holder holds up? Also can you fit a light jacket in the bottom of the main compartment?

I love this bag, however, the water bottle holder is not good quality at all.

The mesh tore through on my first bag. Upper Park were great enough to replace the bag and funded return shipping, which was impressive.

The mesh bottle holder on my second bag tore through after about 2 months of playing.

Depending on what else you are storing in the bag, it could be tight with a jacket. On a normal basis, I carry a small first aid kit, my sunglasses case, a couple cans of soft drinks (or beer), which is fine. A jacket makes it tighter but not unbearable.

When I purchased the Focus, I purchased it with the express interest of using it with the Hydration Pack. I also have the Shift which I intended to use as my everyday bag while I use my Carolina exclusively for tournaments.

I just could not use the hydration pack with the Focus. The discs were too tight and in general the bag was just a chore to lug around for only being able to carry 4 discs. However, once I removed the hydration pack and used it exclusively as a 5 disc carrier (2 in the top pouch and 1 in the other three), I use the Focus almost exclusively except for tournament and league rounds. I still have an old PDGA bag in my trunk which carries all my back-ups and spares, but I simply swap out what five discs I think I will need for the course (usually a Trespass, TL, Soft Judge, Eclipse Soft Ion, and a Z Nebula).

I use the Focus almost exclusively because first and foremost I am certain that I can get by on most courses with five discs (as long as I keep them in the fairway), but secondly because of how light and convenient it now is. Snap it around my waist and my chest and it is like I am not carrying anything at all. All that walking is less cumbersome on my body as a whole, keeping me more refreshed between shots. Again, I am mainly using it for fun rounds when I can move quicker and can play more. I have less time to sit around and catch my breath, unlike in a tournament round where it is mostly sitting.

I am not necessarily trying to be a spokesman for Upper Park, but despite at first feeling like I wasted money on purchasing the Focus, I am now glad I have because it is getting quite the workout.

When I purchased the Focus, I purchased it with the express interest of using it with the Hydration Pack. I also have the Shift which I intended to use as my everyday bag while I use my Carolina exclusively for tournaments.

I just could not use the hydration pack with the Focus. The discs were too tight and in general the bag was just a chore to lug around for only being able to carry 4 discs. However, once I removed the hydration pack and used it exclusively as a 5 disc carrier (2 in the top pouch and 1 in the other three), I use the Focus almost exclusively except for tournament and league rounds. I still have an old PDGA bag in my trunk which carries all my back-ups and spares, but I simply swap out what five discs I think I will need for the course (usually a Trespass, TL, Soft Judge, Eclipse Soft Ion, and a Z Nebula).

I use the Focus almost exclusively because first and foremost I am certain that I can get by on most courses with five discs (as long as I keep them in the fairway), but secondly because of how light and convenient it now is. Snap it around my waist and my chest and it is like I am not carrying anything at all. All that walking is less cumbersome on my body as a whole, keeping me more refreshed between shots. Again, I am mainly using it for fun rounds when I can move quicker and can play more. I have less time to sit around and catch my breath, unlike in a tournament round where it is mostly sitting.

I am not necessarily trying to be a spokesman for Upper Park, but despite at first feeling like I wasted money on purchasing the Focus, I am now glad I have because it is getting quite the workout.

I can easily fit 5 in the focus with the hydrapak full without the pack I have fit 7 and haven't tried 8. I love the bag and it fits my game very well. Also I saw way earlier in this thread that someone couldn't get the discs put back/pulled out with the bag still on your back... This is a myth unless you are a T-rex.

I've been wanting to do a review for a while but just haven't had the time. I'll try and post some more details of above soon.

Their bags are very interesting...but at the same time seem way overpriced. I could see these bags being sold for $40 and $60...but not $70 and $119.

I can easily fit 5 in the focus with the hydrapak full without the pack I have fit 7 and haven't tried 8. I love the bag and it fits my game very well. Also I saw way earlier in this thread that someone couldn't get the discs put back/pulled out with the bag still on your back... This is a myth unless you are a T-rex.

I've been wanting to do a review for a while but just haven't had the time. I'll try and post some more details of above soon.

I have fit a full 8 in the slots, but I found that I was beginning to warp some of the discs in the middle two slots. It also could be that with my power range, I have a tendency to carry more mids and putters than drivers in a small bag. I usually carry two drivers in the top slot with the remaining three holding my Ion, Judge, and Nebula. Sometimes I may squeeze in a fairway driver like a TL or TeeBird in the bottom slot, but it would be wedged in there with a putter. Maybe I just have not loosened up the pockets enough yet, but it also does not bother me because most rec rounds I can easily get by with 5 or 6 discs anyway.

As for now reaching the discs, I admit that I do not have the best flexibility when trying to reach back. I can get into the top pouch easily enough, but the other three, especially with how snug the discs are, are not worth the trouble wrenching my back over. The bag is incredibly light and no hastle whatsoever to put on and take off. As long as I have the straps on and buckled, I have no trouble throwing putters or mids with it, but I have not experimented throwing a full power driver with it more than once. The one time I tried, it was with the hydro pack in it, and it was uncomfortable and threw my balance off. I have not tried with the pack pulled; I bet it would be far more comfortable as it sits more flush against my back now.

Their bags are very interesting...but at the same time seem way overpriced. I could see these bags being sold for $40 and $60...but not $70 and $119.
Why would you set the price points like that? Is it purely based on capacity? What about build quality and materials? Should customer service/support weigh in on the amount you're willing to pay?

Why would you set the price points like that? Is it purely based on capacity? What about build quality and materials? Should customer service/support weigh in on the amount you're willing to pay?

My original price points were somewhat arbitrary because I hadn't seen one in person and based solely on the fact it looks like a run of the mill backpack for the most part. Having now seen one in person, I wouldn't pay more than $20 or $30 for either model. The material is well below average in my opinion. The Water Bottle holder on the one that I looked at had already ripped out. You mention the capacity; I would say that is also a deciding factor in terms of a price point. If it can only hold about 10 disc's...it shouldn't cost over $50. The customer service argument for me isn't a big selling point. It's disc golf and I don't put a whole lot of faith behind customer service for most of the manufacturer's.

My original price points were somewhat arbitrary because I hadn't seen one in person and based solely on the fact it looks like a run of the mill backpack for the most part. Having now seen one in person, I wouldn't pay more than $20 or $30 for either model. The material is well below average in my opinion. The Water Bottle holder on the one that I looked at had already ripped out. You mention the capacity; I would say that is also a deciding factor in terms of a price point. If it can only hold about 10 disc's...it shouldn't cost over $50. The customer service argument for me isn't a big selling point. It's disc golf and I don't put a whole lot of faith behind customer service for most of the manufacturer's.

As a former owner of the Shift I would like to put in my two cents. The shift one very glaring flaw with material and construction and that is the bottle holder, material is poor and if used regularly will fail quickly. Other than that the quality of fabric is the same as grip or any other quality bag. The construction of my bag was great. This bag will last a long time if not a life time (except that cupholder). The quality of materials and constructions for everything but the cup holder is top notch and will be very durable. This bag met my needs at the time and was well worth what I spent, at least in my own opinion.

Latest posts